Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,964,707 times

Advertisements

I get along with everyone. And I avoid Internet radio for all of these comments.

We Texans are actually pretty nice, mellow and slow. Hateful music is just not cool in world. Your grand dad's opinion lacks any substance.

Old South Austin Guy out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,104,815 times
Good on you, "Old South Austin Guy". Would that more of us Texans saw it that way.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,534,378 times
I take a backseat to no man, woman, child, or Texas horned toad, in my Texas pride. And I firmly adhere to the general outlook that "we don't give a damn how you did it up North" and rather than come out here to Texas and try and convert us into to a New California...why the hell don't you stay out there and work the transformation there? Y'all stay in your own house and re-decorate, and leave us alone to keep ours the way we like it.

It has been my experience that those from the big city North and west coast (especially California) who move in droves out here invite their own trouble by route of their own attitudes. And seem oblivious to the fact.

They love our milk and honey, but many seem to want to convert it back into the same land they ruined and fled to begin with. Infect us in Texas/South with a virus they run away from, but have no qualms about spreading the same.

I will never understand it...must be a yankee thing, I guess...*sigh*

With all that said though, as concerns the videos/songs? I liked the first one. However, the second one was quite a bit over the top in lots of ways. It doesn't reflect at all real well on our state and reputation for Southern manners and gentility with a special Western flair. It was too "in your face".

I mean, if an elitist northerner or west Coaster decides to get arrogant, there is pure justification for us to let them know we are TEXAS, by gawd.

But to provoke it with language like "*********" or, even worse, girls with t-shirts reading "F-You" I'm from Texas", and flipping the bird? How many of us real Texans, raised the in the old fashioned way, would approve of our kids wearing T-shirts like that?

In fact, to be honest, that minority who think such is "cool" just taints our whole great state. Kinda makes us seem not much different than the obnoxious, arrogant, yankees, we object to with their attitudes.

I know we Texans are much above that.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 PM

15,657 posts, read 7,504,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I'm a Missourian married to a strong Texas woman. We live in the Missouri Ozarks and listen to Fort Worth's KFWR via streaming audio. KFWR played these songs today. I wish Missourians had this attitude of state pride.

<snipped videos>

I admire the attitude of true Texans, who diminish in number each year. I fret about the future of your state, given the demographic changes.

Ozarksboy
Located in south central Missouri, not far from where Moses Austin, the first man to obtain permission to bring Anglo-American settlers into Spanish Texas, operated lead mines and is buried.
I sniped the videos from your post. Unfortunately I can't watch 'em. Well I could, but it would just take seemingly forever on dial up Internet.

From the title alone on the second video, I doubt that would be a good song.

The "Don't Mess with Texas" slogan was implemented as a motivation for cleaning up Texas road ways and to get Texas motorists to stop throwing their trash out of the cars as they travel.

That along with Texas Pride, we people would like to look our best for company. If that's wrong then hey, we need a come as you are party... for those who do not want to fall face down on pride.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,135,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I take a backseat to no man, woman, child, or Texas horned toad, in my Texas pride. And I firmly adhere to the general outlook that "we don't give a damn how you did it up North" and rather than come out here to Texas and try and convert us into to a New California...why the hell don't you stay out there and work the transformation there? Y'all stay in your own house and re-decorate, and leave us alone to keep ours the way we like it.

It has been my experience that those from the big city North and west coast (especially California) who move in droves out here invite their own trouble by route of their own attitudes. And seem oblivious to the fact.

They love our milk and honey, but many seem to want to convert it back into the same land they ruined and fled to begin with. Infect us in Texas/South with a virus they run away from, but have no qualms about spreading the same.

With all that said though, as concerns the videos/songs? I liked the first one. However, the second one was quite a bit over the top in lots of ways. It doesn't reflect at all real well on our state and reputation for Southern manners and gentility with a special Western flair. It was too "in your face".

I mean, if an elitist northerner or west Coaster decides to get arrogant, there is pure justification for us to let them know we are TEXAS, by gawd.

But to provoke it with language like "*********" or, even worse, girls with t-shirts reading "F-You" I'm from Texas", and flipping the bird? How many of us real Texans, raised the in the old fashioned way, would approve of our kids wearing T-shirts like that?

In fact, to be honest, that minority who think such is "cool" just taints our whole great state. Kinda makes us seem not much different than the obnoxious, arrogant, yankees, we object to with their attitudes.

HaHaHa. I think I love you......

Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,740,953 times
Quote:

Lol. Good post.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,630,393 times
Quote:

No, you guys really arent. Your post wasnt even above that. I get snide remarks all the time (in every city I have been to) when I mention it.

A lot of Texans hide behind arrogance as a way of masking the fact that they wish they had characteristics of other states (Beauty of the west coast or the Urbanity of the North East and Chicago).

You echo this in your post. The whole "we dont give a damn about what you think where you come from" attitude pisses me off. Its arrogance plain and simple.

I dont expect to change Texas, I dont want to. But it wont change me either. Im a Californian. I grew up in that culture. It gave me outlooks on life that I might not have had elsewhere. That isnt going to change no matter where I live.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:03 PM

15,657 posts, read 7,504,162 times
The beauty of our states and the beauty of the people who live there. Yet there are those who will equate taking pride in oneself as arrogance. ~ I shake my head ~

Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,805,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
No, you guys really arent. Your post wasnt even above that. I get snide remarks all the time (in every city I have been to) when I mention it.

A lot of Texans hide behind arrogance as a way of masking the fact that they wish they had characteristics of other states (Beauty of the west coast or the Urbanity of the North East and Chicago).

You echo this in your post. The whole "we dont give a damn about what you think where you come from" attitude pisses me off. Its arrogance plain and simple.

I dont expect to change Texas, I dont want to. But it wont change me either. Im a Californian. I grew up in that culture. It gave me outlooks on life that I might not have had elsewhere. That isnt going to change no matter where I live.
I get snide remarks all the time (in every city I have been to) when I mention it.

Might be your own attitude and what you project. I personally have no problems with transplants unless they come here and start complaining how it's not like "home."

I got a bellyfull of that in Midland during the boom years (late 1970s to early 1980s. Californians, Midwesterners, East Coasters....whine, whine, whine. All I had to say to that was to leave if they didn't like it.

The ones who came and made the best of it, without whining and putting Texas down had no problems with the natives in most cases.

A lot of Texans hide behind arrogance as a way of masking the fact that they wish they had characteristics of other states (Beauty of the west coast or the Urbanity of the North East and Chicago.

I suppose some do--but Texas is one of the few states that has something to offer everybody--from mountains to desert to the hill country to East Texas piney woods to the long coastline.

Ditto California. It has a lot to offer, but people are leaving the state in droves because of the politics, tolerance for illegal aliens, high taxes, high real estate etc. There are times when scenery/climate cannot make up for all of the negatives. California is so broke that they can't even make their state payroll.

If you don't like Texas, I don't understand why you are here.

Texas' biggest negative is that most of it is so damn hot....but it's my home state, and I'll love it until the day I die.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:21 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,956,604 times
How is being proud of your state arrogant?...Call me what you want, but Im not about to kowtow to anyone, I dont care where they're from. If their place was so much better with such beauty, they should be more than happy to get the hell out of Texas and go back to their "beautiful" state. Wouldnt bother me any. Whats that you say? - "Generally, their beautiful state has no substance beyond its aesthetics, and is likely to be an overtaxed borderline 3rd world basketcase on the brink of bankruptcy ?..."? Oh I see

I mean, isnt it arrogant to go to another state and talk about how much worse it is than where you came from? What kind of sense does that make? I notice whenever anyone says Texas is arrogant, they are nearly always projecting upon Texans the sense of superiority that they feel their own state has. It doesnt make sense to live somewhere while sulking and tucking your tail and hanging your head in shame about it. If you dislike it leave it or change it. And I think most Texans figure if it aint broke why change it? Texas is a perfect state in my opinion. A little bit of everything, just a whole lot more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas