U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,717 posts, read 4,415,571 times
Reputation: 55496

Advertisements

I'm a native Texan and I love this state. Like many of you have said, there is a difference between pride and arrogance. There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you are from. For example, I have a good friend that grew up in Tennesee. He constantly talks about the pride he feels about his home state and his hometown and I certainly don't have any problem with that. I know many other people from other states, including several from the east coast, that talk about where they grew up and how they love it back home as well, and none of that bothers me either. So why should anyone else be offended by the pride that Texans feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Status: "Semi-retired. On and off line interchangeably" (set 5 days ago)
 
9,820 posts, read 11,174,193 times
Reputation: 5028
Just to add to the great posts and points made above...


Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
No, you guys really arent. Your post wasnt even above that. I get snide remarks all the time (in every city I have been to) when I mention it.
In what tone and manner do you "mention it (whatever "it" may be). Reckon that might be the key to the whole thing...?

Quote:
A lot of Texans hide behind arrogance as a way of masking the fact that they wish they had characteristics of other states (Beauty of the west coast or the Urbanity of the North East and Chicago).
Yeah, that has to be it. We are jealous of other states.

I don't doubt there are arrogant Texans, and as I said, I thought that second video was over the top. But believe it or not, most native Texans don't spend much time thinking about other states at all. Hell, it is obvious I very much consider Texas essentially a Southern state, and am damn proud of that. But even then, I don't spend any time envying the fact that Atlanta is often considered the "Capital of the South" (as opposed to Houston or Dallas) or that Texas as a whole lacks much of those "Old South" characteristics. Much less do I give other states/regions a thought.

Quote:
You echo this in your post. The whole "we dont give a damn about what you think where you come from" attitude pisses me off. Its arrogance plain and simple.
With all due respect, maybe you have too broad a definition of arrogance, perhaps? As it is, that is exactly how many of us feel. I don't deny nor need to justify it in the least. And the reason behind it is traceable to that all too many northern and west coast transplants provoke it with the attitude that we need to change to suit them. NOT!

Quote:
I dont expect to change Texas, I dont want to. But it wont change me either. Im a Californian. I grew up in that culture. It gave me outlooks on life that I might not have had elsewhere. That isnt going to change no matter where I live.
That is good that you say you don't (want to change Texas) and admirable that you remain a Califorian. After all, no matter where I lay my head, I am still a Texan and will be until the day I die.

Unfortunately though, all to many who migrate to Texas from areas not sharing the same general history and culture and outlook of this part of the country, do not feel that way. And they invite the negative reception they get thru their own mannerisms and attitudes. I have seen it at work many times. Those from the North and west coast who come here and whine and moan and lecture on how backward we are. Then, when they aren't exactly welcomed with open arms, they complain that the vaunted Texas/Southern hospitality is nothing but fake. Never comprehending that the fault lies with them for not being receptive to it.

With that said though, like Cathy mentioned, not all are like that, for sure. Some of the fiercest partisans of Texas/South are transplants who came here with the determination to assimilate and blend in. It didn't mean they needed to abandon or reject their outside roots, not at all. Only that they absorbed the concrete fact they were in someone elses home now, and adapted cheerfully to a new way of life and mores. These type folks are welcome and found out early on they were!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-19-2010 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,227 posts, read 10,834,689 times
Reputation: 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I get snide remarks all the time (in every city I have been to) when I mention it.

Might be your own attitude and what you project. I personally have no problems with transplants unless they come here and start complaining how it's not like "home."

I got a bellyfull of that in Midland during the boom years (late 1970s to early 1980s. Californians, Midwesterners, East Coasters....whine, whine, whine. All I had to say to that was to leave if they didn't like it.

The ones who came and made the best of it, without whining and putting Texas down had no problems with the natives in most cases.

A lot of Texans hide behind arrogance as a way of masking the fact that they wish they had characteristics of other states (Beauty of the west coast or the Urbanity of the North East and Chicago.

I suppose some do--but Texas is one of the few states that has something to offer everybody--from mountains to desert to the hill country to East Texas piney woods to the long coastline.

Ditto California. It has a lot to offer, but people are leaving the state in droves because of the politics, tolerance for illegal aliens, high taxes, high real estate etc. There are times when scenery/climate cannot make up for all of the negatives. California is so broke that they can't even make their state payroll.

If you don't like Texas, I don't understand why you are here.

Texas' biggest negative is that most of it is so damn hot....but it's my home state, and I'll love it until the day I die.
You responded exactly the way I knew you would. How very stereotypical of you.

"If you dont love where Im from, something is wrong with you.". A bit arrogant, dont you think? Funny thing is, I love living here. Dallas is a very nice home for me and my wife. We have a good life and would not change that.

I have made the best of it because I came here expecting Texas to be Texas and not someplace else.

When it comes up in conversation that I am from somewhere else, I am asked where. When I say LA, some people will say things like "Im sorry" or "I hate LA". I certainly dont get this all the time, but it does happen. Moreso in the smaller cities.

Im happy to be here, but would not you be pissed if the some of the people in your new home try to remind you of why the state you are from is sub-par?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 7,943,847 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The beauty of our states and the beauty of the people who live there. Yet there are those who will equate taking pride in oneself as arrogance. ~ I shake my head ~
According to the dictionary, pride is synonymous with arrogance along with many other "unattractive" words. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Therefore, being prideful is not a good thing. I'm sure no one cares what the dictionary says about words as many seem to make up their own definitions. I used to think pride was a good thing until, as I posted earlier, a native Texan set this west-coast transplant straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,813 posts, read 12,101,016 times
Reputation: 4274
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You responded exactly the way I knew you would. How very stereotypical of you.

"If you dont love where Im from, something is wrong with you.". A bit arrogant, dont you think? Funny thing is, I love living here. Dallas is a very nice home for me and my wife. We have a good life and would not change that.

I have made the best of it because I came here expecting Texas to be Texas and not someplace else.

When it comes up in conversation that I am from somewhere else, I am asked where. When I say LA, some people will say things like "Im sorry" or "I hate LA". I certainly dont get this all the time, but it does happen. Moreso in the smaller cities.

Im happy to be here, but would not you be pissed if the some of the people in your new home try to remind you of why the state you are from is sub-par?
"If you dont love where Im from, something is wrong with you.". A bit arrogant, dont you think? Funny thing is, I love living here. Dallas is a very nice home for me and my wife. We have a good life and would not change that.

Huh? Where did that come from? That's not what I said at all. Your statement doesn't even make any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 02:42 PM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,227 posts, read 10,834,689 times
Reputation: 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
"If you dont love where Im from, something is wrong with you.". A bit arrogant, dont you think? Funny thing is, I love living here. Dallas is a very nice home for me and my wife. We have a good life and would not change that.

Huh? Where did that come from? That's not what I said at all. Your statement doesn't even make any sense.
Thats what you said. You mentioned that if I found Texas that way, it might be because of the way I come across. That attitude seems very typical among a lot of Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Central Austin
2,412 posts, read 3,876,159 times
Reputation: 1959
Wow, this thread went down faster than I thought it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats what you said. You mentioned that if I found Texas that way, it might be because of the way I come across. That attitude seems very typical among a lot of Texans.
Normally your posts are very balanced and I enjoy reading them. In fact, I get where you're coming from most times, but you're being rather condescending right now, which I could say is rather typical among a lot of Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,813 posts, read 12,101,016 times
Reputation: 4274
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats what you said. You mentioned that if I found Texas that way, it might be because of the way I come across. That attitude seems very typical among a lot of Texans.
I said that if you're getting snide remarks, it might be because of YOUR attitude.

So you don't think that is a possibility at all?

You might be surprised. The arrogance of many of the transplants in Midland was just appalling, and I got sick of hearing how much better it was back home and how horrible Texas was.

But I would never be deliberately rude to someone--and that includes you and anyone else. I have nothing against California or any other state--until they come here and start badmouthing us.

There were many transplants with whom I was good friends. They came for a job and made the best of the situation. Those were normally welcomed with open arms and any help they asked for.

It all comes down to attitude.

And.....Texas isn't perfect. No state is, and no state has a monopoly on arrogance and rudeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,227 posts, read 10,834,689 times
Reputation: 6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I said that if you're getting snide remarks, it might be because of YOUR attitude.

So you don't think that is a possibility at all?
I know that is what you said.

Considering I have not once badmouthed Texas to any of the people I have met, it was not deserved. That I can say for sure. I always say how much I like it here.

So honestly, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,717 posts, read 4,415,571 times
Reputation: 55496
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I know that is what you said.

Considering I have not once badmouthed Texas to any of the people I have met, it was not deserved. That I can say for sure. I always say how much I like it here.

So honestly, no.
There's a lot of tension between Texans and Californians, no doubt about it...lol. When I visited L.A. several years ago people would ask me where I was from. When I said I was from Texas I got a lot of rude comments, even when I said complementary things about California. If I lived on the west coast I would get that kind of stuff every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top