U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 PM

13,287 posts, read 12,830,837 times
In that map the WHOLE Southeast is in the green range, but when you get around Austin and SA it changes. "Coincidently" when you get around Austin and SA the culture of the state changes also. Perhaps this is where the West begins?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,443,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That map says it all. Everything you posted is EXACTLY what I meant.
well you weren't wording your opinions very well, because i didn't get that AT ALL from your posts. jimmyjohn was essentially saying the same thing texasreb was saying.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,328,819 times
Quote:
How can you say they are representative of Texas culture? A state as vast as Texas has many cultures. I can see Dallas representing Texas culture, but even then, Dallas's culture is different than that of the rest of the South. Dallas is Brisket, Sirloin Steak, Cowboys, Chicken Fried Steak, dry plains, cattle, etc. The Southeast(which is a MAJORITY of the South) is sweet tea, mint juleps, pork, green lush landscape, pine trees, etc.
although I do agree that Texas has many different cultures today, it was shaped around southern culture originally. Culture means people. And the majority of the people in the state of Texas have always lived in the eastern 2/3's. Naturally there was a demographic gradation from east to west, and subsequently there is a cultural gradation from east to west. The strongest culture lies in the eastern 2/3's of the state which directly correlates with its larger populus.

And while I also agree that Dallas is a dusty prarie, I think the logical fallacy here is that the south is a homogenous region to begin with. Take for example the stereotypical pines that everyone loves to bandy about. Well for one, even Mississippi has stretches where there arent many if any pine trees. secondly, the pines west of the Mississippi are different than the pines east of it. Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma pine are all a hardier pine more adaptable to less coastal soil. The pines in coastal areas of Mississippi, NC, south Carolina, Alabama and Georgia are interspersed with spruce pines, whereas the pines in, LA, TX, AR, OK are more likely to be shortleaf, longleafs, or loblolly hybrids. However LA, TX, AR, OK dont have spruce pines. One can go on and on with these small disparities, but in the end, it would be more practical imo, to just realize that no one southern state is exactly like the next vegetatively.

Dallas, is definitely not as lush as areas east of it...but then again it looks like a rainforest compared to New Mexico or Arizona. More appropriately, I think, if we look at climate, then the majority of Texas sits within the same climate zone as other southern states. Historically, climate more than anything influenced culture. Thats what determined what people planted, how they built homes, the food they ate, the clothes they wore, and even their education level etc. so, a climate type similar to other southern regions enabled culture to be easily transplanted to areas of Texas (which is subsequently why, settlement from southeasterners stopped well short of the Trans Pecos region and was most densely concentrated to the eastern 2/3's of the state.).

Im not saying that these things make Dallas, Austin, or san antonio the deep south. Just that they are extensions of the southern region as a whole in my opinion. And I think it gets real dicey when lush green landscape becomes an excluding criteria for being considered a southern region; as lush green landscapes are actually more of a trait of the entire eastern half of the u.s. including the northeast and midwest

Last edited by solytaire; 06-30-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,142,329 times
Quote:
In that map the WHOLE Southeast is in the green range, but when you get around Austin and SA it changes. "Coincidently" when you get around Austin and SA the culture of the state changes also. Perhaps this is where the West begins?
No; the southern culture extends all the way into West Texas.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 PM

Austin and SA topography consist of shrubbery and savannas. Heck even short cactus.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Accents, religion. That's about it.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
So what the heck is the point of having the Saint Louis Arch? We might as well put it in California. Why not include AZ and NM as the South?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Accents, religion. That's about it.

Accents, religion, and more. I fail to see how anything west of 135 has more in common with the west than the south.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
So what the heck is the point of having the Saint Louis Arch? We might as well put it in California. Why not include AZ and NM as the South?
Because unlike Austin and San Antonio; AZ and NM never were located in the south (Like stated before; essentially Texas is a southern state). Both Austin and San Antonio had slavery as well.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,677,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
no, thats not true at all. the southeast stops in texas. basically the southeast ends when the terrain becomes drier and praire like

and pretty much all southern states fit the description of lush/humid

you notice that right at the precipitation gets into the range of 35 to 40 inches the praires begin.

geographically, climatically, and argriculturally texas west of east texas is not southeast, and is praire country until you hit the transpecos, which is geographically, climactically, and agriculturally southwest.

but like i said earlier, texas is in the west, but it is culturally southern (at least most of it is). it is in the west in the sense that it is geographically western, but culturally it is southern. "southern" does not refer to geography, otherwise arizona would be an undisputed southern state simply from looking at a map.

texas is both southern and western, the way georgia is southern and eastern.
You just took what I said all the way out of context.
I was saying, hypothetically, that if GA was the definition of southern then that would be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas