U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM

13,154 posts, read 12,236,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
What the helll are you talking about? Texas is apart of the United States along with the other 50 states...Mexico wasn't even a republic at one time in history...You act if Mexico was around during 500 b.c.
It was part of Mexico. I'm sure of it.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,211,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but that is largely due to illegal immigration of today and decades past. what is so hard to understand about that?

currently, hispanics make up about 34% of greater houston. if you took away the estimated illegal population, they would make up about 25% of the MSA. now imagine how much smaller that number would be if you took away the texas born children of illegals
I was thinking the same thing...if you take away the anchor babies, Id venture to say that number goes down dramatically..when you also take into account the fact that many of our legal hispanic are dual citizens, there really isnt muchclassically Texan about them at all (in terms of it being their full identity)..if anything, they are only Texans nominally.

This certainly isnt anywhere near all legal hispanics in Texas, but it also isnt a negligible amount either.

But yeah, to answer the question, East Texas is in the Deep south if the Deep south is Mississippi, Alabama, LA etc. The rest of Texas East of the Transpecos is just a variant of the larger south.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 PM

871 posts, read 1,240,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It was part of Mexico. I'm sure of it.
yea, it was. although the northern parts of mexico were sparsely populated at the time. very few people of mexican descent in texas actually descend from families who lived in texas during the time period of which texas was part of mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
But yeah, to answer the question, East Texas is in the Deep south if the Deep south is Mississippi, Alabama, LA etc. The rest of Texas East of the Transpecos is just a variant of the larger south.
^this is correct by the way\

on an ironic sidenote, three years ago TexasReb was the first one to bring up this topic, now it seems he cant get it to go away

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 06-29-2010 at 10:28 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 PM

Either way, if you discount all the illegal immigrants in Texas and the anchor babies, Texas still is probably 5-6million Latinos strong. That's how it is. I don't understand everyone's denial.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,254,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Either way, if you discount all the illegal immigrants in Texas and the anchor babies, Texas still is probably 5-6million Latinos strong. That's how it is. I don't understand everyone's denial.
i highly doubt that. and who's in denial?

edit: probably shouldn't say that i highly doubt that. one thing i'm pretty sure of, without illegal immigrants and the "anchor babies", houston, dallas, and most areas east of i-35 would not be heavily populated with hispanics. even if texas still had a mexican population in the millions, it would most likely be largely concentrated in western and south texas

Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i highly doubt that. and who's in denial?

edit: probably shouldn't say that i highly doubt that. one thing i'm pretty sure of, without illegal immigrants and the "anchor babies", houston, dallas, and most areas east of i-35 would not be heavily populated with hispanics. even if texas still had a mexican population in the millions, it would most likely be largely concentrated in western and south texas
Ok, I see what you mean. It would still be in the millions, just not as much as places East of I-35. I think places ON I-35 but South of Waco(Austin, SA, San Marcos, etc) would still have large Latino populations.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:46 AM

2,523 posts, read 1,896,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Either you're not making a point or we are misunderstanding each other. My post was never questioning what Texas is now. My post was saying that Texas will see a cultural shift in the coming decades due to the rapidly changing demographics and that shows no signs of slowing down.
What kind of cultural shift? Texas has always had a lot of Mexicans. i don't see how more coming is really going to change the Texas culture all that much. I'm honestly more worried about east and west coast transplants doing that.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 AM

13,089 posts, read 13,594,211 times
[quote=AlGreen;14832870]Center for Immigration Studies
[quote]
Looks like they are just simply discussing estimates in that paragraph instead of a regular headcount.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 AM

13,089 posts, read 13,594,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
What kind of cultural shift? Texas has always had a lot of Mexicans. i don't see how more coming is really going to change the Texas culture all that much. I'm honestly more worried about east and west coast transplants doing that.
According to what I'm getting in this thread, there doesn't seem to be many Hispanics or Mexicans in Texas that are actually legal right now so I guess the impact of the Hispanic Community has not been felt by some in Texas in this thread yet. I mean 9 million Hispanics estimated in Texas (being the 2nd largest in the country and being 3 times larger than the next largest Minority group) is somehow insignificant.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:25 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,254,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Center for Immigration Studies
Looks like they are just simply discussing estimates in that paragraph instead of a regular headcount.
Quote:
The Census Bureau also estimates that roughly one million illegal aliens were likely missed in last year's count
this clearly states that illegals were counted in the 2000 census
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas