U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,602,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Saddle-back church is one of the LARGEST Southern Baptist churches in the US. And it's located in Orange County California. You can find Southern cuisine restaurants anywhere. Most of the Southern culture you see out there is imported from the East, and it doesn't seem like it's the original culture of the area, much like Bakersfield CA. You can also find imported Southern culture in places like CO.
You do realize that Mississippi and half of Alabama were once considered "the west", by those in the southeast right. With your argument I can just easily say that culture in the states west of Georgia was imported.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
What are we arguing about? I say East Texas is Southern, Austin, and SA are some weird Southern AND Southwestern hybrid, and anything WEST of Austin and SA is part of the Southwest.
Isn't that what everyone is saying???

Old 07-01-2010, 05:10 PM

13,222 posts, read 12,633,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You do realize that Mississippi and half of Alabama were once considered "the west", by those in the southeast right. With your argument I can just easily say that culture in the states west of Georgia was imported.
But that was waaaaaaay back before the Civil War. Any Southern culture that was formed post-bellum Civil War is just that, imported Southern culture. Not the original.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what everyone is saying???
Not at all.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Not at all.
Everyone has agreed that Texas is a mixture of southern with some western influence, but not on the level of NM and AZ. You're the one arguing that outside of East Texas and Houston that Texas IS NOT southern. What are you talking about? You have to be just bored or something. You've went in how many directions with this? Then you have the nerve to practically tell a SA resident that he needs to recheck how he perceives his own city... gtf

Old 07-01-2010, 05:19 PM

418 posts, read 364,588 times
Quote:
Then where are you geographically? You need to look up the definition of the Western US. As you can see they classify SA as being part of the American Southwest, I don't 100% agree with that classification, but it is what it is: San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And you notice anytime they talk about the Texas Medical Center(both Houston and San Antonio) they say they are the best Medical centers in the Southwest, and that DART Rail(in Dallas) is the 1st light-rail system in the Southwest: Dallas Area Rapid Transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I see your point, I always thought central Texas SA/Austin is just as close to the east as it is to the west. Geographically were south-central US but divided by just two and were lumped in with the southwest. The company I used to work for had offices across the nation the Texas/Oklahoma offices were called the south-central region, Chicago/Detroit area Great Lakes region etc. I know plenty of stuff is labeled southwest.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I see your point, I always thought central Texas SA/Austin is just as close to the east as it is to the west. Geographically were south-central US but divided by just two and were lumped in with the southwest. The company I used to work for had offices across the nation the Texas/Oklahoma offices were called the south-central region, Chicago/Detroit area Great Lakes region etc. I know plenty of stuff is labeled southwest.
Still that's geographic. Louisiana and Arkansas has plenty labelled Southwest. Even Mississippi has a lot labelled South-Central and even some Southwest.

I don't the culture of SA so that I can't comment.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Everyone has agreed that Texas is a mixture of southern with some western influence, but not on the level of NM and AZ. You're the one arguing that outside of East Texas and Houston that Texas IS NOT southern. What are you talking about? You have to be just bored or something. You've went in how many directions with this? Then you have the nerve to practically tell a SA resident that he needs to recheck how he perceives his own city... gtf
Isn't that the same as people telling residents of South Florida who don't consider themselves Southerners that they ARE in fact Southerners? People on C-D stay doing that. I know, different city, but it's the same circumstance.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Yeah it's crazy isn't it? I don't know if it's more popular to label them Southwest, but that's how it is. SA and Austin and Central Texas in general seem sooo different than places East of them. I guess moving to Charlotte NC from Austin has completely changed my whole perspective of what is Southern and what isn't.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Isn't that the same as people telling residents of South Florida who don't consider themselves Southerners that they ARE in fact Southerners? People on C-D stay doing that. I know, different city, but it's the same circumstance.
Exactly the same. My point is this.. How do you exclude TX and FL, but not LA, AR, KY, VA, etc.
Every example YOU apply to TX and FL can be applied to them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas