Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But the flaw in that is, there ARE people who were born and raised in these "debatable" areas of Texas and Florida who do NOT consider themselves Southern.
I hearby move that Texas, Florida, Arkansas, Louisiana, Virginia, Oklahoma, and Kentucky are no longer southern. All who agree say I.

:looks around with blank stare:

Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I hearby move that Texas, Florida, Arkansas, Louisiana, Virginia, Oklahoma, and Kentucky are no longer southern. All who agree say I.

I won't say I, but I'll say eh. I'm not sure about this.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I won't say I, but I'll say eh. I'm not sure about this.
Say, I'm just going off what you said bra.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:47 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yes it is. i've never met a houstonian who wasn't quick to call themselves a southerner
I guess we know different Houstonians. I've rarely anyone form any of the big cities in Texas refer to themselves as a "Southerner" but then again, I guess it's not something that comes up in conversation, which that in itself might prove my point that a lot of people here (that I know at least) don't really take that much interest in the rest of the South. Like the old saying goes "here, everyone is a Texan first and everything else second".

Old 06-28-2010, 12:55 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
I kinda agree with AlGreen and TexasReb. From my experience East Texas is no different from North Louisiana and Mississippi and Southeast Texas is very similar to South Louisiana and Southwest Mississippi. If you ask me AL and GA are different from MS and LA, but they are still undoubtedly southern so why doubt those areas of TX?
Yeah that small strip of Texas East of Houston along Louisiana and Arkansas border is VERY Southern. Anyone who denies that has never been there. The rest of the state, for the most part, doesn't have nearly as strong of a Southern influence. IMO, after living in seven different cities in Texas, the two strongest cultures that stuck out to me have been the Texas Western culture and the Mexican American culture.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:56 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
Does Texas have more characteristics of a Western state or a Southern state? In other words: Is it more like Wyoming or Alabama?

There's the rodeo, but there are more Southern accents. There are lots of cowboys, but it was a part of the Confederacy.

As far as culture goes, is Texas more Western or Southern?

Texas is more Texan.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I was just making a thread right now called "Should Texas be a region of it's own?" But you beat me to it by a minute, I was about to click "submit post" too.

Texas in the more populated areas is more Southern by population, but more Western by topography and landscapes. More of the state out West and in the Panhandle have western characteristics.

It's a bit of both. If you call Texas southern, can you imagine how people in El Paso would feel?

Overall, I saw Texas is Texas- one of it's own. To be a Texan means to be from a state with lower Midwestern, desert southwestern, and west southern characteristics. That is what defines Texas.

I think saying lower Midwestern, Southern, or Desert Southwestern are all inaccurate as the state overall has all three, to dismiss two and leave one is not idealogical. IMO, Texas = Texas. Should be it's own region, definitely big enough to be.
(see highlighted above)

Spot on.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn1986 View Post
Texas is Texas.

Mostly every Southern state has a foreign colonial influence (Spanish or French), perhaps some native influences and their ties to the Confederacy. Texas is unique because it's primary "foreign" influence being Spain/Mexico never really went away...so to speak.

Louisiana has lots of Spanish and French culture for example...but you don't have millions of citizens of Paris or Madrid immigrating to Louisiana each year to reinforce those ties. In addition to that, Texas is unique in that while most Southern states have Scots-Irish, Spanish and French as the primary "white immigrants"...Texas had quite a few Germans, Poles and Czechs to give it some northern flavor in Central Texas.

Most people will SAY that Texas is southern but when asked to describe Texas..will describe it in a way that is more consistent with the desert southwest.

In other words, Texas is both (with some Great Plains thrown in for sure). It is the one state whose identity supercedes any region and should be classified as it's own region.
(see highlighted above)

Spot on.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Moving to Dallas from the Southeastern U.S. (Georgia). There isnt a lot about Dallas that is southern. If you go east of Dallas you definitely have more of a southern feel. That is a very small area of the Texas though.
I have yet to meet someone here that has called themselves a southerner. Its always "Texan".

Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:

the others i guess i could understand, but who in their right mind would question louisiana as a southern state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas