Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,351,245 times

Advertisements

I know this state is very religious, but are they tolerant about atheists ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,467,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Calm yourself. Not sure what ficton you have read through, but we're rather diverse and tolerant.

You might actually make it out without being burned at the nearest stake

Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,830,992 times
Texas is way too diverse to generalize like that.

Big cities are generally more tolerant, and Texas has more than its fair share of big cities.

Small towns on the other hand are usually more religious (just like every are of the country).

Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 PM

354 posts, read 710,020 times
Default Really?

You 'know' the state is very religious? It's a big state, I am not from here, (I live in San Antonio, currently) I am originally from the Northeast(Boston), but moved here from Los Angeles 1.5 years ago. I'm moving back to L.A., but only because I am getting married. FYI, I am agnostic, and am not particularly religious in any way, but open to other's ideas about religion.
I suppose parts of the state are very religious--perhaps East Texas--but I say that cautiously as I don't know for sure. I guess if you are moving to some backwater small town--perhaps. Not in the major cities.
I can only say that I havn't found it to be anymore 'religious' here than it was for me in Los Angeles or Hawaii or Boston for that matter, when I lived in those places. I've seen more of kind of a 'live and let live' laid back attitude here, in South Texas. It really is a lot more chill here than back in L.A., OR Boston.
For some perspective, a girlfriend of mine who had NEVER been to Texas, and had this idea (probably got it from watching too many westerns on TV) that there were only tumbleweeds, cows and churches here, was shocked that not only were there no cows or tumbleweeds--but churches aren't exactly hanging on every corner (but you'll find a strip club close by if you need that type of entertainment --seriously, I've never seen so many *****-bars in my life).
Just realize you really can't generalize about an entire state. That's why I find it annoying when people say that Massachusetts is full of rude, horrible people--and then say that I must be an anomaly, because, well, I'm nice. Perhaps you should get out, travel around and get a feel for the place before jumping to conclusions. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,815,108 times
Quote:
As long as the atheist stays out of your face, and doesn't make a big deal about being an atheist (which is true of nearly anything else, too)!

Texas is pretty much a mind-your-own-business (and you won't be minding mine, as the old saying/song goes) and a live-and-let-live sort of place, even in small-town West Texas (which is generally very conservative).

Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,377,336 times
Quote:

They still burn them at the stake as witches.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,830,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
They still burn them at the stake as witches.
yep, bbq witches are yummy, another great texas secret

Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,815,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yep, bbq witches are yummy, another great texas secret
Any particular sauce for them...?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:58 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,351,245 times
OK I understood
Good to know, thanks everybody

Old 07-11-2010, 02:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,742,124 times
Quote:
OK I understood
Good to know, thanks everybody
I have nothing against an athiest, I have learned as a christian to love everyone no matter what they believe in or wherever they come from. (I'm not trying to get religious)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas