Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
So is Houston's midtown, Allen Parkway/Eleanor Teasley, and Museum District. Houston has some equivalents and its only going to get better. Outside of downtown's eastside is beginning to show signs of shaping up and the new stadium looks like its started the remedial work for construction.
you're missing the point. i was trying to say that that area looks nicer than anything in houston, IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
. i was trying to say that that area looks nicer than anything in houston, IMO
According to whom? Houston has a few of those types of developments too, but i admit Dallas is a little ahead in that category. Houston's catching up and fast. Regency Square will be under construction soon. Kirby and Westheimer/ West Avenue are nice pedestrian areas. Midtown Houston has several of those types of apartment and condo buildings. So what's the big deal? Do you want me to post a mapquest photo too?

Obviously you are biased more towards Dallas so of course you're going to say that an area in Dallas looks better than anywhere in Houston, which is false. Who's to judge which area looks better? Someone may have a different opinion or taste from what you perceive as better. Some people aren't into all that faux development.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
^^^Its subjective. In the end it doesnt matter. Dallas started off as the pretty white collar city and Houston started off as the gritty port town. Now they seem to be meeting half way. Houston has tried to beautify itself and Dallas is becoming more gritty. 15 years from now, this conversation wont matter.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
How is Dallas more gritty? Do you even live in Dallas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
^^^Its subjective. In the end it doesnt matter. Dallas started off as the pretty white collar city and Houston started off as the gritty port town. Now they seem to be meeting half way. Houston has tried to beautify itself and Dallas is becoming more gritty. 15 years from now, this conversation wont matter.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How is Dallas more gritty? Do you even live in Dallas?
I said Dallas is getting more gritty and it is. I didnt say Dallas was more gritty than Houston.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Where is it getting more gritty?

Quote:
I said Dallas is getting more gritty and it is. I didnt say Dallas was more gritty than Houston.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM

Deep Ellum and Downtown for starters. Its not a universal thing. Different parts of the city are doing different things. Gritty isnt really a bad thing. Dallas has been so refined that it can lose character. A little grit is a good thing in my opinion.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Those places have always been gritty.

Quote:
Deep Ellum and Downtown for starters. Its not a universal thing. Different parts of the city are doing different things. Gritty isnt really a bad thing. Dallas has been so refined that it can lose character. A little grit is a good thing in my opinion.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
I would pick Dallas because Houston is vulnerable to hurricanes.I like both cities.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 PM

213 posts, read 388,453 times
At the end of the day, it not only comes to how the city looks, but what are the locals like? To me, Houston has just a bit more interesting personalities. Houston folks seem to be a bit warm and welcoming and quirky all-in-one. Yes Dallas has the perfect well-coiffed blondes, but so does Houston -- just not as many. Both cities have a large upper-crust class and both have a large lower-income class, which proves that the cities aren't that much seperated by socio-econimic factors. Dallas says that it is wealthier, but that really is in thanks to Fort Worth's Bass and Walton families and their billions. Houston has more millionaires, so it isn't much of agruement since both cities have massive wealth-management firms in abundance. Both cities have bland, quirky and stylish citizens. Both have massive social-functions, although Houston seems to be a more philantrophic than Dallas, being that the Ballet and Opera are more world-renowned than Dallas's. Old and fast new money are flowing in both towns.

As far as international social-cachet goes, Houston wins due to the fact of international social queen Lynn Wyatt and the incoming Becca Cason Thrash calling it home. Lynn Wyatt has been promoting Houston's fancy side for decades all over the world, and did it with class mind you.

If you want to live Highland Park, there is a house in River Oaks just like it, with the same powerful private school right down the road. If you want to live in Memorial, there is a house in the Turtle Creek area with just as much shade, but less evergreen. If you want to live in Southlake, The Woodlands is just for you if you want the town square feel and some foliage to add.

Dallas is bit stodgy for some, but Houston has some strong stodgy parts that everyone forgets about. Both have private clubs and country clubs and all of that stuff.

I tend feel a certain way when I drive in both cities doing business and interacting with the people. Yes Dallas has a refined look in some areas, but Houston has that and a more powerful influential international feel to its business scene; and look of the city especially when you view the massive port; and then drive to the shimmering scrapers of downtown and points west.

Houston is bit more southern while Dallas is more midwestern and southwestern. But it can be said that both are the powerful economic engines of Texas, the South and the US; as well as a great places to raise a family, start a business, be successful or whatever your dreams maybe.

If you haven't noticed, I personally favor Houston, but I enjoy shopping at Barneys and driving down Preston in Dallas. I like Mi Cocina in Dallas, just as much as I like El-Tiempo Cantina in Houston. It all comes down to what city grows on your more while making you happy and productive and successful. In which both cities win big at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas