Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
That guy (or girl) is yet another reason why you can't depend on word of mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I remember passing by San Angelo, Texas. If you are from a state like New York, Illinois or California, you would expect for San Angelo, Texas to be a nice big civilized city, but all I saw was just plain empty land with hickorish rednecks residentials living in that community or whatever you call that miserable place. F
LOL. Does he mean San Antonio? Nobody thinks of San Angelo as a big city. Hell, I bet most Texans have ever been to San Angelo. Oh and also, I can now disregard anything this poster says from now on. Also, I can now understand this poster is a child and less than 17 years old?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
LOL. Does he mean San Antonio? Nobody thinks of San Angelo as a big city. Hell, I bet most Texans have ever been to San Angelo. Oh and also, I can now disregard anything this poster says from now on. Also, I can now understand this poster is a child and less than 17 years old?

Agreed.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Oh, I have no doubt that it happened. I have been called a "hillbilly," "hick" and "red-neck" by Californians, despite having an advanced college degree and career commensurate with my education and experience. I have a perfectly flat affect and don't use the regional "ya'll." The reason they called me these names? I live in Texas. Duh! So I must be dumber than dirt!

Creepily enough, the Californians in question hadn't even received a high school diploma. Apparently, just living in California makes one "intelligent" by some sort of bizarre osmosis. Gee, and to think I wasted all that time at university when I could have simply moved to Venice Beach!
There are plenty of rednecks in California, I can attest to that. I currently live in West Texas but I've been to plenty of places in the middle of California that makes my current place look like a cultural mecca.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:25 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
There are plenty of rednecks in California, I can attest to that.
Yup, me too.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 PM

85 posts, read 92,314 times
The only people I EVER hear complain about Texas and wish they were back home are folks from CA and NY. I have been told to my face at a salon that it was "hillbilly-ish" of me to have Texas Pride and love George Strait and like anything to do with country culture. (I was talking with my stylist about GS, TX, etc)....Excuse me??? That is a huge part of TX culture and if you don't like, don't let the door hit you on the way out! I was also told by a NYer that my hometown was a "redneck hellhole" because there weren't any vegan restaurants. This is the attitude that people can't stand. I have been told by SEVERAL people from CA that they would move back in a heartbeat if they could....well then go!!!

Old 01-24-2018, 09:38 PM

430 posts, read 290,673 times
As a native Floridian who lived in the NJ/NY

TX > *

Old 01-25-2018, 09:13 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
I was with a girl from california last night. They seem to love Texans it least in my eyes.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb9494 View Post
The only people I EVER hear complain about Texas and wish they were back home are folks from CA and NY. I have been told to my face at a salon that it was "hillbilly-ish" of me to have Texas Pride and love George Strait and like anything to do with country culture. (I was talking with my stylist about GS, TX, etc)....Excuse me??? That is a huge part of TX culture and if you don't like, don't let the door hit you on the way out! I was also told by a NYer that my hometown was a "redneck hellhole" because there weren't any vegan restaurants. This is the attitude that people can't stand. I have been told by SEVERAL people from CA that they would move back in a heartbeat if they could....well then go!!!
Well then you haven't met enough transplants from Michigan. They complain and complain (really, you didn't realize it was going to be hot in the summer?) but they never leave.

New Yorkers (from NYC I mean), really aren't going to be happy anywhere but maybe Tokyo Paris or London. "I just can't believe what a hick joint this place is; I can't get even Bhutanese take-out at 3:00 in the morning!"

Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Being from LA and moving to Texas, I do see this as a two sided issue. Im sharing my experiences in Dallas, Plano, and Houston.

On one hand, 99% of Texans I have met are wonderful. Very welcoming, a nice come as you are crowd. I have been able to make friends from a diverse crowd of conservative, liberal, gay, straight, white, minority, etc. people.

On one hand, no place is perfect. LA wasnt and Texas isnt. If you mention one thing you miss thing, some people get defensive. Then you have the people who are afraid of change. They have the idea that a large influx of residents is making Texas change too much and they dont like it. That leads to unreasonable demands like demanding that you conform to every aspect of the culture. This group thinks you should go to church, own guns, vote Republican, etc. I will NEVER do any of those things. This same crowd thinks my refusal to do those things means I hate Texas. On the contrary, I LOVE it here.

The 2nd paragraph is not the rule, its the exception but those people are out there and it can make an out of stater feel unwelcome. The bottom line is that Texas is a very diverse place. The stereotype is all but dead in the big cities. People get along pretty well here too. One of my best friends is a die hard Trumpster. I despise Trump. Yet, we can still talk about politics, hug each other, share dinner and drinks, and do all kinds of fun things. Despite how people would characterize us, thats Texas in a nutshell. Were friends and neighbors first, Texans (native or adoptive) second, and politics and other differences are a very distant third.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas