U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city in Texas?
Austin 26 20.47%
Dallas 33 25.98%
El Paso 2 1.57%
Fort Worth 4 3.15%
Houston 81 63.78%
San Antonio 7 5.51%
Midland 1 0.79%
Corpus Christi 1 0.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,508,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
So you're an insomniac like me? I think for a really tall building it will be Houston, even though I'm not a huge "scraper dude."
Haha yeah. I only get a maximum of 4 hours of sleep each night. Normally these days since I actually do work in urban planning and journalism for it, I figure I could not only do work at night but also fuel my hobby for urban planning to.

Thus threads like these. Haha. The sad thing about it is though is that it's only a summer job, then back to school soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,209,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
I'm also one who would prefer midrises in Dallas over a supertall.

The Spire development that was announced this week should help fill out the eastside of the Downtown Dallas skyline beyond Chase Tower.

Spire

Topic:

I think the next supertall in Texas would be built in Houston.

More Pictures

Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 PM

8,899 posts, read 8,183,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
I'm also one who would prefer midrises in Dallas over a supertall.

The Spire development that was announced this week should help fill out the eastside of the Downtown Dallas skyline beyond Chase Tower.

Spire

Topic:

I think the next supertall in Texas would be built in Houston.
Actually, the Spire development has been proposed for at least ten months now.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,209,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Actually, the Spire development has been proposed for at least ten months now.
They announced the project yesterday.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 PM

8,899 posts, read 8,183,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
They announced the project yesterday.
I've seen renderings of it since last October.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,443,120 times
You guys are both right.

Spire was announced months ago (in 2009, I believe) but plans to move forward on the project were announced just yesterday.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:38 AM

21 posts, read 27,772 times
Hey I think that Austin deserves the next supertall. Its the cleanist large city in Texas. And its the shining beacon of hope. It has the tech companies that makes it feel like Silicon Valley in Cali. If they build it, they will attract the world here and it will launch a new city view. We cant compete in a world market if Austin chooses to stay a small big city. Letting go of the party town image of 6th st. and embracing a more dynamic infrastructure will support the new and ever changing skyline of the future. Looking at the Asian city skylines and comparing them to ours in the U.S. shows how we pale in comparision. Our Texas cities need to stay true to the slogan "everything is bigger in Texas." Building supertalls stops the spread of sprawl by bringing more housing to the downtown area and building lightrail and commuter rails to San Antonio and Dallas would help the entire state. We will be left behind in te dust of all the great cities of the world if we dont launch our cities into the next generation of American city skylines and railways.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:36 PM

3,486 posts, read 1,354,978 times
If you could name three, I'd look at Houston, Austin, or Dallas. I'm sure there is concern about Dallas' downtown since it's next to Love Field's flight pattern, but it wouldn't hurt to go just ten stories beyond the Bank of America tower if the conditions and location are right.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:12 PM

772 posts, read 514,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
If you could name three, I'd look at Houston, Austin, or Dallas. I'm sure there is concern about Dallas' downtown since it's next to Love Field's flight pattern, but it wouldn't hurt to go just ten stories beyond the Bank of America tower if the conditions and location are right.
That could work. I dont know if it's the height restriction but I just dont see Dallas getting the next supertall. People here are more worried about midrise buildings and infill. The areas that are currently becoming more urbanized are the areas that are even closer to Love Field than Downtown (Victory, Uptown..) so I dont see it happening. I see Houston building one or two more before we build our first. Dallas will definitely build more similiar in height to Museum Tower but not an actual supertall in the forseable future.

I think one by the High-Five would look wicked as you drive by there.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 AM

3,056 posts, read 2,180,494 times
I think it would be cool....right around Medical city hospital,at Coit and 635.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas