Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM

220 posts, read 454,006 times

Advertisements

While Texas is doing decent economically right now things in the country could worsen in the future. So what Texas made/based products, services, or strategies do yall use to support our own economy.

Here are some of the things I buy or do.

Shiner Bock
Tito's Vodka
Igloo icechest
Gearbox Software video games
I buy shirts from Shirt.woot.com (now owned by amazon, but still has office in Carrollton)
Most of my vacationing is one in the state.

When I eat out I usually eat at local restaurants instead of national chains.

Shop for my groceries at HEB and sporting goods and clothes at Academy instead of Walmart.

When I go to the movies I wait till two weeks after a movie is released. Opening weeks the studios get about 90% of ticket sales, later weeks they get much less. I'd rather the theater get a some money instead of hollywood, also you wont deal with the dumb crowds and if the movie sucks you will have heard about that by then.

I'm looking to buy an access cab Toyota Tacoma. Double cabs are made in Mexico but the single cab and access cab versions are made in San Antonio.

If I still lived in their area I would have Grande for Cable and Internet instead of Time Warner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
I had Grande Communications for TV cable and Internet, too, and I really liked them. I hated to give it up when I moved!

Some products that started out in Texas are no longer made in Texas....Ro-Tel tomatoes and Pace Picante Sauce. I never liked Pace that much, but I used to use Ro-Tel all of the time. I don't know what they did, but Ro-Tel sure doesn't taste like it once did!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Food products -- free range eggs from Texas chickens (HEB has them), local honey, anything I see that's Texas or local at the grocery.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:27 PM

611 posts, read 2,233,791 times
Shiner

Dr. Pepper

Texas Wines

Academy

SBC/ATT TV and DSL

Texas produce

Texas based restaurants

Igloo

United Food Stores, HEB, (Randalls and Tom Thumb when they were Texas Based)

Diamond Shamrock Valero

7-11

Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Academy for sporting goods and guns.

Shiner Bock beer.

Dr Pepper soft drinks.

Various local products when I find them.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 PM

220 posts, read 454,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
Texas Wines
What are some good Texas wines to try out? Looking for red wines that arent too sweet.

For Christmas I'll be making some of my friends some Vodka Tonic kits, a couple of glasses, Tito's, Schweppes Tonic water, and limes. A couple of my friends dont like vodka though so I was going to get them some bottles of wine. IMO alcohol beats the hell out of cheap chinese trinkets for Christmas.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 PM

611 posts, read 2,233,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John26 View Post
What are some good Texas wines to try out? Looking for red wines that arent too sweet.

For Christmas I'll be making some of my friends some Vodka Tonic kits, a couple of glasses, Tito's, Schweppes Tonic water, and limes. A couple of my friends dont like vodka though so I was going to get them some bottles of wine. IMO alcohol beats the hell out of cheap chinese trinkets for Christmas.
LLano Cab/Shiraz and the LLano Cellar Reserve Cab and Merlot

Flat Creek makes good wines pretty much across the board

Becker Vineyards Cab Franc

Inwood Estates Tempranillo

Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 AM

867 posts, read 2,976,345 times
Texas-based companies I support,

Southwest Airlines

both Intel & AMD have a presence in Austin

Texas Instruments - TI products are ubiquitous in most modern consumer electronics.

USAA

Whataburger

Greyhound (yes, the bus line)

HEB

Luby's/Fuddrucker's

Schlotzsky's

Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 AM

398 posts, read 1,416,225 times
Big Red sodas
Lone Star beer
Menchaca seasonings

just to add to the list.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 PM

16 posts, read 28,525 times
I give a second vote for Inwood Estates Tempranillo. Actually, any of their reds are fantastic, and are not sweet.

You can find Inwood wines at Central Markets and Whole Foods.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas