Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 PM

257 posts, read 609,919 times

Advertisements

Hello, I know its been asked before on the forums but I wanted to ask with what I am looking for vs what some other seek from Texas.

I am going to be graduating high school and want to look into moving somewhere with more friendly folks and a better pace/atmosphere vs the CT suburb I live in now. I won't be moving just yet, but will visit some places I narrow down my options to.

What I am looking for (which is very detailed but just letting everyone know specifics, to help narrow the towns/areas down).....

Maybe movies and shows like Texas Ranger are just playing with my mind, but I am picturing this small Texas town where everyone is very friendly, knows eachother, wears cowboy hats, rodeos and lifted trucks are the thing, etc. I know I am probably just stereo typing Texas, but thats what I am picturing as paradise for me lol. I would hope to find a town away from the growth of the big cities and hopefully a town with a decent elevation to stay cool.

I noticed, obviously, many towns in Texas have high hispanic rates. I do not mind hispanics, but I would like to live in an area that I can get my coffee or tea in the morning speaking to an english speaking person lol, just to get that idea across. I mean I have seen it in movies where the Texas towns have high hispanic population and their culture is pretty interesting and it makes it feel like the real Texas, i dont know how to explain it and probably sounded pretty confusing in this hole post. Sorry to confuse anyone, just not sure how to word it....basically what I mean is up here in CT you see way too many hispanics and ghettos roaming around, that bothers me, but the real Mexican culture doesnt. I basically just dont like low lifes of any kind.

I would imagine the town I want to have around 5,000 people, maybe more or less depending on the town. I would love a picture perfect historic Texas looking town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
If you want to get your coffee or tea in the morning "speaking to an English person" why don't you move to a small village in England! Don't go to the cities, however, because you will encounter all sorts of non-English accents and complexions that might disturb you. Hispanics are all over Texas, so I don't think Texas is the place for you.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Anywhere between Sweetwater and Big Spring will give you what you seek. But I must warn you... Be SURE you want to move to Texas before you come here looking for something. Be sure you can fall back on plan B.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:33 PM

Sweetwater and Big Spring are both terribly ugly places. To be serious, good picturesque Texas towns include Bandera, Kerrville, even San Angelo for a place a bit larger (San Angelo isn't entirely picturesque, but it has a nice river, an old fort - Fort Concho - built during the Indian wars, and some cool old buildings. It also has Angelo State University, a smallish school and a small air force base. However, the surrounding countryside is awfully ugly. Alpine would be another picturesque place that is in truly lovely country, the Davis Mountains; also Fort Davis, for a much smaller place. Stephenville is another good small town with a cowboy feel to it and is also home of a small state school, Tarleton State University, which is affiliated with Texas A&M. In South-Central Texas, Goliad and Gonzales are both picturesque towns with a lot of history.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:42 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Hi there stewart. Any small town outside of Dallas/ForthWorth or in the Pan Handle would be ideal for you. Even though, the small towns outside of San Antonio (Hondo, Del Rio, etc) have a high percentage of Hispanics, but Spanish is not spoken as much anymore as it used to be.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:15 PM

216 posts, read 444,285 times
When I accidentally took a longer route from Marfa, Texas to Fort Worth I drove through a lot of towns like you're describing. From San Angelo through Stephenville all along 67 there seem to be lots of small, historic Texas towns like that.

Speaking of which, if you don't mind me asking, why does someone your age want a sleepy little Texas town? Most kids graduating from high school in these towns are fighting to get out.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Ok thanks for the tips, Ill check those towns out on google, city data, etc. Yeah I will be just visiting the area to check out the towns, not moving yet. I am just posting in numerous states/areas and going to narrow it down to a few areas i like and check them out.

Hispanics are fine and I guess I dont mind them speaking it, I just dont like their culture in the city. But the culture I see (which may just be stereotyping in movies) is sort of like Texas attitude but Mexican style. Hard to explain....

Old 08-27-2010, 04:28 PM

18 posts, read 38,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Ok thanks for the tips, Ill check those towns out on google, city data, etc. Yeah I will be just visiting the area to check out the towns, not moving yet. I am just posting in numerous states/areas and going to narrow it down to a few areas i like and check them out.

Hispanics are fine and I guess I dont mind them speaking it, I just dont like their culture in the city. But the culture I see (which may just be stereotyping in movies) is sort of like Texas attitude but Mexican style. Hard to explain....
You might try NW Florida they have the small town atmosphere you are looking for plus they even have rodeos. Granted it is not Texas but people are pretty friendly and open. The coast is nearby when you want to go salt water fishing or to the beach. You can even spot cowboy boots and hats regularly....It is a good second best to Texas.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 PM

A small Western city that I like a lot (used to live there) is Grand Junction, Colorado.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
A small Western city that I like a lot (used to live there) is Grand Junction, Colorado.
Oh ok, never thought about the west. I guess the south pretty much had me hooked from experiencing their hospitality, but I have never been out west so I guess I cant rule out Colorado lol. Ill look into it though, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas