Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:38 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I don't hate on Texas....I think people hate on a lot of states, and it's not just Californian's....
This is true. I see a lot of Californians on this forum that do not hate on Texas. Although in person recently, I met a San Fran person that epitomized all things "Hate Texas." To be honest though, that is NOT the norm.

Last edited by buzzpost; 07-16-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Do you seriously believe this is a one way street?

All you have to do is look at the Texas forum and you can see how stupid it is to think that you guys dont give as good as you get.

Well, the above poster is a native of California that I always appreciate. You shoot straight LAnative, and I always appreciate that.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
but the July-August heat and the bugs DO suck
P.S. I love Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate it when the heat gets as hot as it has lately too!!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMan2010 View Post
Not in one damm moment of my life Ive herd a Texan hate on a Californian and its so obvious that you would think its a hypocrisy because your from California.... Why didnt I put this on a California Forum? You might ask, because I dont want a fight the people from California because I knowthey would get really angry and complaint. Its not a fight i just want to here the Texas story of the conflict because I always here from the Californian side of the story and its always something negative they have to say about Texas
First off, you're in error and second I would suggest a spell check occasionally; you're not helping your case.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
GeoMan2010 ... You really are wrong. I've lived in Texas for 32 years and when I first moved here from southern California, my family was known as the "damn Yankees." I found that hilarious since CA has nothing to do with Yankees, but whatever to the idiots who said it.

I have also been told recently not to let Texans know I'm from California because they won't like it. Wow, like I care. Thirty-two years later and I'm still getting advice. Pathetic!

P.S. I so agree with buzzpost. Not to be critical, but I was embarrassed for you (like you care) when I read your post. May we call it constructive criticism? Also, the preposition "on" doesn't belong in your thread. "Californians hating Texans" is sufficient.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
Californians created a liberal utopia then discovered it was too expensive and violent for them, so they moved to Texas and elsewhere and immediately started complaining and trying to change their new homes into liberal utopias.

They're doing the same thing here in Missouri. I wish them ill.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
This really annoying sniping happens on both sides. I hear the BS Texas stereotypes when I'm out visiting friends and family back in California, and I hear the BS California stereotypes here.

And by the way, I am very happy here and every day am glad of my decision to go Texan, but the July-August heat and the bugs DO suck, and I do miss simple daily life things like deliciously ubiquitous taco stands and better Chinese food. Mentioning those things occasionally is not an indictment on this state or anyone's way of life. A lot of people need to chill out and stop telling people they need to move out simply because don't like something or miss something from their home state.

P.S. I love Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Richardson may not have them, but you can't throw a rock without hitting a taco stand (or a BBQ joint) in Central Texas, it seems.

Heck, I live way out in the boonies (our nearest neighbor, right across the road, is 3/8 of a mile away counting both driveways) and there's three really good taco stands within five minutes of my house.

There used to be an absolutely great one in downtown Austin years and years ago, the guy who ran it started out with a taco wagon, then built a little stand on a piece of land he owned right on a corner, and there would be a line down the block at lunchtime every day. You could gain 300 pounds just smelling that delicious food while waiting in line! Then, one day, he got an offer he couldn't refuse for the land, took it, bought three of his kids their own Mexican restaurants with a portion of the proceeds (don't know what he did with the rest). The little plot of land was on 1st (now Cesar Chavez) and Congress in downtown Austin, right across the street from the river.

Dang, I STILL miss that taco stand, and it's been probably 30 years now! But there's no shortage of really good ones in Austin, nonetheless.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Childhood cancer is caused by many factors, not just environmental. A lot of it is genetic.

Last time I checked the air quality in California cities was far worse than Texas cities, including Houston which has cleaned up its air a lot. There's a new tower being topped out in downtown right now that's powered by 5 wind driven turbines on the roof. The George R. Brown Convention Center in downtown is also going high tech with several thousand square feet of solar panels on its sprawling roof line.

Texas' potential for green energy is a Godsend & has only just begun to be tapped.
True, the Los Angeles/Riverside/Long Beach area rank the worst in smog, but Houston is 5th and DFW is 7th. Of course, there is other pollution besides ozone.

Regarding the cleanest cities in the U.S. which measures all three criteria, California "boasts" three and Texas only one, Midland/Odessa.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:27 PM

423 posts, read 823,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Chill out bro. I was just saying that Texans hate on California every bit as much as Californians hate on Texas. This thread is pure hypocrisy.
I wouldn't say that Californians hate Texas. More like they nothing it.

Search on California forum with keyword "Texas" returns 52 results, with topics mostly asking about relocation advice, or who's leg do you have to hump to get some good ol' Texas style BBQ, and occasionally a few threads titled "Texas sucks" that are written by Texans who moved to Cali.

Search on Texas forum with keyword "California" returns 121(!!) results and with topics titled how much Texas is better than California posted mostly by a bunch of Texans (who had never been to California) and one French (who had never been to either of states)

I've been to California and many other so called Texas-hatin' states many times and the only reaction I got to "I'm from Texas" phrase was pure indifference. Only twice I've experienced some condescending attitudes, first time in Seattle, second time in Philly, none of them surprised me knowing that former is populated by the smug hippie programmers, and the latter by Eagles and Flyers fans.

Texans always claim that they want Texas remain the way it is, subconsciously though they all want it to be the New California. That could probably explain why are they constantly trying to make comparisons between the two

Last edited by Heimdall; 07-17-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 04:26 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
I think California hates on the northeast (New York, Boston) the most, not Texas. I'm sure some hate on Texas but not a significant number of people. Many Californians end up in Texas anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas