Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 AM

110 posts, read 490,946 times

Advertisements

I have heard that Kerrville has great weather (low humidity and not quite as hot) compared to other Texas towns. Is this true for other hill country towns too or is there something special about Kerrville in that respect?

Also wondering about other hill country towns that are progressive, nice towns for families (besides Austin and San Antonio).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
We go to the Hill Country in the summer and it's still pretty hot. We usually go to Fredericksburg, which is about 20 minutes from Kerrville. Then again we live in Houston, so our definition of hot may be different from yours My gf is from Cincinnati, and she says Texas heat is more bearable than Ohio winters.

I would expect Fredericksburg to be somewhat progressive. The town is really small, but it has some amenities you would not find in a <10,000 sized town. Texas Tech set up a branch there. It's not your typical small town.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Kerrville has made name for itself with a connection to regional/folk music
the summer weather is usually about 10 degrees cooler there than in San Antonio area -- one reason being there is not the same massive amounts of concrete to capture/reflect heat that cities like SA and Austin have--and those like New Braunfels are growing to have...
Fredericksburg started as settlement of German farmers and their decendents are still around
it gets lot of business from people coming in for tourist time at different seasons--so there is lot of casual traffic in the area in addition to the other regional businesses
they both are in different counties and think each is county seat
Fredericksburg can get HOT--I have been there in summer
but think Kerrville is higher altitude and further west toward the mountains

Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Kerrville does not have what I'd consider low humidity (63% and 88 there right now) at all.

I worked outside Kerrville at Hunt/Ingram two summers in a row several years ago; it does get really hot and humid. I guess it just depends on what you're used to.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
No, the humidity isn't low. Right now at 7:00 p.m., the dew point is 70 which is very tropical. Where I'm located (south of Fort Worth), the dp is 70 as well as is Fredericksburg's dp. The heat index in FB is 96 degrees as opposed to Kerrville's of 98 degrees. You're not going to find any place in Texas that is cool in the summer. Way out west may be drier, but it's not cool by any stretch of the imagination.

I'll second the motion on Fredericksburg. You might also like Boerne.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
No, the humidity isn't low. Right now at 7:00 p.m., the dew point is 70 which is very tropical. Where I'm located (south of Fort Worth), the dp is 70 as well as is Fredericksburg's dp. The heat index in FB is 96 degrees as opposed to Kerrville's of 98 degrees. You're not going to find any place in Texas that is cool in the summer. Way out west may be drier, but it's not cool by any stretch of the imagination.

I'll second the motion on Fredericksburg. You might also like Boerne.
Marfa, and places like that do tend to be cooler because of their elevation. Right now it's 84 in Marfa, and will dip to 61 degrees. It's not predicted to get out of the 80s this week. But for the large cities in Texas, you are generally correct.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
I was in Fredericksburg for a weekend and found it felt significantly cooler than Houston at all times of the day. Weather.com says the peak average temperature in the summer is 93, which is actually cooler than all the big Texas cities. Same goes for Kerrville. And being west of them, it is probably drier as well. Nights & mornings were very nice in Fredericksburg. Right now it is 86 with a 99 heat index here @ 10pm, so that's what I'm comparing it to.

As far as being "progressive" I really couldn't see an ounce of that there.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Marfa, and places like that do tend to be cooler because of their elevation. Right now it's 84 in Marfa, and will dip to 61 degrees. It's not predicted to get out of the 80s this week. But for the large cities in Texas, you are generally correct.
I know it's quite a bit cooler there, but it can get very hot at times too, albeit much drier. It's dew point right now is actually 61, but it's only 72 degrees with 69% humidity. I thought about living there once and checked out the area (Alpine and Ft. Davis too) but, oh my, it's like another world out there and not someplace I'd like to live.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 PM

11 posts, read 45,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksABunch View Post
I have heard that Kerrville has great weather (low humidity and not quite as hot) compared to other Texas towns. Is this true for other hill country towns too or is there something special about Kerrville in that respect?

Also wondering about other hill country towns that are progressive, nice towns for families (besides Austin and San Antonio).

Thanks in advance!
the climate in kerrville isn't different from the rest of the hill country. if it is any better, the differences would be negligible.

hah! good luck finding a small progressive town in Texas! when you find one let me know! the progressive areas in Texas are found in the large cities.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXpackerbacker View Post
the climate in kerrville isn't different from the rest of the hill country. if it is any better, the differences would be negligible.

hah! good luck finding a small progressive town in Texas! when you find one let me know! the progressive areas in Texas are found in the large cities.
So I assume you have visited every single small town in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas