Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:35 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,772 times

Advertisements

blueskies49>>>I apologize in advance for quoting everyone piecemeal like this. Yes, CA is a state mostly made up of people from all over the country but Texas, for the most part, is not. Texas was settled by Southerners and of course those of Mexican heritage who were already here plus the small settlements of Czechs and Germans in Central Texas. But this happened a long time ago, not recently. But this new influx of people from everywhere else much different than Texas can change the "flavor" of the state.

ladysrodgers>>>>following that train of thought, why doesn't Texas give the land back to the Mexicans, and Indians they stole it from? Come on, this is the 21st century!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 05:51 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
lionking>>>Bu I want to say I spent time in Texas lately and love it.I talked to a few Texans which are nice people and a few of them told me they are not too happy with Californians moving there,specially Austin.It has driven up values to where some Austin natives can't afford it anymore.

Further more politically wise I would like to remind Californians that moving to Texas they should consider themselves Texans and not Californians in Texas.I think much of the political mumbo jumbo that Californians supported in California could turn Texas into another California.The same could be said about my home state Florida.

So respectfully agreeing with some Texans I spoke with,that government regulation,taxes and firearm legislation is not wanted by most Texans.Or it will turn into another California.

Me>>I just wanted to say, that although I can somewhat relate to your post above, as natives of another state who relocate to Texas, it is ludicrous to expect those people to just give up their roots.

I can also say as a California native, most states have a pretty jaded view of us. Just like Texas, California is a huge state full of "many" different types of people. In fact, until recently, most Californians moved there from another state.

We may move to Texas, but there is no reason to give up, or be ashamed of our heritage. That's just nuts and small minded, IMO.
I for one would like to see what would happen to you folks in texas if we took away the californians. You would not be able to move anywhere else because its the californians that keep your realestate market competitive with the rest of the USA. As it is, Texans rareley ever move to other states because they cannot afford to sell there home for 159,000 and expect to move to other states. Im from Washington, and I sold my home to a californian who paid cash....no inspection. That state has provided the bull market for the rest of the country. I now live in Colorado. I always hear texans complaining how expensive it is here. Well, its still half the price of California on the average. But its about 40 percent more than Texas. Most Californians I know eventually bite the bullet and move back to California. We west coasters can not take the weather. The traffic, although not as busy is dangerous as all get out in Texas. No beaches, No mountains for 8 hours (who cares about the hill country, those are would be bumps in my Great state of Colorado, and My Great state of Washington....btw props to the great state of California. The Cascades and Rockies VS the Hill country of Texas.....ha ha ha what a joke. Hey your coast is ok though texas...when a hurricane isnt about to destroy the town attached to it. Im super sick of the California bashing. I don't even live there.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
ladysrodgers>>I'm insensitive? I'm the Californian getting bashed here for loving my state.....remember?
Wait. Isn't Texas your state now? Or do you still live in California?

I was born in Missouri, but I left when I was a child and don't consider myself 'from' there. Every other place is just where I've lived. My state is wherever I live (except Wisconsin, and they apparently didn't want me there - no way to get a license without getting married...). Hate to break it to ya, but if you have a Texas driver's license, you're a Texan.

Oh, and you're not getting bashed for liking (or loving) California; you're getting bashed for denigrating Texas.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,676 times
I left California, because I wanted to leave California...I hate it when folks want where they more to be what they left.
MBG

Old 09-16-2007, 03:47 PM

27 posts, read 88,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Just browsing the Austin forum I saw a thread on Californians moving to Texas and felt compelled to post this.Checkout my road trip thread for some photos.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...road-trip.html

Bu I want to say I spent time in Texas lately and love it.I talked to a few Texans which are nice people and a few of them told me they are not too happy with Californians moving there,specially Austin.It has driven up values to where some Austin natives can't afford it anymore.

Further more politically wise I would like to remind Californians that moving to Texas they should consider themselves Texans and not Californians in Texas.I think much of the political mumbo jumbo that Californians supported in California could turn Texas into another California.The same could be said about my home state Florida.

So respectfully agreeing with some Texans I spoke with,that government regulation,taxes and firearm legislation is not wanted by most Texans.Or it will turn into another California.
I whole-heartedly agree with you. Austin is probably the most liberal large city we have now in TX and you have pointed out one of the reasons why.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Texan View Post
I whole-heartedly agree with you. Austin is probably the most liberal large city we have now in TX and you have pointed out one of the reasons why.
I for one would like to turn Texas into California, first thing we can do is take down the Lone stare flags and shove that Bear flag everywhere. Lets hear it for the new Texafornia!!!!! hey either way I can still get a awesom fajita in either state.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:54 PM

27 posts, read 88,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Wait until Texas is overrun by the cash-out people and housing is unaffordable and COL is up for even NATIVE TEXANS. I don't care that they are 'legal' in the Federal Government's eyes, they are still outsiders and 'illegal' in the State government's eyes! We need to control the quality of people who come through the borders of TEXAS. Remember Josh Mauldin? The Illegal vs. Legal debate are a distraction from the real problem of the cash-out people.--Oh the scare tactics that extremist use.

Sorry, this native Texan will not jump on the band wagon of xenophobia. Our country historically owes a great deal to outsiders. I, for one, am tired of people in this country being so unwelcoming to people from other parts of North America and the rest of the world. I don't care where you came out of your mother; afterall we all live on this treacherous Earth and have to make the best of it.
Am I misunderstanding what you wrote, or do you not have a problem with ILLEGAL immigrants who are here in TX?

Old 09-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Texan View Post
Am I misunderstanding what you wrote, or do you not have a problem with ILLEGAL immigrants who are here in TX?
you know I lived in the Pacific NorthWest and was spoiled with mountains. I then moved to Austin Texas.....no mountains. I just could not stand it. land with out mountains are just ugly wastelands. I ended up moving to the Rocky Mountains, top reason was just so I could look up when Idrive around and see those oh so protective mountains. Usually places with out mountains have a common site of cookie cutter neighborhoods as far as the eye can see. No Mountains to break up the sea of boreing homes.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
i just fail to see the appeal of California. now, i have not been to many places in California-my visits have been to: Beverly Hills, LAX, Huntington Beach, Oceanside, Del Mar By The Sea, San Diego, North Island, Santa Monica.
i disliked every bit of it. i found the people, in general, to be very superficial, not homey or down to earth, very materialistic, very liberal, the traffic horrendous. (i will never forget when i was a flight nurse and landed in Santa Monica and had to then transport my patient by ground ambulance to Los Angeles Childrens Hospital-i had never seen so many lanes on a freeway, and crazy drivers. i was skeered to death. in terms of housing, i just saw so much congestion-cookie cutter houses so close together. no wide open spaces to breathe in! i just dont get it. i know i would be making A WHOLE LOT of money in California as an RN and I will give California credit for being a union state for RN's and keeping RN salaries high and nurseatient ratios appropriate and safe. but even with $100,000 a year i would make in California, with the cost of living, i would be MUCH poorer, where in Texas an RN can make $85,000 (or more) and wow...look at what we can buy for under 200K-in some areas, heck, we can even buy a mini-ranch for that!! quality of life is SO much better in Texas. oh and we dont have state income tax!!
friendlier folks, wide open spaces...cant get any better

Old 09-16-2007, 09:53 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Wait. Isn't Texas your state now? Or do you still live in California?

I was born in Missouri, but I left when I was a child and don't consider myself 'from' there. Every other place is just where I've lived. My state is wherever I live (except Wisconsin, and they apparently didn't want me there - no way to get a license without getting married...). Hate to break it to ya, but if you have a Texas driver's license, you're a Texan.

Oh, and you're not getting bashed for liking (or loving) California; you're getting bashed for denigrating Texas.
I haven't denigrated Texas. I'm just saying get off the poor Texas bandwagon of blaming Californians for the changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas