Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM

161 posts, read 640,316 times

Advertisements

I know the Panhandle of Texas can have colder weather and is more prone to strong tornadoes. I know some people have said "the Panhandle is more like Oklahoma or New Mexico", but what does that mean besides being geographically closer?

Are there any other noticeable differences between the Panhandle region and the rest of West Texas (Abilene, San Angelo, Midland, Odessa, Fort Stockton, Alpine)

Just curious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:40 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
I know the Panhandle of Texas can have colder weather and is more prone to strong tornadoes. I know some people have said "the Panhandle is more like Oklahoma or New Mexico", but what does that mean besides being geographically closer?

Are there any other noticeable differences between the Panhandle region and the rest of West Texas (Abilene, San Angelo, Midland, Odessa, Fort Stockton, Alpine)

Just curious?
Really all of the cities you mentioned have subtle to significant differences in climate, except for Midland and Odessa. I think Abilene and San Angelo have the most Gulf influence, Fort Stockton is the most arid, Alpine has the highest elevation, Midland/Odessa get hot and dry, Lubbock is about the average West Texas city in terms of climate (3200 ft elevation, probably the most pleasant larger city), and Amarillo gets windier and colder than much of the rest of W. Texas.

I think Amarillo is the only true 100,000-plus pop. Panhandle city, since one would have to include North Midland if Lubbock were included. I think most people would have the Panhandle starting at around Tulia or Dimmitt, between Lubbock and Amarillo.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 PM

Sorry, didn't see the "besides weather" part. I guess it's easier to grow palm trees in some cities than in others.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
Lubbock is technically not in the Panhandle, but it's more similar to Amarillo than the other cities in West Texas, so it's often included.

The biggest difference I can think of is that this area has much more agriculture than the rest of West Texas, which is largely based on oil and ranching. With the open prairie lands that make up most of the Panhandle and farming-based communities, some might say that it has a little of a Midwestern feel (in addition to the Southwestern influence in West Texas). Believe it or not, in some towns, high school basketball is just as popular as football. I'm sure there are more subtleties, but that's what I can think of right now.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post

Just curious?
Kinda depends on how you define the Panhandle. I mean, you can slice it directly east to west at the point where the Red River meets the 100th meridian, but that definition -- although accurate in a purely cartographical sense -- fails to address certain historical/cultural differences within that area.

In the book "Understanding Texas Politics", there is a chapter titled "Cultural Regions of Texas." Within, the authors label the area beginning right around and north of Amarillo to be the "Panhandle". It is historically and culturally a bit distinguished from the rest of the state as in it had/has much more of a Lower Midwestern/Plains influence than elsewhere (including other parts of West Texas).

Climatically speaking, it is easily the coldest area of the state and known for harsh winters (at least by Texas standards). Let me add though, it is not the area most prone to violent and frequent tornadoes. That dubious honor belongs to northwest and north central parts of Texas.

Just on a related tangent, West Texas -- which begins along and west of a Vernon/Abilene line -- can easily be divided into three sub-regions (IMHO). Trans-Pecos, Panhandle (described above), and just plain "West Texas" LOL

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just on a related tangent, West Texas -- which begins along and west of a Vernon/Abilene line -- can easily be divided into three sub-regions (IMHO). Trans-Pecos, Panhandle (described above), and just plain "West Texas" LOL
The Lubbock area is usually called the "South Plains." (I'd prefer the "Southern High Plains" just to illustrate its elevation and differentiate it from East Texas.) Abilene and vicinity is known as the "Big Country" or "Rolling Plains," and Midland/Odessa is the "Permian Basin."

Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
I'd say Alpine is different from the rest, being located among mountains (although they aren't spectacular ones like the Colorado Rockies). But the towns/areas are all different from one another to varying degrees. I think another big disctinction is where the Caprock (AKA South Plains/Southern High Plains, Llano Estacado) begins, just west of Post, Texas. The terrain immediately changes from rough and broken to the east to flat and gently sloping upward to the west.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
The Texas State Historical Association defines the Texas Panhandle as:

Quote:
Handbook of Texas Online - PANHANDLE
PANHANDLE. The 25,610-square-mile Panhandle of Texas was shaped by the Compromise of 1850, which resolved the state's controverted territorial claims. It is bounded on the east by the 100th meridian, on the north by parallel 36°30', and on the west by the 103rd meridian. It comprises the northernmost twenty-six counties of the state; the line forming the southern boundary of Swisher County in the central Panhandle marks the southern boundary.
It goes on in considerable detail about the history of the area.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 PM

161 posts, read 640,316 times
Basically, it roughly would be a line from Plainview and Childress and anything North.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:25 PM

10 posts, read 22,817 times
Is Memphis,TX in the panhandle ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas