Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 13,492 times

Advertisements

99% Dixie. Is General Lee your grandfather?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Soda is used more often in the south than coke imo. I've never in my life heard anyone refer to a soda as a coke.
Humm. I have always heard people say "coke." I try to avoid it now and just say "soft drink".

Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
I also use service road and access road interchangeably. I will fight anyone who calls it a feeder though

Old 08-26-2010, 05:53 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I went back and retook the test, using words I'd used as a child, like "crawdad" instead of "crawfish" which I use now. "Crayfish" is the word that makes me want to hurt someone. That's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I too use service road and access road interchangeably, as well as feeder road occasionally (I hear that a lot up here in OKC).

This time I got a 91%.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
My results:

I agree about some answers I really could've picked multiple choices especially the the front lawn sale one; I tend to call it either garage sale or yard sale. Also, for the little bugs; I call them either roly-poly or doodle bugs. Also, seriously......Soda is used more often in the south than coke imo. I've never in my life heard anyone refer to a soda as a coke.
The roly-poly and doodle bug thing I agree with. I call them both as well.

Gotta take issue with the coke vs. soda thing though. Here is a good map on it based on a survey done a few years back as part of the Harvard dialect study:

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

We talked about that on another thread once. I think the general consensus was that in Texas/South it might be more of a black/white "division" with the former tending toward "soda" and the latter to "coke."

Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Interesting map Randy! I thought the way I answered the questions I might have a poor "Southern" score . I think some of the questions were throwouts though.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Interesting map Randy! I thought the way I answered the questions I might have a poor "Southern" score . I think some of the questions were throwouts though.
Had a few free minutes so thought I would post this one as well. It is a bit different from the one Bob posted (although some questions are similar). Anyway, some of you have probably seen it before (as I think we did it several years back), but some may not have. This "ranks" your speech in terms of a broad variety of American accents, from most to least.

Here it is:

What American accent do you have?

Just to note: To get an accurate reading, it is important to really, really, listen to yourself (maybe even get someone else to listen TO you! LOL), as to how you sound, not how you THINK you sound (as most of us really can't totally discern our own inflections). For instance, I may think I pronounce the first personal pronoun "I" as straight-up "eye"...but in carefully listening to myself say it in a sentence (such as "I need to go to the store."), there is actually a slight "ah" sound to it. That is to say, when taking the quiz, try as best you can to say the word in a sentence or something as if you are speaking in normal conversation and not being "tested." Try and "distance" yourself from the latter. LOL

Here was my own score in order:

Your Result:

The South
The Midland
The Inland North
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The West
North Central
Boston

Well, work beckons once again, so better run!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
7. About "on" rhyming with either "dawn" or "don"....neither one! I say "on" and "own" the same.

For some reason, I ended up with "Midland." LOL!!

A slight "ah" (for pronoun I) sound is what I hear from most native Texans. I fight it tooth and nail, but don't always succeed!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I ended up with Midland, too. Go figure!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
From the second language quiz:

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas