Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,325 times

Advertisements

I'm considering attending the University of Texas-Brownsville because I want to earn a degree in elementary education along with a bilingual education endorsement. The campus looks gorgeous (from the pictures I've seen), but most of what I've read describes UTB as having incredibly low standards. Is it really that bad? Will I be able to pursue graduate studies after graduating from UTB, or even get a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:51 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times
while many college ranking systems have multiple flaws I have seen a ranking system that showed UTB was highly ranked as far as upward mobility it provided for graduates

the standards you mention are more than likely admissions requirements which really don't reflect the quality of education as much as the reflect the academic preparation and standardized test scores of those admitted

more importantly would be to look at the % passing rate on the Texas Teacher Certification Exam

THECB > Accountability System >

if you follow that link, hit "go" on the right hand side, then under success->key measures->teacher production passing rate->total you check the box and then hit generate and you will see that while UTB is lower than most schools it is above UTEP, TAMU-K, UH-Downtown, and TAMU-I, PVAMU, and of course Texas Southern (pretty much goes without saying they will drag ass in any and all categories of ANYTHING education or university related) on the passing rates for most if not all the years of 2004-2008

you can further break it down by race if you are one that might feel the color of your skin will somehow limit your performance VS others sitting right in the same environment learning the same information

so I would say UTB more than fits the bill for someone wishing to get a teaching certificate and a bilingual cert as well (since there is a LOT of "bilingualness" going on down there)

further I rarely if ever see rankings for education departments especially as it relates to actual teacher production VS research and if you ever bump into people having an in depth discussion of the rankings of their universities college of education you know you are probably in the midst of a pack of morons anyway

as for graduate school.....the vast majority of schools have graduate admissions based on some collection of, overall GPA, GPA on last 60 hours, GPA in your major, and the GRE scores.....provided you make the cut on those factors I would see no reason you would not get into any graduate program in Texas and probably anywhere else unless you get down to them wanting to take in state first VS out of state ect.

as for getting a job.....yes of course or the program would have already been shut down my the UT System or the State of Texas, or it would have had it's accreditation stripped by one or more agencies

bilingual will help......if you are math or science even more so

it is much harder to get a teaching job lately than in the past so keep that in mind......but if you choose the right areas (as listed above), make the grades, and perform well on your internship, there should be no reason you will not find a job

poor grades, lack of "getting involved", choosing the wrong teaching areas, and a poor internship......well it goes down from there......too picky about where you want to be.....be prepared to wait it out or get a call at the last minute or to sub your way into an eventual job

you should have no concerns going to UTB

Old 12-28-2010, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 61,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJayne View Post
I'm considering attending the University of Texas-Brownsville because I want to earn a degree in elementary education along with a bilingual education endorsement. The campus looks gorgeous (from the pictures I've seen), but most of what I've read describes UTB as having incredibly low standards. Is it really that bad? Will I be able to pursue graduate studies after graduating from UTB, or even get a job?
Is there a way to send you a private message on this forum? I can't find any such button.

Yes, UTB has a gorgeous campus. I'd rather describe other stuff privately. Note that UTB-TSC is going through a transition now. UTB and TSC community college are getting a divorce. The transition will happen over 4 years. UTB wants to stop having open admissions. So 4 years from now, UTB may be very different.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
It's currently the only college to get shot at by another country.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:04 PM

15 posts, read 61,704 times
I figured out how to send a direct message by clicking on the OP's username. I sent one.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
It's currently the only college to get shot at by another country.
I think UTEP also holds that distinction.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I think UTEP also holds that distinction.
It may be within range but UTB is the only one I've seen documented where bullets have hit cars and buildings on campus, campus events have been postponed or canceled due to violence across the border, and which holds drills where students head for shelter and huddle on the floor.

UTB student body is over 90% Hispanic, not that that means the school is rated lower but something you should know to determine if you will fit in comfortably.

Oops, I was wrong, seems bullets have also been known to hit UTEP campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: