Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,849,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifornicateTexas View Post
I am moving to Texas (Dallas or Austin) late this year/early next year to look for a job. I have visited Texas before but surprisingly did not meet too many native Texas girls. I did meet a lot of other tourists (females) and transplants from all over the country though, probably because I went to all the tourist bars.

Just wanted everyone's opinion on the definition of a "Texas Girl". Outside of being born and raised in Texas, are there personality traits, common values/interests or a physical description that would constitute someone calling themselves a "Texas girl"?
Ever seen the movie True Stories?

Those are stereotypical Dallas, Texas women & people.

The big hair, heavy accents, excessive makeup, suburban living, "Good ole Boy" mentality, etc.

Watch this:

Typical Dallas in the 1980's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fAr28NA9Uc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9a1J...eature=related

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-08-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,588,876 times
^^^The Dallas I live in isnt like that at all.

Maybe in the 80's it was. I dont know much about what Dallas was like then, but now I dont think so at all.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,507,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifornicateTexas View Post
I am moving to Texas (Dallas or Austin) late this year/early next year to look for a job. I have visited Texas before but surprisingly did not meet too many native Texas girls. I did meet a lot of other tourists (females) and transplants from all over the country though, probably because I went to all the tourist bars.

Just wanted everyone's opinion on the definition of a "Texas Girl". Outside of being born and raised in Texas, are there personality traits, common values/interests or a physical description that would constitute someone calling themselves a "Texas girl"?
Interesting thread topic...IF it is on the level. Not trying to be negative or too presuming, but the screen name (Californicate Texas) sets off [TILT] on the pinball machine of posting...

More on that in a few though. For the moment, as to the original question?

To give a brief opinion, I concur with what a lot of my fellow Texans say. That is, a "Texas Girl" is a female who fits the following criteria:

1. Has been born and raised in Texas and proudly identifies herself as a Texan, or
(a). Moved to Texas, loves it, doesn't want to change it, and proudly adopts it as her home. And says so.

2. Has the instinctive, graceful, good-manners, politeness, and charm, of a Southern Belle, combined with the fiesty, independent, character of the Western frontier pioneer woman. These qualities fused with their grandmothers (direct or ancestral) when they came to Texas, and were passed down thru the generations. A native Texas Girl comes by what they are honestly, that's for sure! And a transplanted Texas Girl appreciates and adopts them!

3. Texas men wouldn't trade them for all the cotton, cattle, and oil in the state!

Anyway -- just to be a little "stereotypical" in my own turn -- for some reason, when I conjure up the image of a prototypical "Texas Girl"? I think of those small town restaurants where the waitress had/has "big hair" She calls everyone "hon" or "sweetheart", and doesn't mind a little casual flirting around...within limits. And she doesn't run screaming "sexual harrassement" when she is referred to as "hon" herself. It is just friendly and natural. If anybody got out of line with her, she wouldn't even need the "regulars" to defend her honor. She could do it herself and in unmistakeable ways!

Today, that woman's daughter might be the one working at a Pizza Hut
or some such to get thru college. But she inherited her family line of the basic characteristics of a Texas Girl. Southern manners. Western spirit. Fads and music might change, but she is just a modern day version of her great-grandmother.

NOW then, I just gotta say this. I am a bit suspicious as to whether or not this thread is just cheap "trollling". Californicate? CalifornicateTexas...?

Here is an earlier thread which involved the definition of the term...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...something.html

Not that it really took a lot of extraordinary powers on my part to get suspicious right off the bat. I imagine many others did too...and long before I did.

So, bottom line? CalifornicateTexas? Why that screen name? Why nothing of your own information? Figure it might fly over our heads?

Old 10-08-2010, 05:30 PM

3,308 posts, read 5,731,480 times
I like momof2dfw's explanation. I will add to it the traits of being independent and strong minded. I've dated a few guys not from Texas and these are the two most commonly used adjectives they mention. Some like it, some don't. I, personally don't care if they do or not. I have no respect for a woman who cannot stand up for herself, for her beliefs. Other than that, I'd say it's pretty self-explanatory, a girl born and bred in Texas. Don't worry, you'll recognize a Texas gal one when you meet the real deal. She's one no one will be able to californicate!

Yikes! Yes, where have all the Texans gone?! Sometimes I l think we are becoming as extinct as the horny toad!

Old 10-08-2010, 05:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,849,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
^^^The Dallas I live in isnt like that at all.

Maybe in the 80's it was. I dont know much about what Dallas was like then, but now I dont think so at all.
I gauran-damn-tee you that's exactly what Dallas was like in the 1980's.

Watch the whole movie sometime, you could probably even pick the DVD up in the bargain bin at Wally World.

Part of it was shot inside Northpark Mall when they had "Virgil's" annual fashion show. The Varicorp company indirectly references Texas Instruments & Dallas' booming (at the time) high tech businesses.

True Stories (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-08-2010 at 05:49 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 05:47 PM

795 posts, read 1,575,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Interesting thread topic...IF it is on the level. Not trying to be negative or too presuming, but the screen name (Californicate Texas) sets off [TILT] on the pinball machine of posting...

To give a brief opinion, I concur with what a lot of my fellow Texans say. That is, a "Texas Girl" is a female who fits the following criteria:

1. Has been born and raised in Texas and proudly identifies herself as a Texan, or
(a). Moved to Texas, loves it, doesn't want to change it, and proudly adopts it as her home. And says so.

2. Has the instinctive, graceful, good-manners, politeness, and charm, of a Southern Belle, combined with the fiesty, independent, character of the Western frontier pioneer woman. These qualities fused with their grandmothers (direct or ancestral) when they came to Texas, and were passed down thru the generations. A native Texas Girl comes by what they are honestly, that's for sure! And a transplanted Texas Girl appreciates and adopts them!

3. Texas men wouldn't trade them for all the cotton, cattle, and oil in the state!
Great post. You hit the nail right on the head.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,588,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I gauran-damn-tee you that's exactly what Dallas was like in the 1980's.

Watch the whole movie sometime, you could probably even pick the DVD up in the bargain bin at Wally World.

Part of it was shot inside Northpark Mall when they had "Virgil's" annual fashion show. The Varicorp company indirectly references Texas Instruments & Dallas' booming (at the time) high tech businesses.

True Stories (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Places do change. I dont doubt Dallas may have been like that. I didnt live here in the 80's and I was only born in 81 so I dont know for sure.

However Dallas certainly doesnt seem a thing like that now. Im sure elements of it may still be around, but I have yet to come across it.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,976,724 times
Big boobs and easy.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,113,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
^^ This.

I'm a native Texas Girl, born and bred. We are best described as a mix of everything. You can't try to peg us as a certain type or fit us into a neat little box. We are as different from one to the next as much as Texas itself is vastly different from one end of the state to the other. One characteristic that is pretty much a common among most Texans (male and female), we are resourceful. There is never a challange to big for us to face, handle, confront and deal with. We love family, our country and our state and love to have a good time. We don't really care where someone is from as long as they are honest, hardworking, friendly , and can handle just about anything. We might complain but it is usually all in good spirits and in the spirit of looking for a solution. As such, we don't like to hang around constant complainers. Does not matter where one is from...... we are here together to make the best of it.

And yes, us natives are few and far between.
My goodness...describes a Texas girl to a tee

Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 PM

66 posts, read 161,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Anyway -- just to be a little "stereotypical" in my own turn -- for some reason, when I conjure up the image of a prototypical "Texas Girl"? I think of those small town restaurants where the waitress had/has "big hair" She calls everyone "hon" or "sweetheart", and doesn't mind a little casual flirting around...within limits. And she doesn't run screaming "sexual harrassement" when she is referred to as "hon" herself. It is just friendly and natural. If anybody got out of line with her, she wouldn't even need the "regulars" to defend her honor. She could do it herself and in unmistakeable ways!

Today, that woman's daughter might be the one working at a Pizza Hut
or some such to get thru college. But she inherited her family line of the basic characteristics of a Texas Girl. Southern manners. Western spirit. Fads and music might change, but she is just a modern day version of her great-grandmother.

NOW then, I just gotta say this. I am a bit suspicious as to whether or not this thread is just cheap "trollling". Californicate? CalifornicateTexas...?

Here is an earlier thread which involved the definition of the term...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...something.html

Not that it really took a lot of extraordinary powers on my part to get suspicious right off the bat. I imagine many others did too...and long before I did.

So, bottom line? CalifornicateTexas? Why that screen name? Why nothing of your own information? Figure it might fly over our heads?
I didn't see any girls with big hair or any other stereotypes as some have stated when I was in TX ( I didn't even know big hair was a stereotype for texas girls). The only stereotype I had before visiting Texas was Texas being conservative compared to California.

I was just curious, if a girl called here self a "Texas girl" while in the state of Texas; I just wanted to know if that had any other connotations. I could understand if someone was in New York and proclaimed "I'm a Texas girl" etc. What you described in (2) does answer my question I posed in the OP. Thanks

As far as the nickname, its just a nickname. Just a play on words that is all. More of an homage to all the Californians moving to TX just trying to make a living for themselves. You can interpret it any way you like though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas