Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

Colorado Springs has begun to stretch so far north and Denver metro has stretched so far south that that 71 mile distance between downtown Denver and downtown C/S is not even worth mentioning. It takes 60 miles to get to Denver from the Air Force Academy which is on the northern outskirts of the Springs. The drive only takes 45 minutes
It is still an awful comparison. Two cities/metro divisions that bleed into each other vs. two that are separated by miles of open land. Not to mention that Dallas and Fort Worth are much bigger than Denver and the Springs comparatively.

Its a s**t comparison. Period.

There is no reason to discuss it further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i hate to reference them, but people from cities like new york, boston, and chicago laugh at the idea that a city without good public trans could call itself urban.
Ever heard of Los Angeles, particularly the Westside? The "Subway to the Sea" is finally becoming reality after the accident 25 years ago which is similar to the Red Line light rail in location and significance.

Of course those cities are only jealous that they already reached their peak and time has passed them by. If you heard the NPR story of canceling Law and Order for Law and Order Los Angeles, I wouldn't be surprised that the networks move their headquarters and consolidate studios in L.A. next; the news departments will be move to Washington because of synergies in cost savings and access.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
houston can have all the "established urban districts" it wants, but the lack of sufficient rail makes it lose points tremendously. i hate to reference them, but people from cities like new york, boston, and chicago laugh at the idea that a city without good public trans could call itself urban.

and houston is the last city that needs to be pointing fingers at another city for being "depressing"

dallas is getting their act together, and i hate to say it, but they seem to be on a much better path than houston. just my opinion
Care to post some examples on how Dallas is on a better path? It's a pretty laughable statement, in my opinion.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It is still an awful comparison. Two cities/metro divisions that bleed into each other vs. two that are separated by miles of open land. Not to mention that Dallas and Fort Worth are much bigger than Denver and the Springs comparatively.

Its a s**t comparison. Period.

There is no reason to discuss it further.
Wow. I pushed SOMEONE'S buttons. One would think you were born and bred in Dallas the way you take it so personal! Are you sure you're not really from DFW just posing to be from LA? Geesh!

You can try to argue me down all you want. Sh**t comparison or not, Its my perception. Yes, Colorado Springs is definitely much smaller than Dallas and has less amentities. I simply said I felt the vibes are similar. Colorado Springs has little urban pockets in its downtown, Old Colorado City, and Manitou Springs, but like Dallas, it has that neighborhood feel to it. That's what I was talking about. I wasn't talking about Dallas's metro 6.5 million plus population advantage, number of malls, or luxury hotel advantage. I could care less about all the things in Dallas's metro. If I want all that in Colorado Springs, Denver is less than an hour away.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Wow. I pushed SOMEONE'S buttons. One would think you were born and bred in Dallas the way you take it so personal! Are you sure you're not really from DFW just posing to be from LA? Geesh!

You can try to argue me down all you want. Sh**t comparison or not, Its my perception. Yes, Colorado Springs is definitely much smaller than Dallas and has less amentities. I simply said I felt the vibes are similar. Colorado Springs has little urban pockets in its downtown, Old Colorado City, and Manitou Springs, but like Dallas, it has that neighborhood feel to it. That's what I was talking about. I wasn't talking about Dallas's metro 6.5 million plus population advantage, number of malls, or luxury hotel advantage. I could care less about all the things in Dallas's metro. If I want all that in Colorado Springs, Denver is less than an hour away.
I do the same thing when people compare Houston and Austin to LA. A bad analogy is a bad analogy, it doesnt matter where it is. Houston and Jackson both have that "neighborhood feel" to them, but Im not dumb enough to try and say they are alike. Hell, Waco, Tyler, and Lubbock both have those too. Maybe Dallas, Houston, Waco, Tyler, Jackson, and Colorado Springs are all just alike?

The only places Dallas can really be compared with are Houston and Atlanta. Those are really the only places that have any significant amount of things in common with Dallas. Not only is Dallas much larger than Colorado Springs, its much larger than Denver. Its also much larger than both combined without the help of Fort Worth. Its a s**t comparrison.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I do the same thing when people compare Houston and Austin to LA. A bad analogy is a bad analogy, it doesnt matter where it is. Houston and Jackson both have that "neighborhood feel" to them, but Im not dumb enough to try and say they are alike. Hell, Waco, Tyler, and Lubbock both have those too. Maybe Dallas, Houston, Waco, Tyler, Jackson, and Colorado Springs are all just alike?

The only places Dallas can really be compared with are Houston and Atlanta. Those are really the only places that have any significant amount of things in common with Dallas. Not only is Dallas much larger than Colorado Springs, its much larger than Denver. Its also much larger than both combined without the help of Fort Worth. Its a s**t comparrison.
How many times do you have to keep sounding like a broken record? I get it. YOU THINK its a sh**t comparison. That doesn't mean it is. Again, I wasn't talking about size or amentities, I was talking vibe and feel. So you talk about not being dumb enough but you seem to not know the difference on what someone is comparing after its already been spelled out for you.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
DALLAS:
dallas tx - Google Maps

^^^^now picture that same scene in houston, but instead there's huge slabs of cement on the road, a pawn shop and a bail bondsman on the corner, and a bunch of sad looking, randomly planted baby pine trees

...it's jokes, guys

Old 08-27-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
DALLAS:
dallas tx - Google Maps

^^^^now picture that same scene in houston, but instead there's huge slabs of cement on the road, a pawn shop and a bail bondsman on the corner, and a bunch of sad looking, randomly planted baby pine trees

...it's jokes, guys
I've already agreed that Dallas overall looks better than Houston. Most suburban neighborhoods look better than "the city".

I'm joking too!

Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
I've already agreed that Dallas overall looks better than Houston. Most suburban neighborhoods look better than "the city".

I'm joking too!
hey, that area is right outside downtown!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
hey, that area is right outside downtown!
So is Houston's midtown, Allen Parkway/Eleanor Teasley, and Museum District. Houston has some equivalents and its only going to get better. Outside of downtown's eastside is beginning to show signs of shaping up and the new stadium looks like its started the remedial work for construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas