Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times

Advertisements

Texas is like no other state. Its large square mileage holds many geographical and nationality differences. There are mountains, pines, bluebonnets, ocean and gulf, Indian, Mexican, cowboys, ranchers, farmers, high tech, oil, Cajun, Czech, desert, dusty plains, fertile valleys, beautiful parks, recreational lakes. It borders Mexico which gives Texas a unique 'flavor', no pun intended...LOL! East Texas can have a bit of a Louisiana influence. Somewhat southern, yet Lousiana is also a very unique state and not really 'southern' per se. South Texas - with the Rio Grande Valley's year round growing season - again has a large Hispanic population as well as its proximity to the Gulf. North Texas borders Oklahoma, with its own ranching/farming and American Indian influences. Then there's the El Paso area and West Texas. Farming and ranching provide even more diversity.

Texas is a colorful state....rich with tall tales and a diverse history. The older I get, the more I enjoy reading the fascinating history of Texas. No wonder I'm proud to say I'm from Texas.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
I guess it depends on which part of Texas you stay at. Where I'm used to, people (especially black) have no reservations about expressing their dislike for mexicans (namely the illegal aliens).

The only part of Mexican culture I'm familiar with is Taco Sundays.
Well, I lived in Austin. Mexican culture is all over, hell as Americanized as Tex-Mex food is, it still has strong derivatives from Mexico. Same with Tejano Music/Culture. You must be from Deep East Texas.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:49 PM

717 posts, read 898,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, I lived in Austin. Mexican culture is all over, hell as Americanized as Tex-Mex food is, it still has strong derivatives from Mexico. Same with Tejano Music/Culture. You must be from Deep East Texas.
No. I know alotta blacks in Dallas and Houston ain't too fond of Mexicans either.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
No. I know alotta blacks in Dallas and Houston ain't too fond of Mexicans either.
No, I'm not talking about when you said blacks aren't too fond of Mexicans, I was talking about when you said the only Mexican culture you know of is Taco Sundays. Where I lived in Austin, Mexican Culture was way more prominent than that.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Do you really??? Alotta blacks huh??? You associate with alotta ignorant black folks than.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not talking about when you said blacks aren't too fond of Mexicans, I was talking about when you said the only Mexican culture you know of is Taco Sundays. Where I lived in Austin, Mexican Culture was way more prominent than that.
Oh. Well other than eating at mexican restaurants from time to time, what other part of their culture do most black folk in Texas participate in? We don't listen to Tejano, watch telemundo, go to quinceaneras, observe their holidays or festivals, and most of us know very little if any Spanish. We're aware of the history and all, but for the most part, our culture is seperate from theirs.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Oh. Well other than eating at mexican restaurants from time to time, what other part of their culture do most black folk in Texas participate in? We don't listen to Tejano, watch telemundo, go to quinceaneras, observe their holidays or festivals, and most of us know very little if any Spanish. We're aware of the history and all, but for the most part, our culture is seperate from theirs.
I'm saying, where I lived, black folks did some of that. Especially Cinco De Mayo, I mean, who doesn't celebrate Cinco De Mayo? Free holiday of celebration. Maybe that's how ya'll do it in Killeen?

Old 06-25-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I'm saying, where I lived, black folks did some of that. Especially Cinco De Mayo, I mean, who doesn't celebrate Cinco De Mayo? Free holiday of celebration. Maybe that's how ya'll do it in Killeen?
Well there aren't a lot of Mexicans here (lol). But I've lived in different parts of Texas and have never heard of blacks celebrating Hispanic holidays or their culture. Except for maybe San Antonio, but it's not a lot of blacks there anyway.

I'd honestly say that blacks influence Hispanics here more than vice versa.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Texas is like no other state. Its large square mileage holds many geographical and nationality differences. There are mountains, pines, bluebonnets, ocean and gulf, Indian, Mexican, cowboys, ranchers, farmers, high tech, oil, Cajun, Czech, desert, dusty plains, fertile valleys, beautiful parks, recreational lakes. It borders Mexico which gives Texas a unique 'flavor', no pun intended...LOL! East Texas can have a bit of a Louisiana influence. Somewhat southern, yet Lousiana is also a very unique state and not really 'southern' per se. South Texas - with the Rio Grande Valley's year round growing season - again has a large Hispanic population as well as its proximity to the Gulf. North Texas borders Oklahoma, with its own ranching/farming and American Indian influences. Then there's the El Paso area and West Texas. Farming and ranching provide even more diversity.

Texas is a colorful state....rich with tall tales and a diverse history. The older I get, the more I enjoy reading the fascinating history of Texas. No wonder I'm proud to say I'm from Texas.
Louisiana not really southern? Never heard that before.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:28 AM

462 posts, read 719,867 times
Fort Worth, San Antonio, Lubbock, Austin, El Paso = Western
Dallas, Houston = Southern

To me humidity is a key part of the south. Dry = west to me. Everything gets dry west of Fort Worth. El Paso is a true western city, while the others may be more in line with Great Plains cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas