Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM

55 posts, read 273,204 times

Advertisements

My husband got a very good job offer for either of this cities (Corpus christi,Abilene,Midland and Lubbock) ,we also have a 6 years old doughter, so basically we are looking for a place very safe and good to raise a kid with good school district .also my doughters likes some activities like dancing (she does balley and jazz) and ice skating ( figure skating) ,i was wondering if any of these places have these classes?
I will appritiate if anybody could help us to make this mjor decision
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
There is a year round ice skating rink in Odessa, which is near enough to Midland. I am not sure about the other cities tho. I would guess that Corpus would have one also but I am not sure about that.

There is a figure skating club at MCM Ice in Odessa.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Thank you Lucidus for the quick reply, what about the school district is, midland a good choice?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Thank you Lucidus for the quick reply, what about the school district is, midland a good choice?
I am not real sure about the schools but I don't think that Midland's school are particularly good. I would guess that Lubbock probably has the best schools of the cities that you listed but that is just a guess.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Lubbock most likely has the best schools (search for the thread "Lubbock Coronado or Monterey for best academics" for why I say that), followed by Abilene, then Midland and Corpus Christi. Lubbock has an ice skating rink, but I believe it's closed right now because of contract issues. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the cities, and they each have their own feel. In general, Lubbock is a college town/agricultural center, Midland is an oil town with a "deserty" feel, Abilene is an old cattle town, and Corpus Christi has the beach and is heavily influenced by Mexican culture.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 PM

Thank you so much for the for the comments...i was just doing some searches and i found this article Abilene, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
if you look at the education part it says
" Abilene also ranked as the 17th city in the nation for their public education system, the highest ranked city in Texas. This award was given by Business Outlook Magazine in their September/October 2006 edition based on the following criteria...."
so then this means that Abilene has a better school district than the rest of those 3 cities?
and also which was is safer city with low crime ?
I really appriciate for answering me

Old 02-24-2010, 01:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
The school system in CC overall is not great, but there are individual schools which are very good. There are several places your daughter could take dance classes here. There is also an ice hockey team, but I don't know about public skating or lessons. Crime stats for CC are high, but again, it's a matter of where you live. We are raising our daughter here and feel safe.

BTW, if you don't mind telling me where you husband has the offer, please DM me. My husband was laid off from offshore work last year and is looking for a job! Given the locations of your dh's offer, it sounds like it could be oil industry related.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Hi Marlow Thank you for the feedback,my husband is a doctor and he has got a job offer in medical field ...i wish your husband also gets his job back, i know the economy has been so bad lately,but just wish it will be allright soon.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the for the comments...i was just doing some searches and i found this article Abilene, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
if you look at the education part it says
" Abilene also ranked as the 17th city in the nation for their public education system, the highest ranked city in Texas. This award was given by Business Outlook Magazine in their September/October 2006 edition based on the following criteria...."
so then this means that Abilene has a better school district than the rest of those 3 cities?
and also which was is safer city with low crime ?
I really appriciate for answering me
Abilene has some great schools (I know some people who went through the system and I have relatives that taught there), but in all honesty Lubbock does have the better schools (I have written about the credentials of its magnet programs many times). I can't remember what the criteria for that list was, but Lubbock was the only other city in Texas to make that list, though slightly lower. I think a large part of it had to do with access to higher education, and Abilene has three good private colleges in town.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Hi Marlow Thank you for the feedback,my husband is a doctor and he has got a job offer in medical field ...i wish your husband also gets his job back, i know the economy has been so bad lately,but just wish it will be allright soon.
Congratulations on your husband's offer. I know things will pick up in time....

I should add that CC also has a great "gifted and talented" magnet school program for kids who test in. The program features the International Baccalaureate program, which I think is open to everyone who wants to participate at the high school level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas