U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 13,982 times

Advertisements

Are there areas of Texas, other than the coast that don't have problems with a water shortage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 04:34 PM

14,448 posts, read 20,882,661 times
It seems likely that the areas of Texas which get the most rainfall, and/or are downstream of those areas are the least likely to be affected by drought. So East Texas and the Toledo Bend area are good bets. Keep in mind that water shortages in cities are often the result of lack of water treatment facilities, even when abundant water is available for crops.

http://www.nationalatlas.gov/printab...precip_tx3.pdf

Old 07-31-2010, 05:45 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,794,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical-Blinker View Post
Are there areas of Texas, other than the coast that don't have problems with a water shortage?
I think anything east of 35 will be fine, but anyone west of it is going to have isses.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 PM

14,625 posts, read 27,678,561 times
so half of San Antonio and Austin will have problems but not the other???

to my mind anything west of Tyler is really going to be in world of hurt
FTW right now is trying to buy water from Oklahoma and is having no luck
the state has built three large lakes in past 20 yrs trying to get ready for projected growth and they already fall behind in projected water needs ...

Old 07-31-2010, 11:26 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,794,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
so half of San Antonio and Austin will have problems but not the other???

to my mind anything west of Tyler is really going to be in world of hurt
FTW right now is trying to buy water from Oklahoma and is having no luck
the state has built three large lakes in past 20 yrs trying to get ready for projected growth and they already fall behind in projected water needs ...
Stop being simple. When I say anything west of 35; it doesn't mean there will be water loss as soon as you cross 35W.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:32 AM

6,849 posts, read 10,761,453 times
The Edwards Aquifer is west of I-35, and it's one of the largest aquifers in the world. Austin and San Antonio sit along it. Currently, something like only 5-10% of the water in it is accessible... and of that accessible water, only a fraction is used. But if all the water down there was taken into account (granted, reaching it all would be prohibitively expensive right now), it could provide water to the current 2 million residents using it for something like 200-300 years. That's if it never rained a single drop again.

And even though Austin is on the NE end of this huge aquifer, we don't even use it for our water. San Antonio does, but Austin doesn't. We just play in some of the spring fed pools the aquifer provides . So with all the recent growth Austin's had -- the city still gets all the water it needs from surface reservoirs (lakes) along the Colorado river, which seems to work fine even during the heavy droughts like the last 2 years.

Of course, conservation is always necessary because of our current limited facilities to get water; and it's a good idea in general. But long term, I don't see any problem with water in Central Texas, even areas well west of I-35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas