Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I would like to make my own.
If you have an HEB Central Market in Dallas (you do, right??), you can get everything you need as far as chiles go.

Sis lives in Austin....and the Central Market there has fresh Hatch chiles in open bins, labeled mild/medium/hot, where you can pick out your own pods and have them roasted as well.

Whether they do the same in Dallas, I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,523,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I've lived in New Mexico for a year. I just assumed the 2 states like each other because they're neighbors and there are a lot of Cowboys fans here in New Mexico. But some people say they don't like Texas and that the 2 states have a rivalry.

Is it the exception or the norm for Texans and New Mexicans to feel a rivalry toward each other?

I've only heard the New Mexico side of the story so I am interested in hearing the Texas side of the story.

I like both states and this is not meant as an insult to either state.
Very interesting thread topic!

Personally, I never thought of Texas and New Mexico as having a "rivalry" per se. Perhaps -- as some other posters have alluded to -- it is traceable to that there is no major college football rivalries existing (as in the case of Oklahoma and Arkansas! LOL).

Seriously, last time I was in New Mexico, some of the natives referred to Texans as "flat-landers". But in just a jocular way not at all suggestive of any truly inter-state animosities.

With all that said though, here is a contemplative editorial I ran accross today which may cast it all in a different light! LOL:

Texas, New Mexico towns still duel over Billy the Kid

Old 08-20-2010, 11:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
LOL!! I suppose that Bill Richardson is so lame-duck at this point that he's entertaining the idea of pardoning a long-dead little thug of a cattle thief!

I was flabbergasted that a town in Texas even cared....they must be really desperate, to say the least!

I hear so much about him in next-door Lincoln county that I just want to barf.....I will be glad when Richardson is gone (term limits) and the issue DIES....!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:01 PM

288 posts, read 720,989 times
Excluding Southeast NM, most New Mexicans have a relatively poor opinion of Texans. There are a few reasons for this. Many Texans think they "own" NM due to some arbitrary claim that they owned everything east of the Rio Grande, which is complete hogwash. In fact Texans have invaded NM twice and failed both times--during the Civil War and before the Mexican American War. Frankly Texas should probably end at the Pecos River if your familiar with the history and geography of the region..

Old 11-01-2013, 03:10 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,766,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
Excluding Southeast NM, most New Mexicans have a relatively poor opinion of Texans. There are a few reasons for this. Many Texans think they "own" NM due to some arbitrary claim that they owned everything east of the Rio Grande, which is complete hogwash. In fact Texans have invaded NM twice and failed both times--during the Civil War and before the Mexican American War. Frankly Texas should probably end at the Pecos River if your familiar with the history and geography of the region..
You resurrect this thread with that? What's hogwash is thinking Texans even think about this. It is so below the radar when we have another border that concerns us so much more.

Last edited by PanTerra; 11-01-2013 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM

816 posts, read 1,939,450 times
Quote:
Strong bump.

I never saw New Mexico as a rival. Very interesting to see people think that way.

California is probably our biggest rival.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,937,168 times
My grandfather is from the Land of Enchantment and I have family still there. I think New Mexico is a good state but I don't like it too much personally.It has some pretty parts that's for sure but Id rather vacation in Arizona and California as opposed to NM.Im a native Texan.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:27 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,897,120 times
It's one of those one way rivalries - kind of like how TAMU always thought of UT as their rival but UT thought of OU as its rival.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,863,410 times
The only rivalry I have heard of is fighting with El Paso over water rights.

http://newmexicomercury.com/blog/com...nde_deliveries

Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 PM

518 posts, read 810,888 times
didn't UNM vs. Texas Tech used to be a rivalry in football?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas