Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
Usually when people decide to bash something, they secretly admire it. Just like when 'straight' men are EXTREMELY homophobic, they've usually got issues with their own sexuality. He's made a whole lot of posts and polls about Texas/comparing TX to something else. You then start to wonder where his fascination comes from.
There's tons of Texas-bashing (and general South-bashing) in the General US and City vs City forums. To the point of being ridiculous. I attribute it to ignorance, jealousy/resentment (with the economy), and maybe some of what you say above. Outsiders are especially hard on Houston... I think that they can't stand that an openly gay mayor and the whole Montrose scene can exist in harmony right next to one of the country's largest megachurches, in a (gasp) Texas city, and hate all of the recognition it gets by publications and organizations that actually matter (rather than pop culture) for its fabulous museums, restaurants, arts, economy, and vibrant, tree-covered neighborhoods in town. It's much easier for them to pretend none of that exists, say it's not a real city, or call it a dump/pit and still in the same form as in the 1970's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 PM

354 posts, read 712,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
There's tons of Texas-bashing (and general South-bashing) in the General US and City vs City forums. To the point of being ridiculous. I attribute it to ignorance, jealousy/resentment (with the economy), and maybe some of what you say above. Outsiders are especially hard on Houston... I think that they can't stand that an openly gay mayor and the whole Montrose scene can exist in harmony right next to one of the country's largest megachurches, in a (gasp) Texas city, and hate all of the recognition it gets by publications and organizations that actually matter (rather than pop culture) for its fabulous museums, restaurants, arts, economy, and vibrant, tree-covered neighborhoods in town. It's much easier for them to pretend none of that exists, say it's not a real city, or call it a dump/pit and still in the same form as in the 1970's.
I like that post so much and think it's so much better than my own, that because of my sour grapes I am going to make a whole thread bashing you! (I did increase your rep though).

Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
AK123, there's literally only one or two times in the history I have had on this site where I disagree with you. And once again you've had a great post.

This is what I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason why DFW & Houston are so hated is because they are growing, they are economically fit, and they have a bright future. Have you noticed the large majority of the backlash and insults come from Philadelphia & Chicago posters?
Chicago posters even in the most basic threads always state "they can pass it up but they will never be Chicago" and after stating that they continue to say something to belittle the two places. The inferiority complex a lot of sensitive posters on this site have is beyond amazing to say the least.

Philadelphia posters in no way logically can grasp that their city has been passed up, they defy logic and try to go beyond US Census. I have proven to them time and time again that Houston & DFW are both 5.6+ million in the same area that Philadelphia has. Then the conversation turns into density which appears to be their trump card.
It happens in every thread, it can be a thread about swimming pools in Houston and the thread literally turns into something like that.
I leave special instructions to posters from Philadelphia because I don't want any of my threads getting derailed with their nonsense.
I have never insulted Philadelphia before to prove a point, the fact that it is a very poverty striken city, very corrupt, it's in a state on the brink of economic collapse, & their crime rate is the highest of any of the top 10 largest metropolitan areas by far, and not to mention they rank below Houston & DFW in nearly every kind of importance list... I have been fair and have never brought any of that up before to use as a "trump card" to win in an argument.

And quite frankly the obsession people have with Texas on this site in general is beyond annoying and kind of creepy, they go out of their way with hours of research just to bring it down. Can you believe that? I tell you some people here are losers. I'm not saying every poster from Chicago & Philadelphia are like that because most certainly aren't but those two cities have posters who apparently hate Houston & Dallas the most. I myself am a Chicago poster as well as a Houston poster.

I have received some very dirty messages from people from Chicago lately, in which they have said some of the most absurd and violent things imaginable about Houston. Not just one poster but quite a few.

There are just so many misconceptions that Texas and its cities and people have to live with. We'll see where our cities go. And in all honesty the future for Texas is bright, Houston & DFW especially. I'm going to say what a friend on these boards told me, LAnative10- I think the best thing to do is just to avoid posts like that from now on. Honestly they feed off of homerism and defense more than anything, if they criticize Houston's theater district leave it, they are ignorant to it. Don't correct them because that would start a larger war on the threads.
Honestly & Dallas posters have good intentions and are only defending the place they call home, but some of them do get carried away with it too.

I try to avoid mentioning Houston or Texas in most of my posts from now on in the General US & City VS City section, it always and I mean always starts something. The less you talk about those places the happier your time on this site will be.

And as for why Houston gets more heat than Dallas, Houston is the leader when it comes to this type of development, it has 579 square miles, the minds of those whom are ignorant- it does not compute to them, it is always easier to pick on 579 square miles of Houston (4th largest city in US) than it is to 350 square mile of Dallas. It is by far much easier to do it.

Often at times I find myself Houston, Los Angeles, & Texas cities (all of them) defending more than anything else including Chicago because people go off sole generalization for these places and know little about them. You will see the most pathetic posters on this site go out of their way to bring a place down, they are losers, have no life, and you should treat them as if they don't exist instead of meddling with them. Because in reality you end up wasting your time confronting trash at its finest, why get your hands dirty touching trash?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
AK123, there's literally only one or two times in the history I have had on this site where I disagree with you. And once again you've had a great post.

The reason why DFW & Houston are so hated is because they are growing, they are economically fit, and they have a bright future. Have you noticed the large majority of the backlash and insults come from Philadelphia & Chicago posters?
Chicago posters even in the most basic threads always state "they can pass it up but they will never be Chicago" and after stating that they continue to say something to belittle the two places. The inferiority complex a lot of sensitive posters on this site have is beyond amazing to say the least.
I haven't noticed where specifically it comes from... all over it seems. But yes, lots from the northeast and midwest, there used to be a lot from the northwest and west coast but maybe that's lessoned now. Houston gets bashed more than the other Texas cities simply because it hasn't gotten the elusive media-love like Austin (and to a lesser degree, Dallas.) So it's easier to bash without having people jump all over you.
As far as handling it, you have to just put the facts out there and not get personal about it (or let it get to you personally). I enjoy your posts.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:59 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
Quote:
This is just a hypothesis, but perhaps outsiders haven't had the true Houston experience. My family mostly live in "Old Houston," which is totally different than the "sprawl," although some used to live in Katy, which is ... ugh. There are parts of Houston that are enthralling. If you lived in a place like Montrose, why would anyone feel the need to even leave the neighborhood? I probably wouldn't.

Big Texas cities have problems with sprawl in general, and yeah, we kinda deserve to get kicked to the carpet on over-extending the city center, especially when oil/gas prices are skyrocketing. Living in the 'burbs is a toss-back to the 50s, and Texas does need to get away from that mindset, or we will one day suffer economically. We need to encourage and revive urban living, e.g., apartments, condos, high-rises, and emphasize those over the 3500-square feet of Berber carpeting and satellite dish lifestyle.

Austin has the same problem, IMHO--once you get outside of the city proper, it turns into mega-burbs that are really no so different than Sugarland, Friendswood, Plano, Addison, etc. The sprawl is easy to hate on because there's just so danged much of it, and it has none of the vibrance of the established tree-covered neighborhoods and cultural offerings that you speak of.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:15 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:

Philadelphia posters in no way logically can grasp that their city has been passed up, they defy logic and try to go beyond US Census. I have proven to them time and time again that Houston & DFW are both 5.6+ million in the same area that Philadelphia has. Then the conversation turns into density which appears to be their trump card.
It happens in every thread, it can be a thread about swimming pools in Houston and the thread literally turns into something like that.
I leave special instructions to posters from Philadelphia because I don't want any of my threads getting derailed with their nonsense.
I have never insulted Philadelphia before to prove a point, the fact that it is a very poverty striken city, very corrupt, it's in a state on the brink of economic collapse, & their crime rate is the highest of any of the top 10 largest metropolitan areas by far, and not to mention they rank below Houston & DFW in nearly every kind of importance list... I have been fair and have never brought any of that up before to use as a "trump card" to win in an argument.

And quite frankly the obsession people have with Texas on this site in general is beyond annoying and kind of creepy, they go out of their way with hours of research just to bring it down. Can you believe that? I tell you some people here are losers. I'm not saying every poster from Chicago & Philadelphia are like that because most certainly aren't but those two cities have posters who apparently hate Houston & Dallas the most. I myself am a Chicago poster as well as a Houston poster.

I have received some very dirty messages from people from Chicago lately, in which they have said some of the most absurd and violent things imaginable about Houston. Not just one poster but quite a few.

There are just so many misconceptions that Texas and its cities and people have to live with. We'll see where our cities go. And in all honesty the future for Texas is bright, Houston & DFW especially. I'm going to say what a friend on these boards told me, LAnative10- I think the best thing to do is just to avoid posts like that from now on. Honestly they feed off of homerism and defense more than anything, if they criticize Houston's theater district leave it, they are ignorant to it. Don't correct them because that would start a larger war on the threads.
Honestly & Dallas posters have good intentions and are only defending the place they call home, but some of them do get carried away with it too.

I try to avoid mentioning Houston or Texas in most of my posts from now on in the General US & City VS City section, it always and I mean always starts something. The less you talk about those places the happier your time on this site will be.

And as for why Houston gets more heat than Dallas, Houston is the leader when it comes to this type of development, it has 579 square miles, the minds of those whom are ignorant- it does not compute to them, it is always easier to pick on 579 square miles of Houston (4th largest city in US) than it is to 350 square mile of Dallas. It is by far much easier to do it.

Often at times I find myself Houston, Los Angeles, & Texas cities (all of them) defending more than anything else including Chicago because people go off sole generalization for these places and know little about them. You will see the most pathetic posters on this site go out of their way to bring a place down, they are losers, have no life, and you should treat them as if they don't exist instead of meddling with them. Because in reality you end up wasting your time confronting trash at its finest, why get your hands dirty touching trash?
Just be glad you got here toward the end of Rachael84's C-D lifespan. I avoided the General US forums for the longest time, and she would still come on the Texas forum and trash us even though she had never been here. She always spewed out how much she hated the suburbs, but she lived in Levittown, THE posterchild/original for cookie cutter sprawlburbs. Sorry, rant ended.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Lol, I remember Rachael and my times with her. I was surprised when I came back on and she wasn't here. Thing is, there will always be someone to do that.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Just be glad you got here toward the end of Rachael84's C-D lifespan. I avoided the General US forums for the longest time, and she would still come on the Texas forum and trash us even though she had never been here. She always spewed out how much she hated the suburbs, but she lived in Levittown, THE posterchild/original for cookie cutter sprawlburbs. Sorry, rant ended.
My first infractions were because of "bickering" due to her outlandish remarks, and among the ones I've ever gotten. Thats fine, I deserved them for calling her out on her absurd statements, she has no right skewing with new members who actually look to this site for relocation help.

By the way, she is not gone, she is also TANaples. She is AIM buddies with one of my AIM friends that I got in touch with via this site. So no, she is not gone lol, she uses her moms account on a daily basis, and sometimes her mom uses it too.
ROFL, I miss proving her wrong though that Texas is not backwards like the way she played it out to be. For someone who has only been to IAH airport for a connect flight she would act like she knew the entire state. LOL LOL LOL. And she was the easiest poster to prove wrong because she would post such trash like and outdated articles. ROFL Hahahahahaa.

Last edited by DANNYY; 08-13-2010 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: done

Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
My first infractions were because of "bickering" due to her outlandish remarks, and among the ones I've ever gotten. Thats fine, I deserved them for calling her out on her absurd statements, she has no right skewing with new members who actually look to this site for relocation help.

By the way, she is not gone, she is also TANaples. She is AIM buddies with one of my AIM friends that I got in touch with via this site. So no, she is not gone lol, she uses her moms account on a daily basis, and sometimes her mom uses it too.
ROFL, I miss proving her wrong though that Texas is not backwards like the way she played it out to be. For someone who has only been to IAH airport for a connect flight she would act like she knew the entire state. LOL LOL LOL. And she was the easiest poster to prove wrong because she would post such trash like and outdated articles. ROFL Hahahahahaa.
What?! LOL

Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
What?! LOL
Yes that is her account too. She shares it with her mother. She is very much still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas