U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:59 PM

395 posts, read 640,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Oregon has a very high unemployment rate, not the best place to find a job.
OP is retiring... finding a job doesn't seem relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 PM

735 posts, read 451,945 times
Go to Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleoftheroad View Post
And, being a true and native Texan, I can tell you that I am not a flatlands type of person. I really liked Kerrville, but even that is a bit too extreme in the weather dept. I used to own a small biz there, and driving to work over the iced roads for weeks at a a time was a drag. I remember wishng for snow, to break the ice-grip that used to hang for 2-3 weeks without relief.

So, I was thinking more along the East Tx kind of area. Some trees, maybe even some piney-woods, but N. enough to get out of the ocean-humidity reaches. A great writer (I'm a fan-writers name is Joe R. Lansdale, and especially for his "Hap and Leonard series, like 'Mucho Mojo', 'Bad Chili', or 'Vanilla Ride') lives in Nacogdoches, and he apparently loves it, but it's been looking plenty wet, with thunderstorms every two weeks or so. So, I'm just still looking, and hopin.

thanks for the help.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 PM

5,031 posts, read 7,711,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleoftheroad View Post
And, being a true and native Texan, I can tell you that I am not a flatlands type of person. I really liked Kerrville, but even that is a bit too extreme in the weather dept. I used to own a small biz there, and driving to work over the iced roads for weeks at a a time was a drag. I remember wishng for snow, to break the ice-grip that used to hang for 2-3 weeks without relief.

So, I was thinking more along the East Tx kind of area. Some trees, maybe even some piney-woods, but N. enough to get out of the ocean-humidity reaches. A great writer (I'm a fan-writers name is Joe R. Lansdale, and especially for his "Hap and Leonard series, like 'Mucho Mojo', 'Bad Chili', or 'Vanilla Ride') lives in Nacogdoches, and he apparently loves it, but it's been looking plenty wet, with thunderstorms every two weeks or so. So, I'm just still looking, and hopin.

thanks for the help.
East Texas is pretty relentless with the humidity. I'd die there as I'm dying in central Texas.

I love the winter especially the cold one we had this year, BUT I wouldn't want to be out on the road on ice or snow. Luckily, I don't have to be since I work for the Texas school system and in my area of Texas, they usually close the schools pretty quickly in that kind of weather. Of course, that kind of weather doesn't happen often. My favorite temperature (if one were able to choose) day in and day out would be 55 degrees tops.

You'll find your perfect spot. I'm still looking for mine, but my retirement is still about 4.5 years away. I want to leave Texas, but haven't checked out other areas enough to make a wise decision as yet. I must say though, the southwestern part of VA is drop-dead gorgeous and is definitely on my list as a potential relocation. I'm also wanting to check out Idaho in particular and maybe Wyoming and Montana. Heading west has really appealed to me lately.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM

2,405 posts, read 3,738,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Amarillo and Lubbock are not that much cooler than the rest of Texas. Before Texas, I would go with catman's recommendation on a cooler place in AZ such as Flagstaff. Oregon sounds great. You won't have tornadoes in either of those states unless it were a total rarity. If it has been a long time since you lived in Texas, you might not remember the weather. If you don't like 78 with humidity in the south, you won't like Texas' southern weather either. The dew point in Lubbock right now on a July afternoon is 62 and the temperature is 88. That dew point is not very comfortable but yes, it's better than some parts of Texas. Good luck.
Lubbock has been unusually humid this summer, but even then, there is a world of difference between here and downstate Texas (I was just in Austin this morning). The dew point doesn't tell the whole story either; a 62 degree is pretty high, but the relative humidity was still around 30-50%, meaning that it still feels somewhat comfortable. Other things to take into account are that the nights actually cool down into the 60s, and there is a constant breeze.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 AM

5,031 posts, read 7,711,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Lubbock has been unusually humid this summer, but even then, there is a world of difference between here and downstate Texas (I was just in Austin this morning). The dew point doesn't tell the whole story either; a 62 degree is pretty high, but the relative humidity was still around 30-50%, meaning that it still feels somewhat comfortable. Other things to take into account are that the nights actually cool down into the 60s, and there is a constant breeze.
Yes, I know, but the point is, Texas is just beastly hot with some areas a bit more uncomfortable than others.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,299,315 times
The flooding in Nacogdoches was unusual. But if you are considering the high humidity of Nac. then a look into Tyler, might work for you. It is somewhat less humid. Read some of my posts on Tyler, I think by now I have answered or referred every question that could be asked. Ha Ha !

Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM

174 posts, read 268,089 times
Default Fayetteville, Arkansas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Go to Fayetteville, Arkansas.
I guess you didn't see that part about not liking wet places.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,299,315 times
Sorry, I guess I didn't know what you meant by "watching the Nacogdoches area with the flooding".

Yes, that is unusual.

Also, Fayetteville, Ark. gets very cold, I think, like 0-15 an snows quite a bit. Not unusual for 10-20 inches or more per year. However, it is pretty, but humidy is much above 20%. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas