Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I haven't see any crickets in North Texas.
Heh...boy, I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Relax. Why kill them?!! This is their habitat too. Humans have encroached on their turf in ever increasing numbers. They are not attractive to look at, but so what? What harm are they doing to you exactly other than making noise?
When they are making that noise late at night INSIDE when I'm trying to sleep, it's another matter altogether. It is REALLY loud then!

I don't want them--or any other bugs--IN my house. Outside where they belong, they're fine.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:25 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
When they are making that noise late at night INSIDE when I'm trying to sleep, it's another matter altogether. It is REALLY loud then!

I don't want them--or any other bugs--IN my house. Outside where they belong, they're fine.
Fine, but as another poster also said, it's no reason to KILL them. You might want to try sleeping with a fan on. when I lived in west hollywood, I frequently heard screeching brakes at all hours of the night. My solution was to buy a fan, which drowned out the noises that might keep me awake at night.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFischer View Post
These damn crickets are relentless! I damn near had a heart attack after seeing one hop across my kitchen floor and threw the iron on top of it.

Its like, everywhere outside they are coming in swarms. Im afraid to go outside anymore because of them. And if Im mistaken, there seems to be one coming from behind the A/C filter. This is just crazy.

Why dont they send pesticide planes to dump chemicals to nuke these pesky things?
The 8th plague was the Californians. These are the 9th.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:28 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
You must eat the crickets

Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Fine, but as another poster also said, it's no reason to KILL them. You might want to try sleeping with a fan on. when I lived in west hollywood, I frequently heard screeching brakes at all hours of the night. My solution was to buy a fan, which drowned out the noises that might keep me awake at night.
I DO sleep with a fan on....a ceiling fan.

But there is nothing in the world that can drown out a very loud cricket in the house at night...and I finally found it and killed it.

It's only happened a couple of times. Had it been outside to begin with, it wouldn't have bothered me at all, any more than cicadas do.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:33 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
I kill everything that moves in my house......sorry, I hate creepy crawly things. As someone who is hearing impaired, if I can hear a cricket...it is time for it to die.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:08 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
This morning when I got up (very early), there was a cricket outside my front door making noise, but other than that I have yet to see this infestation that everyone is speaking of.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:57 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
This morning when I got up (very early), there was a cricket outside my front door making noise, but other than that I have yet to see this infestation that everyone is speaking of.
Perhaps they're thinking what is happening now is an infestation. As I said before, "Just wait until Autumn." Ugh!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
San Antonio was swarmed a week or so ago. Still see them around but not as much.

I guess they've moved north.
That or have taken to the trees. They have been singing beautifully and loudly all day and night but now that seems to be dying down too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas