U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-07-2007, 11:32 PM

55 posts, read 117,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV View Post
I can see where the RGV would not be attractive to a young unmarried profession looking for fun things to do and looking for fun places to go to meet other people.
Actually, the RGV offers a fun place for unmarried men, professionals and non-professionals, and it's open 24 hours per day. It's the 'zona roja' in Reynosa, also known as 'Boystown'. It's the RGV's version of New Orleans' French Quarter, although it's even sleazier and dirtier in Reynosa's smaller, but walled-in zone. Aside from the legalized female entertainment, it's a place where guys often make new friends. Indeed it's not a place where all guys feel comfortable, but I've known many who choose to live in the valley as opposed to anywhere else in the USA, merely due to the existance of this Boystown just a short drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-26-2007, 11:42 AM

12 posts, read 29,624 times
Thanks very much, y'all, sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I've just been very busy.

A couple of points.

1) It looks more likely that I will be staying in Austin, as I have recently found a good opportunity for a promotion in my current job, and I would rather not move until I can move back to New Orleans. However, the RGV is still a possiblity.

2) I've narrowed it down to Brownsville, McAllen, and Harlingen. Of the three, Brownsville probably would work best for me. My best friend, as I said before, was born in and grew up in Del Rio, and he says that although he loved it, I'd probably go stir-crazy there. He's the type of guy though who is really laid back and is more of the restaurant/computer/TV stuff-you-can-do-anywhere type.

3) I would be teaching in English, because it's a special program, immersion-style, specialty in sociology/current affairs. Think about it as a between high-school and college level civics class.

4) I think the "diversity" part might have been a bit misinterpreted. I was trying to be polite. I was looking over the boards here, and almost every thread on the RGV seemed to contain a number of posts that contained much less polite version of "oh no, there's too many Hispanics here." Well, obviously, I read the charts on the main page for the cities too, and if I was the sort of person bothered by it, I wouldn't have thought of the move to begin with. Personally, I think that moving to somewhere like the RGV and then complaining about the percentage of Hispanics there is like scuba diving at a coral reef and spending the entire time complaining about being wet. Yes, I have. . .shall we say. . .difficulty. . .with racists. That really doesn't matter on a board like this, where the main topic is, "would I like it in X place." If you're a racist, you'd be happier in Vidor than Brownsville. I'm not a racist, and I avoid Vidor. I was just trying to be polite, but get across the fact that I really, honestly, don't care *at all* about the racial makeup of the area where I live. To give you an example of what I mean, I've found that although I'm white (technically half Cajun and half Creole, my family on both sides identifies as white, which is accurate) I often look like whoever I'm standing next to. My aforementioned best friend is Hispanic, and when I was at a party held by his family, he and I were out on the side walk talking (as usual) about heavy metal. I'm a smoker, and he had followed me out to continue the conversation when I went outside to light up, since the person who's party it was didn't want people smoking in his house. While we were out there (talking in English for what it's worth) we were accosted by some drunk racist passer-by who started unleashing anti-Hispanic slurs at the both of us. We looked at each other, and immediately switched from English to French (which we both speak, he speaks seven languages) which left the guy wondering if he was in the twilight zone, and wandered away. If someone is a raving racist and thinking about moving to Brownsville, (or such) by all means, warn them away. Both they and Brownsville will be happier for it. By the same token, the fact that I would never move to Vidor keeps both me and the people of Vidor from irritating each other daily. I was simply trying to politely say "I consider the racial make-up of a city to be somewhat less important to me than the cost of the mayor's contact lenses," so that I didn't have to be rude and come right out and say, "Racists have the same effect on me that syrup of ipecac does."

5) As far as the 24 hours thing goes. Specifically things like grocery stores, restaurants (even just a diner is fine), that sort of thing. I know there are few places as 24 hours as what I'm used to, but it's still a big plus in my book.

Overall, thanks very much, it's about a 50/50 chance now as to whether I'm going to move or stay put. (I won't have to decided for a couple of months, which gives me long enough to find out if I get the promotion, which would be too good to pass up.)

I'll be checking back more, thanks again

Pentalarc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas