Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SMACKDOWN...Which one of the two?
Chili without beans 20 57.14%
Chili with beans 12 34.29%
Catfish fried 25 71.43%
Catfish baked/steamed 4 11.43%
Okra fried 24 68.57%
Okra boiled/stewed 3 8.57%
Cornbread with sugar 13 37.14%
Cornbread without sugar 13 37.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

This settles the matter:

The Official State Food Of Texas - Chili

If You Know Beans About Chili,
You Know That Chili Has No Beans

by Ken Finlay, singer, songwriter,
and owner of Cheatham Street Warehouse
(a music hall in San Marcos), written in 1976.

You burn some mesquite
And when the coals get hot
You bunk up some meat
And you throw it on a pot.
While some chile pods and garlic
And comino and stuff
Then you add a little salt
Till there's just enough
You can throw in some onions
To make it smell good
You can even add tomatoes
If you feel like you should
But if you know beans about chili
You know that chili has no beans

If you know beans about chili
You know it didn't come from Mexico
Chili was God's gift to Texas
(Or maybe it came from down below)
And chili doesn't go with macaroni
And dammed Yankee's don't go with chili queens;
And if you know beans about chili
You know that chili has no beans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Hmmmm. I see at this point in time that "with beans" and "with sugar" have a slight edge in the poll.

I call foul, dadgummit! I suspect either the ballot is being stuffed by non-Texans, or else some native friends of mine are doing it to intentionally irritate me (hear me, Cathy and Sandstorm? ).

Hey, I am not a sore loser, I promise!

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-12-2010 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
But Randy, we can't vote more than once........!

Hey, there's more than one way to skin a cat, my dear Texas bro...!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,944 times
Wow. Who knew there were so many chili with bean lovers amongst us? Does this mean I can start cooking my chili in broad daylight with the blinds open? I still don't know if I'll ever be able to pick up a can of Wolf brand with beans at the supermarket without looking over my shoulder to make sure no one I know is watching.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:02 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hmmmm. I see at this point in time that "with beans" and "with sugar" have a slight edge in the poll.
Chili without beans is only good for Chili Dogs

The best kind of beans for chili is a combination of kidney beans & black beans. Maybe a few pintos just for old times sake. Without beans the kids wouldn't have as much fun playing "Pull My Finger" later that evening.

I've gotten where I like Black Beans now with even my Mexican Food.

Please note, all beans must be produced by "Ranch" in Ft Worth.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

The best kind of beans for chili is a combination of kidney beans & black beans. Maybe a few pintos just for old times sake. Without beans the kids wouldn't have as much fun playing "Pull My Finger" later that evening.

LOL!!

I use either pinto or black...and I've always liked black beans! I learned to like them in interior Mexico, and have eaten them ever since.

But you also know what an independent lot we natives are....NOBODY is going to tell me how to fix MY chili, MY cornbread, MY hot salsa, etc. etc. etc.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:08 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

There's another thread going here at the moment about what Texas products you buy to support the Texas economy. I was going to say Ranch Style Beans, but I had heard ConAgra had bought them out. Seems like I heard right. This is sad.

ConAgra to close iconic Ranch Style Beans plant | TradingMarkets.com (http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2675996/ - broken link)

Old 09-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
There's another thread going here at the moment about what Texas products you buy to support the Texas economy. I was going to say Ranch Style Beans, but I had heard ConAgra had bought them out. Seems like I heard right. This is sad.

ConAgra to close iconic Ranch Style Beans plant | TradingMarkets.com (http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2675996/ - broken link)
AWWWWWWW. That IS sad.

Remember when Ro-tel used to be so good? Con-Agra owns them now, too, and they sure don't taste like they once did.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:48 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post

As an old Ft Worth boy, that breaks my heart. We grew up on that fine taste of Ranch Style Beans and driving by their old plant near downtown Ft Worth.

That's as bad as when that Mexican company bought Mrs Bairds Bread back 10 years ago or so. I felt like Mrs. Baird was no longer faithful to me and I've not been able to buy much of their bread since then.

Ma Baird sold out. Ranch Style Aint.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Like Cathy on the Ro-tel, I think the taste has changed. I also think Mrs Bairds has gone downhill since the Mexicans bought it. Mrs. Bairds used to be the only bread I'd buy. Now I rarely get it.

I remember as a kid making the Chef Boyardee pizza from the mix. I haven't had it in years, but I've heard that the sauce is terrible now.

I didn't know this about Wolf brand chili (Wolf Brand Chili, is now made by ConAgra in Trenton, Mo.) until I saw it in this article.

Yep, it's a darn shame. The Ranch Style Bean sign was a landmark in Fort Worth for what seems like forever. Darn shame.

Dang, I hope Blue Bell doesn't sell out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas