Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Thank you tgannaway89 and Sandstorm 214 for the clarifications--details that I had long forgotten. All of this had been on the news and in the media--as well as what locals in Midland-Odessa and Andrews knew at whatever time.

It got so convoluted at times that it was hard to guess what was actually going on...and what the facilities in question were actually going to be in the end.

I can just see eventual groundwater contamination here--and water is our most precious resource in dry West Texas country.

I resent the hell out of Texas and New Mexico becoming dumping grounds for all of the rest of the country's nuclear waste.

This NIMBY just sucks to the max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I can just see eventual groundwater contamination here--and water is our most precious resource in dry West Texas country.

I resent the hell out of Texas and New Mexico becoming dumping grounds for all of the rest of the country's nuclear waste.

This NIMBY just sucks to the max.
I definitely share your concerns about the water. The chemicals used to bring the oil up are bad enough (of course, most everyone I know in Hobbs had bottled water home delivery because the tap water was so awful), but this just adds another risk factor.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:02 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
You sound like those guys who bring up Chernobyl every time they wanna oppose the use of nuclear energy. Don't you think that technology has improved over the last 40 years and so did the regulations? After groundwater contaminations on previous sites people pretty much realized that dumping toxic waste in 15 ft deep trenches and capping them with dirt in wet-climate areas like Maxey Flats and West Falls was probably not the good idea. And started looking for ways to make storage facilities safer and build them in SW areas with an arid climate.

A piece of protective clothing has higher radiation than a nuclear rod? Why am I having such a hard time believing that? Unless you referring to some really really specific type of low-level waste, but the thing is if it has radiation levels higher than high-level waste it will no longer be shipped to a low-level waste storage

Keep in mind that while I'm completely open to an idea that the whole article is a lying WCS' propaganda, I'd like to see the evidence of the really strong opposition to this project in Andrews county. Because the only attitudes I've seen so far in that area was is either apathy or excitement about new jobs. And very few people actually seem to oppose it.
Since I don't have the access to the people's attitudes in Andrews County that you have, I guess I'll have to go with you on this one. LOL, the more I think about it, you're right, what's the big deal anyway?

Nowdays, when companies (not just WCS) tell the public don't worry, everything is under control, I say that's good enough. After all, what on earth could possibly go wrong. Gee whiz, what with the newer, stricter regulations in place, the word of CEO's and top government officials to boot, nothing can go wrong. They will guarantee. So, no worries, be happy.

I know I'm not concerned. Hot dang, I just stuck my rose colored glasses on and it's coming up blue skies, sunshine and roses to me!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
How about shipping it to a certain backyard in Montecito, California?

That is where Simmons is slinking about nowadays, right?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
I spoke in about this is a recent news interview:

http://permianbasin360.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=71705

Just like poster Heimdall the WCS official's branded us as radical environmentalists with an agenda to stop nuclear power.

FYI if you don't want Texas to become the nation's nuclear waste dump you are a liberal environmentalist hippie. That is their ploy to get people to support the project. Harold Simmon's is projected to earn about $3 billion on this waste dump. Texas (aka the taxpayers) assumes ownership (aka liability/risk) once the waste crosses state lines. Cash-in-pocket and no need to worry about future lawsuits. They are going to need a much better ploy to get support for this!

Last edited by tgannaway89; 08-12-2010 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post

http://permianbasin360.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=71705

Just like poster Heimdall the WCS official's branded us as radical environmentalists with an agenda to stop nuclear power.

FYI if you don't want Texas to become the nation's nuclear waste dump you are a liberal environmentalist hippie.
In an ironic twist, I heard an ad on NPR (National Public Radio -- do they do ads? ) tonight about Simmons' Foundation and Cancer Treatment.

I am thinking the math looks like:

Texas + More Radiation = More Cancer Treatment.

It is a beautiful thing.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
In an ironic twist, I heard an ad on NPR (National Public Radio -- do they do ads? ) tonight about Simmons' Foundation and Cancer Treatment.

I am thinking the math looks like:

Texas + More Radiation = More Cancer Treatment.

It is a beautiful thing.
The crazy thing is that Andrews County already has one of the highest cancer rates in Texas.

I'm not sure how much a skew the website the OP listed has, but if half the things that are listed under their "concerns" page is true, that's enough for me to say no way, Jose.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post

Both Sides React to Complaint Filed Against WCS, Urging the Feds to Step in - PermianBasin360.com

FYI if you don't want Texas to become the nation's nuclear waste dump you are a liberal environmentalist hippie. That is their ploy to get people to support the project. Harold Simmon's is projected to earn about $3 billion on this waste dump. Texas (aka the taxpayers) assumes ownership (aka liability/risk) once the waste crosses state lines. Cash-in-pocket and no need to worry about future lawsuits. They are going to need a much better ploy to get support for this!
I'm a conservative that supports nuclear energy in general but I'm definitely against this site because it's simply not in a safe location. No nuclear waste site should be anywhere near a major water source, especially one as large as the Ocallala Aquifer. There are simply too many other virtually uninhabitable areas in many states out west or even in other parts of far West Texas that would be a much better place for dump sites. So I guess now I'll be labeled as a "radical environmentalist" as well...lol.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
Construction begins December 2010. Operations expected to begin September 2011.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I'm a conservative that supports nuclear energy in general but I'm definitely against this site because it's simply not in a safe location. No nuclear waste site should be anywhere near a major water source, especially one as large as the Ocallala Aquifer. There are simply too many other virtually uninhabitable areas in many states out west or even in other parts of far West Texas that would be a much better place for dump sites. So I guess now I'll be labeled as a "radical environmentalist" as well...lol.
Or maybe . . . just maybe . . . start to realize just how stupid the entire "conservative-liberal-radical-environmentalist-etc" routine is. Would not that be a break-through?

Folks with independent thinking making rational decisions?

Since the entire ConservoLiberal Routine is mostly Corporate Marketing and Labeling . . . What would an Independent Marketing Slogan for all this look like?

Water First. Private Profits and Stupid Politicks Last?

Dunno, but I think you are on the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas