Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:14 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I know this state is very religious, but are they tolerant about atheists ?
Just like anywhere else in the USA, some people are and some people aren't. It was certainly never a problem for my father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:02 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
I'm a Texan atheist, and I've had no problems. So yea, as long as you don't preach it, you'll be fine (and that goes to every belief system).

Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 PM

423 posts, read 823,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I know this state is very religious, but are they tolerant about atheists ?
Being a non-believer myself I often see hostility and resentment towards atheists but mostly on internet message boards and Faux News, in real life no one has ever really snapped at me about it (and I spent 2.5 years in rural South Texas) other than annoying attempts by some evangelicals to explain that I'm wrong.

Personally I think this whole "Texas intolerance" is slightly exaggerated. Americans in general are scared of direct confrontation and won't press you on the issue if you disagree with them, especially if they barely know you. Texans are no exception. The stereotype outside of Texas is that if you find yourself having a conversation with a rural Texan and tell him that you're an atheist, pro-choice, support gay marriages, and voted for Obama he's just gonna shoot you, in reality there most likely gonna be few seconds of awkward silence and a change of a subject. Afterwards the worst that could happen is that that person will stop talking to you.

PS. There's also seem to be a gender factor, in Texas at least. Men never cared about my beliefs it was usually women who were giving me attitude about it.

Not trying to insinuate anything here... just sayin'

Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
...as long as you don't preach it, you'll be fine (and that goes to every belief system).
Ever seen religious flyers? I see them all the time, in convenience stores, in laundromats, in rest stops. Now, have you ever seen atheist flyers? Me neither! So, who's preaching really?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
There are a lot more believers in TX than there are atheists, and well-financed ones too. That explains the flyers. They are trying to drum up business. I'm a Texas atheist and have no problems, but I don't get up into anyone's face about it. Live and let live, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
There are a lot more believers in TX than there are atheists, and well-financed ones too. That explains the flyers.
I'm not puzzled by the origins of the flyers. I think it's pretty obvious that if Texas was an atheist state we would see just as many atheist flyers. And folks would be just as annoyed about religious pamphlets.

I was simply disagreeing with Fillmont that Christianity isn't preached in Texas.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Ever seen religious flyers? I see them all the time, in convenience stores, in laundromats, in rest stops. Now, have you ever seen atheist flyers? Me neither! So, who's preaching really?
Flyers? Actually, I've not seen any of either, now that I think of it, in ages (thinking back to my time at UT when occasionally someone would hand me one as I was walking down the street - but that was 40 years ago!).

As for prosletyzing, THAT I've seen, and lately, more often from atheists than from the members of various other faiths (and, yes, for some, atheism is just as much a religion as is Catholicism or Protestantism of whatever hue). Not in person - it's just not polite - but on various message boards and lists.

Though they will uniformly deny it to their dying day, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you're going to have a very hard time convincing me its a dog.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM

86 posts, read 199,081 times
I don't think you will have any problems. I'm a Christian myself and I've been friends with several atheists over the years and it's always been a non issue. We aren't near as intolerant as the rest of the country would have you believe, as others have said most people live and let live.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I'm not puzzled by the origins of the flyers. I think it's pretty obvious that if Texas was an atheist state we would see just as many atheist flyers. And folks would be just as annoyed about religious pamphlets.

I was simply disagreeing with Fillmont that Christianity isn't preached in Texas.
Oh, I never meant to say that Christianity isn't preached - far from it. But the flyers aren't terribly intrusive. I was talking more about street preachers and that sort - you don't really get much of that, at least in my experience. And when you do, well, they get ignored.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Flyers? Actually, I've not seen any of either, now that I think of it, in ages (thinking back to my time at UT when occasionally someone would hand me one as I was walking down the street - but that was 40 years ago!).

As for prosletyzing, THAT I've seen, and lately, more often from atheists than from the members of various other faiths (and, yes, for some, atheism is just as much a religion as is Catholicism or Protestantism of whatever hue). Not in person - it's just not polite - but on various message boards and lists.

Though they will uniformly deny it to their dying day, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you're going to have a very hard time convincing me its a dog.
I think a distinction should be made between the Gung-Ho Internet Atheist and the Regular Has-Other-Things-To-Worry-About Atheist. One is just as normal as everyone else, and the other is, well, on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas