U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2010, 04:58 PM

100 posts, read 172,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
It sounds like your mind is already made up. There's nothing new being said in this thread than any of the other hundreds of Houston and Dallas threads that preceded this one. So go to Dallas already!

April is Houston's one month of spring so I don't know what you're talking about there. The heat and humidity doesn't start up till May.

Lol, this debate is interesting. I can really care less about the weather, though, Im more interested in the lifestyle and whatnot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 PM

8,962 posts, read 8,351,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
Right, so why do Houstonians boast "Oh, no zoning is great, because it make it cheap to live here", Yes but the neighborhoods are prone to more sporadic crimes and it makes our city ugly and lacking in beauty. No value. I mean both Dallas and Houston have no natural beauty or good weather. So at least Dallas was forward enough to plan and make their city decent looking. Houston has not kept up with it booming growth and aesthetics in are cheaply repaired and not nice.
You can't be serious. You think zoning is forward thinking? Seriously, Dallas and Houston don't look much different off of the freeways. People really like to exaggerrate Houston's no zoning laws. The truth is, Houston has plenty of city ordinance and codes that alnost act like zoning.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,190,679 times
Quote:
I wondered how Houston become integrated or have always been integrated than Dallas, lack of zoning maybe? The thing with Houston, nothing stays nice long (ie..Sharpstown, Alief, Westbury, Aldine, Spring Branch, Almeda area, Greenspoint...) I was told Houston grew too fast and Dallas was historically a white collar, larger city and Houston was a small blue collar port town, that exploded huge? Now both are the same.
This is false. Dallas was never bigger than Houston. It's metro only became bigger when Fort Worth and Dallas grew together and formed an alliance via the airport. If you think about it, its the same type of growth Houston experienced, sprawl.
Quote:
Right, so why do Houstonians boast "Oh, no zoning is great, because it make it cheap to live here", Yes but the neighborhoods are prone to more sporadic crimes and it makes our city ugly and lacking in beauty. No value. I mean both Dallas and Houston have no natural beauty or good weather. So at least Dallas was forward enough to plan and make their city decent looking. Houston has not kept up with it booming growth and aesthetics in are cheaply repaired and not nice.
Infrastructure wise, yes Dallas is the better looking city, but naturally, Houston is better looking because of the large trees and Greenery. Houston is improving though in both regards. It seems like its trying to embrace its natural areas such as the Bray's Bayou and Buffalo Bayou developments, although the Trinity River park planned for Dallas will be nothing short of awesome.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,504,052 times
some people will tell you that dallas and houston are very similar while others will tell you the cities are very different. both arguments are correct, IMO

to me, the biggest difference between the areas is the more northern/sterile look and feel of dallas versus the more coastal/marshy feel of houston

Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 8,562 times
Dallas has many extremely ugly areas. No one ever talks about east, west, northwest, or south Dallas. But 3 quarters of the Dallas city limits look horrible. You need to explore the ENTIRE city of Dallas, before you can say that Dallas looks better than Houston. In Houston, the good and the bad are mixed together with the best looking stuff on the west and near south (Hermann Park area). Houston has more and better looking parks too. There is nothing like Hermann Park in Dallas. The park around White Rock lake is nice, but there are a lot more activities around Hermann Park, like the museums and zoo.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 AM

100 posts, read 172,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You can't be serious. You think zoning is forward thinking? Seriously, Dallas and Houston don't look much different off of the freeways. People really like to exaggerrate Houston's no zoning laws. The truth is, Houston has plenty of city ordinance and codes that alnost act like zoning.
Zoning makes a city not so chaotic and ugly, yes zoning make things expensive, but not that much ( Dallas= Zoning and Houston= No Zoning-not that much different in cost of living) Dallas and Houston look similar but not. Houston has more vegetation with bayous, developed and natural trees (north, northeast and some part of west Houston) but most of Houston is flat on a coastal plain. Dallas is mostly an elevated prairie with mature trees planted by developers and dotted with some lakes. Houston is more swampy, Dallas is more dry.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasEngineer33 View Post
Dallas has many extremely ugly areas. No one ever talks about east, west, northwest, or south Dallas. But 3 quarters of the Dallas city limits look horrible. You need to explore the ENTIRE city of Dallas, before you can say that Dallas looks better than Houston. In Houston, the good and the bad are mixed together with the best looking stuff on the west and near south (Hermann Park area). Houston has more and better looking parks too. There is nothing like Hermann Park in Dallas. The park around White Rock lake is nice, but there are a lot more activities around Hermann Park, like the museums and zoo.
sorry, but i've seen both cities extensively and i just don't agree with this. dallas is simply a better looking, more organized city in my opinion

Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,190,679 times
Quote:
Zoning makes a city not so chaotic and ugly, yes zoning make things expensive, but not that much ( Dallas= Zoning and Houston= No Zoning-not that much different in cost of living) Dallas and Houston look similar but not. Houston has more vegetation with bayous, developed and natural trees (north, northeast and some part of west Houston) but most of Houston is flat on a coastal plain. Dallas is mostly an elevated prairie with mature trees planted by developers and dotted with some lakes. Houston is more swampy, Dallas is more dry.
So why don't you just call it a day and move to Dallas? It sounds like you would be much happier there.

Dallas mainly looks good in downtown, North Dallas, and of the North Central Expressway coridor. Dallas is not all that all around the city like you claim it is. Like DallasEngineer said, it's not polished everywhere. Only the nice, new upcoming areas are. In Houston, they have everything (old and new) mixed together more but it too becomes more polished the further west you go (OFF KATY FREEWAY). Its Houston's equivalent to Dallas's north central expwy.

I'm giving Houston credit that there does to seem to be more effort in to tearing down the crummy, unutilized structures that are barely standing. I've noticed more and more being demolished this year alone than my whole 6 years of being here. The New Mayor has really been great about that. It's cleaning up.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM

81 posts, read 105,669 times
I spent time up in DFW and came back to Houston for a better job. Both are great areas.

Houston - diversity, cultural scene, international, and while the zoning is weird I am actually one of the few people who likes it. It gives Houston a uniqueness that not many cities have. Houston I find also has a lot of character, which is something I love.

Dallas - my favorite part of the area was actually the topography, DFW is more hilly and overall the landscape is prettier to look at than Houston. Dallas is overall a cleaner looking city I guess you could say and with Ft Worth not too far away you have another distinct city that is easy to get to.

Between the two - they are both fine and I enjoy both areas, it all comes down to personal preference and what matters most to you. In my honest opinion though Houston overall just has more character, which is why it slowly edges out Dallas in my book.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 AM

both cities have those god awful concrete roads, so yeah i guess it is somewhat of a tie in some ways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas