Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 AM

16 posts, read 48,123 times

Advertisements

Hi.

We are some exchange students in Norman (Oklahoma) and we are planning to visit some places in Texas from 3rd to 6th September. So, I would like you tell us an interesting city or some of them in Texas for visiting. Also we would like to have party, so if you could tell us any place with nice discos...

By the way, do you know any event for these days? Maybe Nascar, rodeo, concerts, any festival...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,060,341 times
Austin for party time, clubs, all types of music, U.T. Classes for the fall have begun. It's "the place" Oh, you must be from Europe, most Texas people are afraid of the word "disco" they may think you are Gay, heaven forbid. Ha, Ha.

Yep, most of Europe I like. to visit, not to live, too much Muslim influence, take over now, man what a change in the last ten years. For the worse. Hope you enjoy Texas !!

Old 08-27-2010, 01:23 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,944,100 times
I agree with the Austin recommendation, but I would also suggest going down to San Antonio on your trip. It's only about 85 miles south of Austin and you've got the Alamo (a must-see), the missions trail (about a half-dozen Spanish colonial mission churches dating from the 1700's), and the lovely San Antonio River Walk (be sure to have Mexican food on the river walk). Also if you like architecture, downtown San Antonio has an amazing collection of classic art deco buildings. The cathedral there is also worth seeing - it's quite ancient too and the remains of the defenders of the Alamo are buried there.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,660,493 times
are you driving or flying to one city?
if you are driving
it is a 7-8 hr trip one way from Norman down I35 to San Antonio--
that takes you though DFW area, Waco, Austin, San Antonio
It is only 3 hours to FTWon the I-35W side
frankly I love SA and Austin area and you probably could do all three cities on your trip but frankly there is enough to see/do in DFW alone w/o driving yourself all the way to SA...

I know that you probably get some Western/cowboy stuff in Norman but FTW has two places that would be worth your time--the Stockyards area north of town and then Sundance Sq in downtown FTW-
there are excellent restaurants--sightseeing opportunities--and a few clubs to dance--although I don't think you will find disco at Billy Bob's in the Stockyards...but there is a rodeo there in Stockyards
Fort Worth Stockyards
Sundance Square Fort Worth - Home

Dallas is more "hip", more urban than FTW which does tend to trade on its historical aspect more
Dallas has wide range of nightclubs/bars--great restaurants--has history with the 6th Floor Museum about Pres. Kennedy's death and a great new aquarium
Dallas Events, Hotels, Meetings, Shopping, Dining, and More! - VisitDallas.com
John Mayer is doing concert at Superpages center in Fair Park on Sept 4
no NASCAR--there is rodeo in Mesquite east of Dallas but there is no show that weekend

there are all kinds of motels so you can find a place that would not be too expensive in either city--
you can also get a tour of the new Cowboy Stadium in Arlington--there is a charge
Tours
part of your days there are blackout dates for tours--or only VIP tours--so check times carefully if you are interested in doing that
there will be high school football games going on in Cowboy Stadium which is really a cheap way to see a game there but it will be very crowded--
one of the top HS football teams in the US will be playing--Trinity Trojans of HEB ISD--state champions 4 times in last 6 years or something like that...

IF YOU CHOOSE TO CONTINUE SOUTH

drive down to Austin and stop at the Dr Pepper Museum and the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame in Waco along the way

you can do 6th St in Austin--big music/bar scene in downtown Austin--get a room close to there so you can just walk back
eat/drink at Scholz Beer Garden there--

spend the night in Austin cause you won't be able to drive and get into San Antonio early

do lot of the sightseeing things--the Alamo and Riverwalk--and then do the bars along the River that night--

you can make the drive back in under 9 hrs probably but just be careful
always lots of traffic on I35 -- especially on weekends--and traffic cops looking for speeders...

Old 08-28-2010, 02:38 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,613,170 times
Also in Austin you can check out the LBJ Library and the Texas State History Museum or the South Congress area maby take a tour of the Capitol.

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

6th street austin, texas

Congress Avenue Bridge

LBJ Library & Museum

http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/

The Texas Capitol Visitors Center

San Antonio has alot of attractions to see like the Alamo or go shopping at Market Square here's some links to San Antonio attractions

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Historic Market Square

La Villita Historic Arts Village, San Antonio, TX - Home (http://lavillita.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage - broken link)

The Official Web site for The San Antonio River Walk!

Tower of the Americas

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,735,735 times
If you choose to go to Austin or San Antonio, if you are driving, go through Ft Worth, not Dallas. The Ft Worth route is much faster, not nearly as much traffic. I do the drive from Oklahoma City all the time, and the Ft Worth route is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas