Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city in Texas?
Austin 28 21.71%
Dallas 33 25.58%
El Paso 2 1.55%
Fort Worth 4 3.10%
Houston 82 63.57%
San Antonio 7 5.43%
Midland 1 0.78%
Corpus Christi 1 0.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,968,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I would estimate a similar project in Chicagoland would take an extra 2-4 years.
That's not even an exaggeration. The snow and weather of much of the Midwest and Northeast render roads to deteriorate into poor condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well it's happening NOW. They've already moved buildings and started digging canals. It should be finished by 2015.

And I'm sorry... wasn't this thread about SUPERTALLS? When did it turn into highway discussions? lol

Houston, Dallas, and Austin are in line to get a new supertall in this state in that order.

San Antonio won't because it cares more about street level and smaller highrises.

Fort Worth won't because the city has been too conservative with its skyline.

And El Paso wont because... well, have you seen what it looks like? They don't even have a real skyscraper yet.
Potentially with the mountain backdrop, El Paso has the opportunity (whenever it decides to unlock it's inner building boom) to have one of the most mountain scenic skylines in the country.
Same goes for Albuquerque & Tucson.

I believe the Trinity River Project can lead to high rise construction in downtown Fort Worth, right? That is what I have seen from their plan, and they are after all modeling it after Vancouver, Canada.

San Antonio isn't at that phase yet, but I believe sooner or later in a few decades they will be. They still have a vast amount of land in city area, and a lot of rural space to develop first, so they will build outward before building in the core, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,818,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

Potentially with the mountain backdrop, El Paso has the opportunity (whenever it decides to unlock it's inner building boom) to have one of the most mountain scenic skylines in the country.
Same goes for Albuquerque & Tucson.

I believe the Trinity River Project can lead to high rise construction in downtown Fort Worth, right? That is what I have seen from their plan, and they are after all modeling it after Vancouver, Canada.

San Antonio isn't at that phase yet, but I believe sooner or later in a few decades they will be. They still have a vast amount of land in city area, and a lot of rural space to develop first, so they will build outward before building in the core, IMHO.
It's funny, because Star-Telegram editors called said it would make Fort Worth "the Vancouver of the South", and to a certain extent, it's true. It would add more potential high rises and mid rises. I'll send ya the link later.....

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,968,306 times
Quote:
It's funny, because Star-Telegram editors called said it would make Fort Worth "the Vancouver of the South", and to a certain extent, it's true. It would add more potential high rises and mid rises. I'll send ya the link later.....
Please do. I really have been anticipating the chance to see it.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:02 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,004,153 times
Quote:
I remember seeing a version of the plan they want to implement in downtown Ft. Worth a while back and it looked really good! I'll have to check that out again and see if they've made any changes. That would be awesome if Fort Worth could get a few more high rises or mid rises.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,818,073 times
Until I find what I'm really lookin' for, here's some vids of the Fort Worth TRV.

YouTube - A Stroll Through Trinity Uptown

YouTube - Trinity River Vision Bypass Channel Scale Model Video

YouTube - Trinity Bluff - Concept Video

Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,741,122 times
Quote:
Nice videos.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM

443 posts, read 1,562,666 times
I tend to agree with the guys who are suggesting more mid rises needed for Dallas' skyline. Fortunately, development is coming through for us. The new Museum District tower will fill in a bit of a hole in the Dallas skyline between downtown and cityplace. I would think a super tall wouldn't look bad in that area by the way. Not much space to place it at the moment. With Cityplace already there and a few midrise buildings going up on the eastside of downtown, I think a 1,000 foot skyscraper would look really good there.

Of course, there aren't even any rumors, so thats a distant dream.

The uptown building boom has already done alot for Dallas' skyline, definately makes it have a more mature urban look, especially coming in on I30 from Fort Worth.

By the way I30 in Arlington is getting the redo for the super bowl, end of story. Houston always has had more pull with transportation projects. Now that John Carona(transportation committe chairman from Dallas) is getting the boot from governor good hair, we'll be going back to second fiddle with a Houstonian coming in to replace him. It's suicide to mention something besides toll roads around rick perry.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:27 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,936,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Which Texas City will get the next supertall, and why do you think so? Give explanation for your answer.

I normally search things like this when I can't go to sleep. 2008, they proposed a 89 story building for Uptown Houston, they haven't canceled that idea yet but it's been dormant for 2 years now.
The developer was from Dubai, and he purchased the land there and wanted to make that building.

I know the liklihood of that one being built is minimal to zero, doesn't take a genius to know that.

But with plans like that always coming up, it's always really fun to talk about skyscrapers, IMHO and speculate. This thread is for all the other architecture/skyscraper-a-holics, if you don't like it, please refrain from posting.

Anyways my summary:
If plans like that do keep pushing into the surface and keep coming up, it's only a matter of years until someone takes it and drives it into a vision and a work of art is born and made.
I have seen two supertall proposals for Houston in the past 2 years alone... that is enough for me to think that when the city economically stabilizes and fixes it's vacancy rates that it will put some of these plans to action especially with the population boom and being the only centralized city in it's metropolitan area- thus need to attract people to the inner city and densify where all the jobs are at.

Rendering of the supertall that would've been (for Houston): The plan isn't dead, but I highly doubt it will happen.

So which city in Texas do you feel is going to be first to get the next supertall? And anyone else got any rendering or information to share of other proposed/canceled supertalls for any of these cities in their history? We might as well share all that could've been right here. It's cool talking about buildings.
So you're an insomniac like me? I think for a really tall building it will be Houston, even though I'm not a huge "scraper dude."

Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,352,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
I tend to agree with the guys who are suggesting more mid rises needed for Dallas' skyline. Fortunately, development is coming through for us. The new Museum District tower will fill in a bit of a hole in the Dallas skyline between downtown and cityplace. I would think a super tall wouldn't look bad in that area by the way. Not much space to place it at the moment. With Cityplace already there and a few midrise buildings going up on the eastside of downtown, I think a 1,000 foot skyscraper would look really good there.

Of course, there aren't even any rumors, so thats a distant dream.

The uptown building boom has already done alot for Dallas' skyline, definately makes it have a more mature urban look, especially coming in on I30 from Fort Worth.
I'm also one who would prefer midrises in Dallas over a supertall.

The Spire development that was announced this week should help fill out the eastside of the Downtown Dallas skyline beyond Chase Tower.

Spire

Topic:

I think the next supertall in Texas would be built in Houston.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,741,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
I'm also one who would prefer midrises in Dallas over a supertall.

The Spire development that was announced this week should help fill out the eastside of the Downtown Dallas skyline beyond Chase Tower.

Spire

Topic:

I think the next supertall in Texas would be built in Houston.
I hope this gets built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas