Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
NO, he's not kidding! A mug of hot Dr. P with a lemon slice floating in it .....great bedtime treat.
I like to put a slice of an orange in it. It's a great drink for fall and winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
ARRRRRG!

I am going to bring along a bag of fritoes, Wolf brand chili, and cheddar cheese and make my own.

That is exactly how I fix Frito pie.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:30 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
NO, he's not kidding! A mug of hot Dr. P with a lemon slice floating in it .....great bedtime treat.
OMG yes! I recall upon first moving to Texas a friend teaching me about hot Dr Pepper and lemon. He sometimes used lime in it too. I LOVE hot Dr Pepper and Frito Pie! Hell, I LOVE Texas!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I caught one of the Frito-Lay assortment bags of chips on sale just as school started. I pulled out all the little bags of Fritos and set aside for Frito pie! Then we had a cool snap come through a few days after that and I bought a big bag of the original size Fritos since the few small bags I have are not going far!

I planned to make Frito pie the next day, but didn't get around to it, but I'll be making it in a day or two. Homemade chili all the way! I'm with Cathy on that canned chili....ugh, can't even get past the smell! I remember eating Wolf brand chili upon occasion as a kid and even then the fat and gristle it contained was gagging. But the stuff they put in that can now is simply not edible. Come on Reb, break down and make yourself some good chili. I promise you, you will not touch Wolf brand or any other canned chili for that matter.

I'm Texan and I make my chili with and without beans. If I'm going to be using the chili for enchildas, Frito pie, etc. I won't put any beans in it. If I'm just going to eat it in a bowl with saltine crackers or tortilla chips, then sometimes I make it w/o beans and sometimes with some pinto beans added. I guess it just depends on my mood at the time and if I have any cooked red beans on hand. I don't always eat chili the same way either. Sometimes I might chop up some onions and add to the bowl and top it with some grated cheese. Other times, I'll eat my onions on the side along with the crackers and maybe I'll put some cheese on top of my chili or maybe I won't. LOL, got to mix it up a little, don't want to get in a rut! But one thing you can take to the bank, it's going to be homemade, none of that canned crap!

I kinds remember something about hot Dr. Pepper now that you've brought it up, but I have never had any.
Ok...Ok, girls, gimme a bit of a break and cut me some slack here, dad gummit! LOL

I am not saying I prefer canned chili over homemade. Cos I don't. But the qualifier is IF and only if, the homemade chili is Texas born and Texas bred. Which translates into that all those extra items (especially beans) do not belong in true Texas Free-Toe pie! Nor even in chili itself.

And Wolf brand chili fits the bill very nicely to go with frito-pie!

Ketabcha agrees with me, darn-it!

Hey, y'all gotta admit, that canned chili ain't NEARLY so much a monumental violation of Texas protocol as is canned black-eyed peas.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Randy, Randy........LOL!! What's the difference between canned chili and canned blackeyed peas? They're both nasty!!

My stomach turns over at Lonestar's mention of the fat and gristle in Wolf/canned chili. Inedible just about describes it.

Ok, if y'all come visit, we can have REAL Texas chili (no beans) over REAL Fritos. I'll even tone it down so y'all don't get burned out!

We have to serve REAL Texas beer with it, too.....and you know what that is...hehehehehehehehe!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Hot Dr. Pepper is new to me, but I'm not a native. I garnish my chilli w onions and cheese. As for beans...it depends how many people I will be feeding

Old 09-06-2010, 01:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Sorry, y'all, but I like Dr Pepper COLD. Hot...blecchh. And I am a native. I hope this doesn't mean I lose my membership credentials.

I think Stagg's canned chili is actually good, too. That should do it.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
I remember when I was a little kid growing up in Dallas, Dr Pepper would have commercials in the winter advertising hot Dr Pepper. It showed this beautiful roaring fire in a fireplace with a cup of steaming hot DP with a lemon slice in it, sitting on a table. I have to admit I've never tried it though. My family was a Coke family, so I didn't even start liking DP until I was in high school and I had a boyfriend that was as DP drinker. By then "hot" was not something I ever thought of.

Does anyone remember putting peanuts in your Dr Pepper? Seems like I remember ads for that as well. I never tried that either, but I knew tons of people who did.

As for the Frito Pie, wow I love that stuff. I was actually at an event somewhere here in OK about a year or so ago, and saw it being served in the Frito bag. It was a time warp (which is how a lot of things are here).

I know real Texas chili is not suppose to have tomatoes, and I've had it that was wonderful, but I've never been able to make it. I can make some really good chili with tomatoes and beans, but I've never been able to make the really good kind without using tomatoes. As for the Wolf Brand, all I can say is GROSS!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Does anyone remember putting peanuts in your Dr Pepper? Seems like I remember ads for that as well. I never tried that either, but I knew tons of people who did.

Yeeeeeesssss. We put peanuts in both Coke and DP.....one of my favorites!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,732 times
Remembering peanuts in coke? Hmmmm......haven't seen anyone do that since.......well, LAST NIGHT as a matter of fact!! But the original treat was, of course, peanuts in an big RC Cola!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas