Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 PM

18 posts, read 31,393 times

Advertisements

Hi Texas,
-Can't wait to meet you. I'm trying very hard to get out there.But I do want to make sure that Texas is more than just a dream or just a mirage. Will I be moving to a better place?? Are there jobs for someone with a Sociology degree, has only polite conversational/remedial Spanish, in their 30's, cauc. female (still rock'in), and looking for about $30,000 per year.Really, how is your economy? How is it for women to find a job? What cities do you recommend? Not finding much in the way of granny flats or cottages to rent- do you all call them something else? I go on craigslist and other listings but I'm not sure if I'm getting an accurate picture. I'm about three months away from throwing my stuff in a U-haul and making the trek- I've made most of the big provisions already but it will be a crazy sight unseen midlife move.Do single, normal,straight men in their thirties reside in Texas? 'Cause they don't out here. If so, which towns have a good amount? After a year of unemployment due to our slumping economy, cut backs in my many fields (social services, special ed., and customer service), and just being obsolete at a fairly young age without being fluently bilingual and techie. We're used to having at least 2 jobs and a degree just to barely get by here thus the varied fields. I know it's a lot to ask so pick just one or two things to answer to if you have the time and I will greatly appreciate any of your advice or just friendly chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
You'll do okay wherever you land. San Antonio/Austin, hill country. Houston, flat lands near the gulf, hot and humid. Dallas, slightly hilly (some call it high ground) hot and sometimes humid.

Each is a busy place with growth potential. Austin and Dallas have lots of customer service. Houston has lots of everything. The degree will be recognized as a good thing.

Load up the wagon and don't look back. You'll find your man...

Bring cash.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
And if it's going to be up to 3 months before your move then send off now for your Texas Travel Guide, so by time you get here you'll know where you are.

IT"S FREE ! ! !

Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks- good advice. Ordered one travel guide already but will get another for consensus, 'tofurkey'. Don't really know where you are till you've been there for a while. 'Can't see the true colors for a while but the advice from those who have been there longer is the next best thing. Google Earth is great- just wish it could go into some of those homes and show me if me perspective neighbors are safe or potential nuts.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 PM

And a gun??

Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM

293 posts, read 909,406 times
If you can tolerate the summer heat and humidity you should be fine. It doesn't bother me, but I'm a native.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Before you leave remember you are not moving to SoCal, you are moving to somewhere new, with new things to offer and new experiences. Don't expect it to be the same. Give it a chance but visit Socal as often as possible until you ween yourself off of it.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 PM

I've got long wild curly hair in dry heat- guess I can wear hats. Or maybe it will have the reverse affect and I'll finally have every woman's dream come true....good hair day's in the midst of adversity and humidity. Yes, I'll take bad hair over joblessness, the grapes of wrath, and spinsterhood, 'garxhap'.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 PM

If I didn't visit often my mother would drag my butt so fast I'd be spinning.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 AM

293 posts, read 909,406 times
Humidity will definately make your hair curl more. It's supposed to be great for the skin, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas