Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Do you want your tax dollars spent keeping a prisoner up for the rest of his life who raped & murdered a little girl? I sure as hell don't.

It costs more to execute someone than to house them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Really? For how long? Can you cite some actual figures? And are you talking about actually executing them or the cost of appeal after appeal after appeal? And are you talking about housing them for 30 years and then executing them, or executing them within a reasonable period of time after conviction? (Remember, the cost of housing them for 30 years does not count as part of the cost of executing them, for these purposes.)

Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Its a disgrace there have been dozens of people murdered by the State in Texas for crimes they didnt commit. The discussion ends there for any civilized person, that is cause enough to do away with the death penalty. The Justice system is incorrect enough of the time that it simply is not a viable form of Justice.

If you honestly think a poor black man accused of murder with supposed eye witness testimony by a well thought of white person as the only evidence will get a fair trial in the State of Texas you're lying to yourself. This sort of verifiable prejudice in the Justice System is also another reason the death penalty should not exist.

Last edited by orbius; 06-28-2010 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Its the old eye for an eye tooth for a tooth....If someone murdered a loved one of mine, I'd want him or her gone from the planet.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:03 AM

423 posts, read 824,038 times
Wild West mentality + Ignorance. If Texans took the time to calculate and compare the costs of death penalty versus life in prison they would see that it actually costs less to incarcerate someone for life rather than execute them.

Everyone in favor of death penalty always mentions some hypothetical "child killer" while forgetting about the execution of an innocent man based entirely on the fact that he listened to Iron Maiden so that means he's a Satanist.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 AM

423 posts, read 824,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Its a disgrace there have been dozens of people murdered by the State in Texas for crimes they didnt commit.
I agree. This is pretty scary. Even though most of these peoples convictions were overturned, still, I imagine what they had to go through, being on a death row for crimes they didn't commit.

Quote:
If you honestly think a poor black man accused of murder with supposed eye witness testimony by a well thought of white person as the only evidence will get a fair trial in the State of Texas you're lying to yourself.
Well... Just to be fair, here's the full racial breakdown on people executed in Texas since 1982 (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm - broken link):

Black - 168 (36.5%)
Hispanic - 77 (16.7%)
White - 213 (46.3%)
Other - 2 (0.4%)
Total - 460

Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I agree. This is pretty scary. Even though most of these peoples convictions were overturned, still, I imagine what they had to go through, being on a death row for crimes they didn't commit.

Well... Just to be fair, here's the full racial breakdown on people executed in Texas since 1982 (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm - broken link):

Black - 168 (36.5%)
Hispanic - 77 (16.7%)
White - 213 (46.3%)
Other - 2 (0.4%)
Total - 460
Well blacks I would argue are at more of a disadvantage out of the gate in the Judicial system. But poor, uneducated whites are also thats for sure.
The fact is these people are guilty until proven innocent despite the law saying the opposite should be true.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
First of all, well said Metro-Matt! And as to the OP's question, perhaps it is because most Texans believe in simple justice? That is, there are some crimes so heineous and brutal that those who commit them deserve the ultimate penalty.

Quote:
Its a disgrace there have been dozens of people murdered by the State in Texas for crimes they didnt commit. The discussion ends there for any civilized person, that is cause enough to do away with the death penalty. The Justice system is incorrect enough of the time that it simply is not a viable form of Justice.
Please name them, will you? And you know good and well murder is a term used to describe the unlawful (operative word here) taking of a human life. Capital punishment is the legal penalty for such under certain limited circumstances. In some ways akin to self-defense and fighting in a just war.

I would not deny that, over the years, there have undoubtably been innocent people executed. That is probably just a law of averages fact. And that bothers me like it would any other person. BUT...there are so many safeguards anymore that the chances are extremely remote. Also, what is the alternative? Life without parole? I could actually go along with that on some levels...but often those who oppose the death penalty are of a mindset that sees violent crimes as the result of societies faults and not as an individual act of evil and pleasure in taking advantage of and hurting and harming others. Thus, they are generally opposed to the concept of punishment at all.

Quote:
If you honestly think a poor black man accused of murder with supposed eye witness testimony by a well thought of white person as the only evidence will get a fair trial in the State of Texas you're lying to yourself. This sort of verifiable prejudice in the Justice System is also another reason the death penalty should not exist.
What is this "verifiable predjudice" you are raving about? The "predjudice" seems to be on your part against Texans in general. Can you give a concrete example of this in recent memory?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:

I used to be for the death penalty until I learned about this aspect of it. Executing even one innocent person is not acceptable. As long as they can never leave prison, what difference does it make if they are dead or not?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
OP your 'revenge' and 'wild-west' commentary seems a bit pejorative, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas