U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 PM
 
1,847 posts, read 2,477,019 times
Reputation: 2072
As I was reading these posts the same thought came through my mind as 88txaggie mentioned....vary your times somewhat. I realize you don't want to finish work at midnight, but delaying your route 10 or 15 minutes isn't going to make that much difference and besides getting off work at a later time might look a lot better to your eyes than the inside of a coffin.

I've always been one of those people who said I'm not going to back off because of some nut case, but now I have more people in my life to worry about than just myself.It's a whole different ballgame out there these days. There are some crazy nut jobs running the roads nowadays who would think nothing of pulling out a .45 and shooting you in the head for just the least infraction on your part. And yeah buddy, I am afraid of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 PM
 
3,805 posts, read 1,872,864 times
Reputation: 1180
I get crap like this all the time here in SE Texas .. morons mostly, who become totally enraged the minute I slow down to 80 after having them flash their lights and honk their horns at me for not doing 90-95mph down the interstate ..

I usually slow to 70 if the guy behind me doesn't knock it off. Or, even better, I'll pace the guy in the right lane doing 60.

Screw 'em ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 AM
 
Location: A Winding Road
3,766 posts, read 1,689,747 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
As I was reading these posts the same thought came through my mind as 88txaggie mentioned....vary your times somewhat. I realize you don't want to finish work at midnight, but delaying your route 10 or 15 minutes isn't going to make that much difference and besides getting off work at a later time might look a lot better to your eyes than the inside of a coffin.

I've always been one of those people who said I'm not going to back off because of some nut case, but now I have more people in my life to worry about than just myself.It's a whole different ballgame out there these days. There are some crazy nut jobs running the roads nowadays who would think nothing of pulling out a .45 and shooting you in the head for just the least infraction on your part. And yeah buddy, I am afraid of them!
You're right. You and 88txaggie. Varying my time may just be the solution. However, instead of the 10 to 15 minutes later, earlier instead. I was looking at my time sheet and I could began time 15 to 20 minutes earlier, set my cell phone alarm and quite possibly by pass this situation.

By-George I think you've got it and that's what I'll do. Like you said, he could very well have issues.

I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 12:42 AM
 
Location: A Winding Road
3,766 posts, read 1,689,747 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I get crap like this all the time here in SE Texas .. morons mostly, who become totally enraged the minute I slow down to 80 after having them flash their lights and honk their horns at me for not doing 90-95mph down the interstate ..

I usually slow to 70 if the guy behind me doesn't knock it off. Or, even better, I'll pace the guy in the right lane doing 60.

Screw 'em ..
Several years ago I had to take a drivers course to get out of paying ticket fines for speeding. I thought the course was good. I learned allot. I learned some of my driving habits that I had been doing over the years, were not very good habits to be doing. Since then I have changed, improved my critical thinking skills while behind the wheel.

Any way, what you are doing when someone behind you is trying to get you to speed up was their suggestion. If we slow down, they will eventually get tired of following and go around. If we speed up, guess who gets the ticket.

I haven't had a ticket since they increased the speed limit. I'm thankful they finally did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 AM
 
Location: 77059
7,697 posts, read 17,678,111 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I get crap like this all the time here in SE Texas .. morons mostly, who become totally enraged the minute I slow down to 80 after having them flash their lights and honk their horns at me for not doing 90-95mph down the interstate ..

I usually slow to 70 if the guy behind me doesn't knock it off. Or, even better, I'll pace the guy in the right lane doing 60.

Screw 'em ..
Does this happen during rush hours by chance? Does it have anything to do with the Houston - Golden Triangle commuters? I know this ruthless drive all too well-- it's a good place to test where your speed governor is set. If you're going slower than 80 you're asking to get run off the road, become paralyzed or maimed, or even become one with your crumpled vehicle.

Otherwise within the Golden Triangle, plenty of Bubbas driving 90 after a long day @ work simply to get to the bar or convenience store for a couple of hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: A Winding Road
3,766 posts, read 1,689,747 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Does this happen during rush hours by chance? Does it have anything to do with the Houston - Golden Triangle commuters? I know this ruthless drive all too well-- it's a good place to test where your speed governor is set. If you're going slower than 80 you're asking to get run off the road, become paralyzed or maimed, or even become one with your crumpled vehicle.

Otherwise within the Golden Triangle, plenty of Bubbas driving 90 after a long day @ work simply to get to the bar or convenience store for a couple of hits.
Sounds like fun.

No this isn't a Houston Indy 500 marathon. This is small town Longview, 'Little Houston' as my father always called it. It happened both times on a Sunday, and no one gets in a hurry on Sunday.

No, this yahoo wishes to make a point with his horn at an intersection where there is a yield to traffic sign at a right merge.

If the light is green, I stop at the yield to give all the cars to the left of me, the right of way. Which is the right thing to do. But he thinks I should just dart right on out there. So he honks at me, because I am stopped waiting for traffic to clear. I guess he thinks it is clear enough and he doesn't like it that I am stopped. (I always stop and check out the light situation before I proceed.)

However, there have been cars coming through that light, both times and I won't go. It has been pointed out that if the right lane is clear and even though there is a car coming through the 'green light' intersection in the left lane, I should merge on out. However, I will not do that, because there are those who do last minute lane changes (against the law but they do it anyway) and will clip some one if their not careful.

I was looking for suggestions to the problem because it seems to be the same person, both times it has happened to me.

Some have told me to vary my drive time. However, today I was thinking on it (that's what this thread is all about for me, to help me think & get input) I could instead of using the merge, I could go on up to the red light and wait for it to change then make my right turn.

Better safe than sorry, I always say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Kendall County, TX
245 posts, read 306,485 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Maybe you found a new potential boyfriend?

And I suggest maybe spending a few months driving in DFW or Houston as a training session.
Agreed. Well, not the boyfriend part. Drive in Houston for a few months of training. You learn to GO.

I think I have an idea of what kind of intersection you are referring to. You have a yield sign and a lane to turn into (a lane that quickly ends with you needing to merge into the lane to your left). If that's the case, do it. Merging is merging...and sometimes you have to even if it feels uncomfortable. That is what helps keep traffic flowing the way it should. I hope you're not the type that stops on highway on-ramps, too. In that case, even if there is not currently a place to merge into, that's (legally) what the shoulder is for.

Please...please, for the sake of yourself and drivers around you, check out this page on Texas traffic laws and good driving habits. It cites traffic laws, but tells you about them in plain english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM
 
Location: League City
2,202 posts, read 2,937,271 times
Reputation: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Agreed. Well, not the boyfriend part. Drive in Houston for a few months of training. You learn to GO.

I think I have an idea of what kind of intersection you are referring to. You have a yield sign and a lane to turn into (a lane that quickly ends with you needing to merge into the lane to your left). If that's the case, do it. Merging is merging...and sometimes you have to even if it feels uncomfortable. That is what helps keep traffic flowing the way it should. I hope you're not the type that stops on highway on-ramps, too. In that case, even if there is not currently a place to merge into, that's (legally) what the shoulder is for.

Please...please, for the sake of yourself and drivers around you, check out this page on Texas traffic laws and good driving habits. It cites traffic laws, but tells you about them in plain english.
Houston driving - not fun. I am in a suburb and have no need to hop on the freeway, and I am still battered with pushy people. I've learned that if you drive faster (not recommended, just for illustration purposes ) and a bit aggressive then this surprises the pushy drivers, and many back off. By the way I am really a very cautious driver.

If you are from Boerne, isn't there a spot on the 1604 going West to I-10 South/East cloverleaf where you loop in a circle from 1604 onto I-10 and BAM you are on I-10. No acceleration lane. Nothing. You can't see I-10 til you are on it. All you see is concrete as you circle from 1604 and suddenly you are on the interstate. You kinda have to stop if I-10 is backed up with traffic. That's terrible road design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Kendall County, TX
245 posts, read 306,485 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
If you are from Boerne, isn't there a spot on the 1604 going West to I-10 South/East cloverleaf where you loop in a circle from 1604 onto I-10 and BAM you are on I-10. No acceleration lane. Nothing. You can't see I-10 til you are on it. All you see is concrete as you circle from 1604 and suddenly you are on the interstate. You kinda have to stop if I-10 is backed up with traffic. That's terrible road design.
1604 South/West to Interstate 10 South/East is a cloverleaf, but you are placed downstream from the Interstate 10 East off-ramp and the Interstate 10 off-ramp traffic must yield to folks coming off the cloverleaf. You remain on an access road until you are past the cloverleaf and then your lane PLUS 1604 North/East exit lane to I-10 both enter Interstate 10 East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM
 
Location: A Winding Road
3,766 posts, read 1,689,747 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Agreed. Well, not the boyfriend part. Drive in Houston for a few months of training. You learn to GO.

I think I have an idea of what kind of intersection you are referring to. You have a yield sign and a lane to turn into (a lane that quickly ends with you needing to merge into the lane to your left). If that's the case, do it. Merging is merging...and sometimes you have to even if it feels uncomfortable. That is what helps keep traffic flowing the way it should. I hope you're not the type that stops on highway on-ramps, too. In that case, even if there is not currently a place to merge into, that's (legally) what the shoulder is for.

Please...please, for the sake of yourself and drivers around you, check out this page on Texas traffic laws and good driving habits. It cites traffic laws, but tells you about them in plain english.
I've had 14 years driving experience in Dallas TX I don't need any more thank you. And to add to that not one accident, in the years I lived there and drove, 635, I75, 175, 80. 35, 35W 45. Most people can not go the few months you suggested without having some one slam into them.

Get off the interstate this is not interstate driving 101.

This is a red light, green light intersection where people with the green light have the right of way and those turning right must stop & yield right of way.

For the sake of those around me, I take offense. I have a cell phone and I do know how to call the police. He is harassing me and is back seat driving me to try and make me jump into an accident. I won't go. I wait for cars to clear before I proceed. He either doesn't see this, or he doesn't care.

This is what I speculate. One of these days, I'm going to come up to that intersection and find the jeep in an accident, where he failed to yield and a car coming through the intersection will have clipped him good.

A person using their horn to not evade an accident is yelling wolf where there isn't one.

The on ramp to interstate driving that is not what the shoulder is far. I'm sorry, I don't think so...to many behind you on the shoulder doing the same thing, what do you got.

No, a person merging into on coming interstate is to judge the speed of the oncoming traffic and is to merge (like a weave) into them, between 'em at the adjusted speed they have set. I never did like the people that used that shoulder like you are talking about, because I never could tell just what they were going to do.

In 1987 I was in Atlanta GA my husband at the time military. At the time my license was to expire. No one told me that I need not worry about it, being military was an automatic exempt. So I took the driving test to get a GA license. Never having driven interstate I failed the yield to interstate question thus never forgetting the Corrected answer it gave me, which is the one I just cited. Adjust speed and merge.

However, this is not the situation I am in and I will not be driven by a back seat driver. (bumper sticker idea) Mr. Honker get a life, I value mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top