Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,953,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The biggest problem with life in general is all mainstream news outlets.
Fixed lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,559,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Now I agree with you but don't blame Carter blame Ronald Reagan amnesty 1986 for this mess.
Well, the whole original amnesty started with Carter. But yes, I agree Ronald Reagan (and I am proud to have voted for him both times) was very blameable too. No question.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
A lot of conservatives in Texas dont want immigration reform because the mass immigration from Mexico and Central America equals cheap labor.
...which is exactly why this social liberal is very much against illegal immigration. It costs Americans jobs and it exploits desperate people. Better for Mexico (and other nations) to solve its (their) own problems; we have enough dire home-grown problems of our own.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,559,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek;15336562[B
]...which is exactly why this social liberal is very much against illegal immigration.[/b] It costs Americans jobs and it exploits desperate people. Better for Mexico (and other nations) to solve its (their) own problems; we have enough dire home-grown problems of our own.
*nods in appreciation of the point* Speaking as both a political and social conservative, this subject does indeed sometime make strange allies! (actually, the old direct object saying was "bedfellows"...but I am afraid now the younger people might take it literally! LOL).

Good post!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,456,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
*nods in appreciation of the point* Speaking as both a political and social conservative, this subject does indeed sometime make strange allies! (actually, the old direct object saying was "bedfellows"...but I am afraid now the younger people might take it literally! LOL).

Good post!
It certainly does. I think I've disagreed with both you and Big D Geek over some subject or another, but I agree very much with BDG's post. I really think the immigration debate crosses the "normal" partisan boundaries.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM

99 posts, read 180,406 times
Most people dont know this but, back during The Great Depression, President Herbert Hoover ordered the deportation of ALL illegal aliens in order to make jobs available to American citizens that desperately needed work.

Harry Truman deported over two million Illegal's after WWII to create jobs for returning veterans.

And then again in 1954, President Dwight Eisenhower deported 4 million Mexican nationals! The program was called 'Operation *******' so that American WWII and Korean veterans had a better chance at jobs. It took 2 Years, but the mission was accomplished.

It can be, and should be done again. Provide tools so the existing laws can be enforced with out making excuses so it never happens again.

I would love to live in Europe. But they enforce their laws.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,940,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Yeah, you can bet on that!...lol. I think a path to citizenship is needed. As many of you may recall, George W. Bush tried to pass such a measure, that John McCain supported as well. It was fairly tough. Illegal immigrants that wanted citizenship had to be placed behind those already legally pursuing citizenship for example. However, in the end it was shot down by those on the far right who didn't want "amnesty"
Why should those that came here illegally jump ahead the line of those who are trying to come here legally?

I think the OP might get a little bit offended if they were told "Sorry, you need to go to the back of the line, we are trying to process those who jumped the line and didn't spend the money or their time to do things according to the book."

Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
Most people dont know this but, back during The Great Depression, President Herbert Hoover ordered the deportation of ALL illegal aliens in order to make jobs available to American citizens that desperately needed work.

Harry Truman deported over two million Illegal's after WWII to create jobs for returning veterans.

And then again in 1954, President Dwight Eisenhower deported 4 million Mexican nationals! The program was called 'Operation *******' so that American WWII and Korean veterans had a better chance at jobs. It took 2 Years, but the mission was accomplished.

It can be, and should be done again. Provide tools so the existing laws can be enforced with out making excuses so it never happens again.
I agree.
Quote:
I would love to live in Europe. But they enforce their laws.
I hold passports for three European nations, but I assure you that enforcement in many if not most EU nations is nearly as lax as it is here...in some nations, more so. They simply do not have the volume to contend with that we do. I would say the hardest hit nation by far is the UK. Illegals travel through half a dozen EU nations over land in order to hitch a ride to the UK on a ferry or channel tunnel train. It got so bad that the UK demanded (and was eventually successful) the closure of the Sangatte "refugee" camp in northern France. However that was a pretty unique event; they do not do much to get to grips with their illegal immigrant problem there.

25% of Londoners are foreign-born. I assure you they have a big problem with it and seem fairly powerless and unmotivated to stop it.

I am fluent in the languages of the nations I hold passports for and was rarely challenged or asked to demonstrate that I had any right to be there. I could have been illegal for all they knew. I wasn't, but I could have been.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:59 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,356,363 times
I support the amnesty,a more secured border (to avoid more illegal immigration in the future) and more legal immigrants (1 million per year is good but not enough, 2 million would be better)

Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I support the amnesty,a more secured border (to avoid more illegal immigration in the future) and more legal immigrants (1 million per year is good but not enough, 2 million would be better)
Why? We have more people now than we have jobs. We do NOT need to bring more people into this country. If anything we should reduce the number of immigrants, not increase it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: