Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Well, Dallas barely squeaked by with their 2 point win over Miami.

Not that it counts right?
No it doesn't. Preaseason never does. Nevermind that the game was played by people that won't even see the light of the field in the regular season much less have a place on the team by next Tuesday? My God, did some of you folks just start watching the NFL the last 5 years? Preseason means NOTHING. I repeat. NOTHING. If Dallas is still not executing on offense and defense, then you can come back on here and say something. But until then, save it.

Dallas has not game planned ONCE for any preseason game. They were in base formation on defense. No blitzing, no schemes. Just playing base. That is vanilla and that's not gameplanning. The offensive line is having problems due to injuries. But I'm not worried about that. We will get back our players once we get healthy. Houston SAID they would go into the game game planning and that's what they did. They showed many stunts, plays, etc. against Dallas. They opened their playbook. Nothing wrong with that. Means NOTHING for the regular season. Let me give you a prime example.

In 2006, Dallas beat New Orleans 30-7 in the preseason. New Orleans coming off a horrible 3-13 season and Dallas coming off a 9-7 season. Dallas was picked to contend for a playoff spot and be a contender in the NFC East. New Orleans was picked to finish fourth in their division. Dallas and New Orleans played again in the 2006 regular season in December. New Orleans proceeded to humiliate Dallas 42-17 at Texas Stadium. New Orleans won their division as well. What happens in preseason means NOTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 02:50 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No it doesn't. Preaseason never does. Nevermind that the game was played by people that won't even see the light of the field in the regular season much less have a place on the team by next Tuesday? My God, did some of you folks just start watching the NFL the last 5 years? Preseason means NOTHING. I repeat. NOTHING. If Dallas is still not executing on offense and defense, then you can come back on here and say something. But until then, save it.
Preseason means nothing (as far as wins), but it's where you see how your offense fits. Dallas first team has done crap. They aren't meshing. Now, maybe it'll change in the season (it should), but we have to wait and see. You can't honestly say you're pleased with how the Dallas first team played in the preseason. I know that many here in DFW are worried, or at least questioning things. Hell, they were calling for heads after the Houston game.

Quote:
Dallas has not game planned ONCE for any preseason game. They were in base formation on defense. No blitzing, no schemes. Just playing base. That is vanilla and that's not gameplanning. The offensive line is having problems due to injuries. But I'm not worried about that. We will get back our players once we get healthy. Houston SAID they would go into the game game planning and that's what they did. They showed many stunts, plays, etc. against Dallas. They opened their playbook. Nothing wrong with that. Means NOTHING for the regular season. Let me give you a prime example.
Nah. First of all, both Wade and Romo said they were going to gameplan for the Houston game. After, Wade said they didn't. Typical Wade. Second, stunts aren't vanilla, but they most definitely aren't unheard of in the preseason. Also, Houston DID NOT open their playbook against Dallas. That's just false. They played the same way the previous two games (well, just a little against the Saints). The Cowboys game was no different...the starters just played longer.

And you know that Dallas came into the Houston game with something to prove, since many were doubting them from the previous games Don't believe me? Go watch Romo's halftime interview again.

Quote:
In 2006, Dallas beat New Orleans 30-7 in the preseason. New Orleans coming off a horrible 3-13 season and Dallas coming off a 9-7 season. Dallas was picked to contend for a playoff spot and be a contender in the NFC East. New Orleans was picked to finish fourth in their division. Dallas and New Orleans played again in the 2006 regular season in December. New Orleans proceeded to humiliate Dallas 42-17 at Texas Stadium. New Orleans won their division as well. What happens in preseason means NOTHING.
How long did the starters play for, for each team? How did the first teams look? See, it's not who wins, or how much you win by really in the preseason. It's how did the first team look. Did the execute their plays? Did they follow assignments, etc. Dallas has done none of that this preseason. If they can't execute "vanilla" well, be glad they didn't actually try actual plays.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 AM

556 posts, read 1,563,501 times
DFW news radio refers to the region as Loserville.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:11 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Preseason means nothing (as far as wins), but it's where you see how your offense fits. Dallas first team has done crap. They aren't meshing. Now, maybe it'll change in the season (it should), but we have to wait and see. You can't honestly say you're pleased with how the Dallas first team played in the preseason. I know that many here in DFW are worried, or at least questioning things. Hell, they were calling for heads after the Houston game.
No it doesn't. People overrate that and go by that because the media says so. When Dallas won superbowls, they never used the preseason or the 3rd preseason game to see where their offense fits. It was ALWAYS to evaluate who will be placed where and who would make the team. I am not pleased with how they played. But I don't care because it is the preseason? And who was calling for their heads? Please tell me you didn't listen to Gallowaste on 103.3. He as well as the entire staff including the DMN is always negative.

Quote:
Nah. First of all, both Wade and Romo said they were going to gameplan for the Houston game. After, Wade said they didn't. Typical Wade. Second, stunts aren't vanilla, but they most definitely aren't unheard of in the preseason. Also, Houston DID NOT open their playbook against Dallas. That's just false. They played the same way the previous two games (well, just a little against the Saints). The Cowboys game was no different...the starters just played longer.
Houston did open their playbook against Dallas. Especially running the slant to leave Jones wide open in the back of the end zone against a base defense. You opened your book. Nothing wrong with that. But it was plain as day. Kubiak said they would gameplan. It is common knowledge throughout the Dallas message boards, and media members that we did not gameplan. We just tried to end the longest training camp out of any team in the league. And I know stunts aren't vanilla. That's what Houston ran. Which means they came all out and opened their playbook a bit. Dallas ran basic plays all game long. Basically, WE DID NOT CARE FOR THAT GAME. Houston did because of how embarrassed they were in the New Orleans game.

Quote:
And you know that Dallas came into the Houston game with something to prove, since many were doubting them from the previous games Don't believe me? Go watch Romo's halftime interview again.
No we didn't. Romo may have been pissed. But what was Dallas going to prove? Why did we need to prove it? We had nothing to prove. You prove your point in the regular season. Not some meaningless 3rd (4th for us) preseason game.

Quote:
How long did the starters play for, for each team? How did the first teams look? See, it's not who wins, or how much you win by really in the preseason. It's how did the first team look. Did the execute their plays? Did they follow assignments, etc. Dallas has done none of that this preseason. If they can't execute "vanilla" well, be glad they didn't actually try actual plays.
The entire half for both teams. you look good if you win 30-7, period. We gameplanned against New Orleans as well running all types of routes, slants, outs, and more. We blitzed, ran different schemes and all against New Orleans. Anything else?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No it doesn't. People overrate that and go by that because the media says so. When Dallas won superbowls, they never used the preseason or the 3rd preseason game to see where their offense fits. It was ALWAYS to evaluate who will be placed where and who would make the team. I am not pleased with how they played. But I don't care because it is the preseason? And who was calling for their heads? Please tell me you didn't listen to Gallowaste on 103.3. He as well as the entire staff including the DMN is always negative.
You should care, because your team couldn't even execute vanilla properly. The Texans sounded just like The Cowboys this preseason back in 2005. They couldn't execute vanilla (played horrible on offense and defense, missed assignments, horrible O-Line, etc.). They went 2-14. And no, I was listening to 105.3 the Fan (which is much better than ESPN 103.3).

Quote:
Houston did open their playbook against Dallas. Especially running the slant to leave Jones wide open in the back of the end zone against a base defense. You opened your book. Nothing wrong with that. But it was plain as day. Kubiak said they would gameplan. It is common knowledge throughout the Dallas message boards, and media members that we did not gameplan. We just tried to end the longest training camp out of any team in the league. And I know stunts aren't vanilla. That's what Houston ran. Which means they came all out and opened their playbook a bit. Dallas ran basic plays all game long. Basically, WE DID NOT CARE FOR THAT GAME. Houston did because of how embarrassed they were in the New Orleans game.
I'm trying to tell you, Houston DID NOT open up their playbook against Dallas. They played no different against Arizona and early into the Saints game. Kubiak said they would gameplan, as did Wade. Wade just denied it when they got their asses handed to them. Go back and re-read the pregame quotes. Those Dallas Cowboys message boards is actually where I read it, because I didn't know Wade said that either. Yes, stunts aren't vanilla, but they definitely aren't unheard of in the preseason. They aren't complex. Dallas ran basically plays and couldn't do a damn thing running them. What makes you think they could have ran more complex plays?

And do you honestly think the Cowboys didn't care for that game? Seriously? They came in with something to prove, because there were so many doubters from the previous preseason games. The Cowboys first team only had one TD, and that came from a 15-yard drive. The Cowboys first team offense has been horrible this preseason, so there is cause for concern. It's a reason why Romo was so pissed during the game (remember the Felix Jones "hand-off"?), and during the halftime interview. It seems only a few fans believe they didn't care.

Quote:
No we didn't. Romo may have been pissed. But what was Dallas going to prove? Why did we need to prove it? We had nothing to prove. You prove your point in the regular season. Not some meaningless 3rd (4th for us) preseason game.
Seriously man? Dallas came into that game wanting to prove the doubters wrong. It's why Wade said before the game that they were going to gameplan for it. And the point they wanted to prove was that the first team offense was going to be able to execute plays, unlike the previous three games.

But in your opinion, why didn't you have anything to prove? Especially after the first team looked horrible the weeks before the game. Your offense doesn't have anything to prove to the fans, media, THEMSELVES, that they are for real? They've looked like crap this preseason, unfortunately for Cowboys fans. It's apparent in many Cowboy message boards that most fans feel the same way and are not sold on the offense (the defense has been alright).

Quote:
The entire half for both teams. you look good if you win 30-7, period. We gameplanned against New Orleans as well running all types of routes, slants, outs, and more. We blitzed, ran different schemes and all against New Orleans. Anything else?
Wasn't this Romo's first game as a starter? You don't think that played into it?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I can hardly believe how worked up people get over the Cowboys. But I think the preseason is worth something, if only to show how well the first team plays together. They aren't doing terribly well. As for injuries, as some players recover and come back, others are injured and leave. It's an element of chance which cannot be predicted.

I think they probably "care", if only for career reasons. I don't care very much, but I'm mildly interested. I simply like good competitive football, whoever is playing. The terrible commercials that Jerry and Troy are in don't help, especially that latest travesty for Papa John's, the "official pizza of the Dallas Cowboys". I'm sure all the people in Arlington who had to give up their homes for the new stadium are tickled pink.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:18 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Why are they called the "American" team? Because they're in "Don't Mess With..." Texas?

Please. I don't consider any one team to define what America is. They are each unique and individual teams that represent their respective cities/regions.

No Tony Homo and the Cowboys won't make it to the Super Bowl.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Baby steps, folks. They just got their first post-season win in 13 yrs last season.

I do agree with other comments about the state of football today. Long gone are the days of Coach Landry and Lombardi and other great coaches. When those guys spoke, the players listened. They were in control and not the players.

Today, the coaches take a back seat to multi-million dollar misfits who are coddled by owners who don't want to hurt their feelings.

Players today have zero loyalty to the fans. For a few dollars more they're off and running to another team. Again, that wasn't the case back in the Lombardi - Landry days.

And that's why I won't spend one red cent on any football merchandise, nor would I spend one penny to go see a game. I'm not contributing to the outlandish salaries these tattooed morons are being paid today.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Baby steps, folks. They just got their first post-season win in 13 yrs last season.

I do agree with other comments about the state of football today. Long gone are the days of Coach Landry and Lombardi and other great coaches. When those guys spoke, the players listened. They were in control and not the players.

Today, the coaches take a back seat to multi-million dollar misfits who are coddled by owners who don't want to hurt their feelings.

Players today have zero loyalty to the fans. For a few dollars more they're off and running to another team. Again, that wasn't the case back in the Lombardi - Landry days.

And that's why I won't spend one red cent on any football merchandise, nor would I spend one penny to go see a game. I'm not contributing to the outlandish salaries these tattooed morons are being paid today.
Way to go!! I couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks for this post!

I might add Walter Peyton (Sweetness) could have played for any team he chose, but out of loyalty to the Bears and their fans stayed with them, even at the expense of not being able to rack up more impressive stats. People appreciated players like him. These players now days just look out for #1. Yes, it sucks and sure it affects the fan loyalty base unless you are the sort who will just whoop and holler for anyone to comes down the pike. I know it has certainly dampen my enthusiasm to the point of...who cares?

You know, I would really like to be able to enjoy football again like I use to, but I know that will never happen. I remember watching some of these old players like Sonny Jurgensen, Johnny (U) Unitas , Roger (the dodger) Staubach (don't leave that stadium at the 2 minute whistle just because the Cowboys were behind 10 or 14 points, LOL, you just don't know what you might miss out on!), Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary, Randy White, Steve Young and Jerry Rice, well gosh, the list just goes on and on. But these guys loved the game and they appreciated their fans and their fans loved them and it was the glory days! And I miss them!

Last edited by lonestar2007; 09-05-2010 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Cowboys will NOT make the SB.

Probably have an 8-8 season. They have a real tough schedule.

O-line is weaker than last year and old. Running game is very suspect as Marion Barber has lost a step (or 2, maybe 3). Romo is good but can revert back to his old turnover self if the pressure gets intense and the 2 above facets of the game must be working to keep the pressure off him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas