U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 14,164 times

Advertisements

me and my husband currently live in northeast Arkansas. I have lived here my whole life and visited southern texas when i was younger, he has visited a few areas in Texas. We are looking for a good sized town to work in that has jobs available. We prefer to live in the country, smallish town near a bigger town would be great. We won't mind driving 20 minutes to go to work, that's about how long we have to drive to go to work/town now.
we plan on starting a family soon so good schools, low crime, good healthcare are very important to us.
We have pets and would like to eventually move our horses down with us so areas with decent priced real estate would be a plus. Right now the main priority is finding jobs there. Farming jobs would be great, that's our background.
I like the sound of Mt Pleasant but we'd rather live in a smaller town near there, so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:47 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,884 times
Anything outside Tyler or Longview might be an option....Lindale is nice and growing, Mineola, Whitehouse, Bullard, Van, Kilgore, Gladewater, Jacksonville.... In that area, you have a lot of options plus you're not far from Dallas or Shreveport. Probably the best thing for you to do would be to take a trip and just drive around among the towns in that area. You'll find one that suits you perfectly! (I was born and raised in East Texas, just outside Tyler, and have such an affinity for the area!!)

Old 10-07-2010, 02:07 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,588,267 times
By far the best heathcare is in Tyler, with Longview not too far behind, anymore. Towns of Lindale, Whitehouse, Bullard. Jobs are scarce, Longview could be slightly better for jobs. Good Luck

Old 10-07-2010, 03:52 PM

316 posts, read 699,385 times
Best towns in East texas:

I think Vidor might be a good option for you - Progressive, Diverse, Vibrant, Highly educated, Great Schools and plenty of entertainment options - Good Luck!!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:10 PM

714 posts, read 2,554,404 times
I agree with Tyler and Longview. There are a lot of nice small towns around those, but I don't know how the job situation is in either.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Cant go wrong with The Rose City or Longview..

Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
Lake livingston area north of houston maybe perfect for you. Its a easy drive to Houston. No medical center in Texas compares to the Texas medical center there which is more like a city unto itself really.Livington is situated in the piney woods of east texas with lots of country living.Lots of other small towns between Houston and there really.You might like west of Houston if you want more open country but your getting out of the woods .

Old 10-08-2010, 05:32 AM

5,090 posts, read 9,846,284 times
The combination of East Texas AND Good Schools is a rough mix.

Some districts that hit high on TEA standards include Fruitvale and New Diana.

Since Texas is near the bottom education-wise, you have to careful to choose near the top ratings within Texas just to break-even. If you do not want to dig through the raw numbers on the TEA site, schooldigger.com will give you a quick overview. Stay in the "5" or "4" (of 5, by the school digger rating system) and you should be okay, however, schooldigger partly goes by demographics, and lags a year on test scores. For example -- Sort of odd that Fruitvale is now Top Rated by TEA, and only draws "1" or "2" by schooldigger.

Look at the numbers for the whole district -- not just the elementary. The standards are set low enough for the elementary level by the TEA that part of a district may look ok, but by Jr. High and High School level and local (meth, football-first) issues that infest the area come into play and it is often another matter.

When you have it narrowed down, write back and we can open up the TEA real numbers and you can see some of the internals.

Cautionary note on Real Estate folks and Texas schools . . . when they say "good schools," smile and say "oh that's great," but go check the reality for yourself.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 14,164 times
How is crime and schools in Hallsville? I know the town itself is smaller but close to Longview. We may even end up getting a travel trailer and just coming down to live in an RV park to find work then we can save a bit of money and eventually rent a place or work on buying a place. My husband can do just about any type of work and I grew up on a 4 broiler house poultry farm and I'm not a stranger to farm work. I'm majoring in business, administrative services but I'd rather do something like teaching, Psychology, or Graphic design.
School isn't a huge issue because we don't have kids yet, but if we plan on settling and staying in texas long term I want to be sure my kids have a chance at a good education. I think small schools are better. I went to a small school with a class size of 25 students per grade and while the education may have been second rate compared to bigger schools, it was a safe environment where the teachers were able to really get to know their students. Shootings, bomb threats,etc were unheard of for us and there was never any problems with drugs on campus.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,264,908 times
the crime in Hallsville is low LOW LOW..you can actually consider it a suburb of Longview..and it's right in between Longview and Marshall..so Hallsville probably would be your best bet..it's small...laid back..real LAID BACK..alot of people who live in Hallsville work in Longview or Marshall anyway..so I would say Hallsville or even Kilgore(Kilgore is a tad bit bigger so maybe you don't want to move there) but small town near Longview or Tyler would be your best bet..the best area of East Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or