Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well actually they believe that a majority of illegals were counted

where did i say that i was looking for any information?...like i said, go to the beginning of the discussion and you'll see how the issue of illegal immigration came up

are you from texas or do you live here? there's generally a difference between legals and illegals, but i'm not really trying to get into that
ok found it,
Quote:
you said "it'll last as long as we want it to. like i've said before on here numerous times, a bunch of illegals invaded a place does not magically erase its southernness."

followed by
Originally Posted by Spade
I'm not talking about illegals. I'm talking about legals and legally, Hispanics are about to become the largest group in Texas. They are already the 2nd largest group by a very very large margin.

then you said "but the fact of the matter is that texas' rapidly growing hispanic population is due in large part to the illegals. not those coming here legally"
so it started by you saying that illegal immigrants coming in doesnt change texas' southerness. but how would them being here illegally change it less than them being here legally?

and as far as the difference between legals and illegals, there isnt one. the difference is in how removed from mexican culture they are and how assimilated theyve become. the more generations they have in the states the more assimilated theyll become, regardless of whether or not they come here illegally.

and you appear to be looking for that information. you seem to keep saying that a large amount are anchor babies. but would that information change anything?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Exactly. That is all I am saying. Again, 9 million Hispanics is 9 million Hispanics. Whether they are here legally or not is not the issue and it's pretty much irrelevant. The point is that they are there.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
okay, i get what both of you are saying. when it comes to the exact issue of texas' southernness changing, i guess the official status of the immigrants is irrelevant. BUT it still remains that they do not change the southern status of texas. especially in our most southern region (east texas) where blacks are still the leading minority group. THAT will likely never change

i'm still right about those illegals though

Old 06-30-2010, 03:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
okay, i get what both of you are saying. when it comes to the exact issue of texas' southernness changing, i guess the official status of the immigrants is irrelevant. BUT it still remains that they do not change the southern status of texas. especially in our most southern region (east texas) where blacks are still the leading minority group. THAT will likely never change

i'm still right about those illegals though
If illegals have managed to take over NC and GA; They'll get East TX too. While the southern culture in Texas will always be here; it will eventually lose it's dominance as long as Mexicans continue to flock to Texas.

Welcome to California!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
BOTTOM LINE: Texas was never, is not, and never will be, like GA, NC, TN, MISS, LA, etc. Texas wasn't JUST Anglo and Black in the beginning, and it never will be. Texas was is and will always be(along with Florida) the odd ball in the South. BOTTOM LINE. So certain areas may be losing there Anglo, Black roots or whatever, but Texas as a WHOLE was never meant to be a Anglo and black only state. So I don't see the major deal. I mean look at the place names:Laredo, Amarillo, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, El Paso, etc. Only Houston, Dallas, and Austin seem to be exempt. Texas isn't losing it's culture, if the culture coming was the ORIGINAL culture of the state to begin with.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If illegals have managed to take over NC and GA; They'll get East TX too. While the southern culture in Texas will always be here; it will eventually lose it's dominance as long as Mexicans continue to flock to Texas.

Welcome to California!
i'm pretty sure there are already more hispanics in east texas than in NC and GA

all i'm saying is that blacks will likely always be the largest minority group in this region

Old 06-30-2010, 04:28 PM

20 posts, read 18,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Definitely. I think most of the population does feel more comfortable to the "Southern" tag line.

But geographically, I see Texas more "desert southwest" because of the vast desert lands and mountains in the West side of the state. Anything west of San Antonio is considered desert southwest. We just learned that one in Geography class last semester. There is a line of longitude that separates two large halves of the USA and that line goes right through San Antonio.. It's also got something to do with the average rainfall or some water situation...can't recall perfectly, but I'll take a look at my notes for clarification.

I'll look into my notes and get more detail on that. It's pretty interesting actually.

But most of the population for Texas is "Southern" per say.

no im from north texas and iv ben all over tx trust me were southerners and no txas is not mostly desert we have three geological land scapes, the mountains and deserts are actuly the smallest then you have the great plains wich covers most of the land than in east tx its more of a wooded erea.
but u can say elpaso i western though cuz their mor isolated than any thing else and are in the mwst time zone.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas940 View Post
no im from north texas and iv ben all over tx trust me were southerners and no txas is not mostly desert we have three geological land scapes, the mountains and deserts are actuly the smallest then you have the great plains wich covers most of the land than in east tx its more of a wooded erea.
but u can say elpaso i western though cuz their mor isolated than any thing else and are in the mwst time zone.
You can say Austin and San Antonio are Western.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
BOTTOM LINE: Texas was never, is not, and never will be, like GA, NC, TN, MISS, LA, etc. Texas wasn't JUST Anglo and Black in the beginning, and it never will be. Texas was is and will always be(along with Florida) the odd ball in the South. BOTTOM LINE. So certain areas may be losing there Anglo, Black roots or whatever, but Texas as a WHOLE was never meant to be a Anglo and black only state. So I don't see the major deal. I mean look at the place names:Laredo, Amarillo, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, El Paso, etc. Only Houston, Dallas, and Austin seem to be exempt. Texas isn't losing it's culture, if the culture coming was the ORIGINAL culture of the state to begin with.
actually, after the mexican revolution texas was an anglo and black state

and i love the way you say "BOTTOM LINE" as if your opinion is the ultimate truth. when the fact of the matter is, both i and texasreb have posted numerous sources that support the belief that texas in general has more in common with the south than it's southwestern neighbors. you and everybody else are just going by your feelings and opinions. "well this part of texas doesn't feel southern than me, so it definitely isn't"

Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You can say Austin and San Antonio are Western.
Austin and San Antonio are not western.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas