U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Have you looked at a map? There is nothing spectacular to see for 200 miles between Dallas & Houston. Just prairie & forests.
You forgot cows!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 06:26 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,031,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
You forgot cows!
You are most certainly the most enthusiastic moderator out there aren't you! (Besides Bowie & Oildog)

Cows has some of the most random ranches near Huntsville.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:53 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You are most certainly the most enthusiastic moderator out there aren't you! (Besides Bowie & Oildog)

Cows has some of the most random ranches near Huntsville.
There are waaaay more enthusiastic moderators than me. Get around the forums and you'll see.

And there are cows here and there all up and down I-45.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:48 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,864,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerster View Post
I got something for you, Frenchie.

That's why.
Roooh

Old 07-25-2010, 02:20 PM

35,435 posts, read 17,960,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
A Houston-Dallas area could be possible, no ? These 2 cities aren't far from each other, no ?
That would be a big MSA, it would surpass the LA metro area before 2020 !
A metro area with Dallas and Houston?? At 239 miles between the two downtowns, no way. It's too much land mass for suburbia. The commute would be tiresome with that arrangement. The Cowboys aren't moving to Centerville in my lifetime. Why waste a thread idea like this when you could be talking about Texas food or cars instead?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:39 PM

41 posts, read 62,168 times
I believe the DFW metro area is considered to be the main counties, Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Rockwall, Kaufman, Ellis, Johnson, Parker, and Collin. If nothing else, those are the areas requiring emissions testing for vehicles, and that to me signifies the area affected by the metropolitan area of Dallas-Fort Worth. But personally, to me, I believe the Metro Area of DFW also includes places like Granbury, Glen Rose, Terrell, Corsicana, Ennis, Waco, Hillsboro, and more places up north like Grayson county and Sherman-Denison, Greenville and other small towns around it like Paris, and Gainesville up north of Denton. Urban sprawl affects the surrounding areas, too. When you drive up 35 or 75 going north, or on 35 or 45 going south, it all feels the same in the towns. There's just a little more empty space in between the towns the further out you go. But outside of that, I guess once you're past Corsicana there ain't much 'til Houston. And going west is pretty miserable and desolate past Weatherford. Abilene isn't close enough to be part of DFW in my opinion. Neither is Wichita Falls but as Bowie and Decatur continue to grow, that 287 corridor may very well become part of DFW. That would be what, DFWWF? Don't get too shocked when it happens.

I think I want to move to Amarillo and I'll deal with the smell of cow poo, the tornadoes, the snow, and the massive glut of trucks moving through. I think it would be less hectic than being within a couple of hours of DFW. One hour away feels WAY too close.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:41 PM

41 posts, read 62,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
A metro area with Dallas and Houston?? At 239 miles between the two downtowns, no way. It's too much land mass for suburbia. The commute would be tiresome with that arrangement. The Cowboys aren't moving to Centerville in my lifetime. Why waste a thread idea like this when you could be talking about Texas food or cars instead?
I think maybe Dallas and Austin would be a better idea. There's less space between them and it's filled in better. Temple-Killeen, Waco, Round Rock, and Hillsboro kind break that drive up nicely. And there's literally HUNDREDS of small towns and bedroom communities in between. Yes, I don't call them suburbs, because nobody does anything in them but sleep.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:58 PM

35,435 posts, read 17,960,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by occupant View Post
I think maybe Dallas and Austin would be a better idea. There's less space between them and it's filled in better. Temple-Killeen, Waco, Round Rock, and Hillsboro kind break that drive up nicely.
Unfortunately, that's also another thread for another day.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:46 PM

815 posts, read 891,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
For the second link- yeah I already know. I have posted that map with the mega regions at least a hundred times myself on this site, haha.

What's with the first link? I didn't really get that, I think you were trying to tell me that the definitions to both are different, right? If you were, then I already know.

Somewhere near 18 million, 2/3 of Texas's total population.
I was showing the link for others, not you. I was quoting you so others know why I post the links.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 2,000,022 times
Houston and Dallas are way too far! The closest thing I see that's already emerging is the Texapolis thing that Omshahi was talking about. Even Austin and Dallas aren't capabe even with Waco in the midde. Waco is not shwing signs of growth.

Austin-San Antonio i definitely see potential in them merging as one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas