Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 30,910 times

Advertisements

My company might move me to Laredo, TX from New England. Does Laredo have the normal malls (ie., Sears, J.C Penney, Target ?). What about crime in general ? I don't have any kids to school so that is not an issue. What is single family housing like price wise and what are some good areas to live in ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 AM

634 posts, read 2,922,307 times
of course it does. You can check out Mall Del Norte [i think its called]
on wikipedia.

It has everything.

Lots of American stores because the rich Mexicans go there to shop across the border.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:33 AM

21 posts, read 114,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEKOUT View Post
My company might move me to Laredo, TX from New England. Does Laredo have the normal malls (ie., Sears, J.C Penney, Target ?). What about crime in general ? I don't have any kids to school so that is not an issue. What is single family housing like price wise and what are some good areas to live in ??
hello NEKOUT,

I'm from Laredo, Texas

Malls:
Currently there are 2 malls and 2 being built at this time. Laredo has one of the largest malls in South Texas (Mall del Norte) with over 1,198,000 squared feet. Mall del Norte The other mall is half the size and its called El Portal Mall it is currently being remodeled and will become an indoor outlet mall in the near future.

Currently being built:
Piazza del Sol to open 2009 Open Air / Indoor Mall
Laredo Town Center to open 2009 Indoor Mall

Housing Costs:
Apartment monthly rent $500-$1000 (1 or 2 bedroom)
House monthly rent $1000+

The best place to live is either in North Laredo or Central Laredo (near mall del Norte. Try to avoid south Laredo (lots of traffic / poverty)

Violence:
You should do your own research on that but from my 25 years living here I'd say its low to average.

Laredo Morning Times - News - Top Stories (broken link) (Laredo's Newspaper)

Good luck! I hope you become one of Laredo's newest residents.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 AM

634 posts, read 2,922,307 times
^^ Great information!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:59 AM

443 posts, read 1,566,769 times
mucho, mucho problems across the border in nueva laredo. Not much spillover yet, but I would be concerned it may start. Good luck on the move, very poor area, not particularly scenic....vast difference from New England on all fronts. But hey, housing is much cheaper and it does have most of the conveniences of an average American city of 150k, maybe even more as an earlier poster suggested because of the wealthy Mexicans crossing the border to shop. Learn some spanish if you don't already know some.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:21 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
Low crime in Laredo? Why do a lot of houses have a 10' cinder block wall around them then?

Nuevo Laredo is considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world with the two rival drug cartels entrenched there. There are tons of kidnappings and murders there weekly. It does affect americans...

Americans caught in drug-related disappearances in Mexico
By Susana Hayward
Knight Ridder Newspapers
Posted on Thu, Aug. 04, 2005

Since January, at least 107 people have been killed in a fierce war that pits rival drug gangs in an increasingly violent struggle to control this key crossing point into the United States. Bodies are found in streets showing evidence of painful deaths: tortured, bound and gagged, handcuffed, with missing limbs. Some have been burned alive.

But the deaths are only part of the story. Since last fall, 23 Americans and at least 400 Mexicans have disappeared here, and their relatives complain that little is being done to investigate the disappearances or stop the gangs who perpetrate them.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:17 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
from New England? wow. you are in for a HUGE HUGE culture shock

Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM

184 posts, read 863,158 times
I agree bellestaroftexas. I wouldn't want to live there under any circumstances

Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 AM

21 posts, read 114,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Low crime in Laredo? Why do a lot of houses have a 10' cinder block wall around them then?

Nuevo Laredo is considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world with the two rival drug cartels entrenched there. There are tons of kidnappings and murders there weekly. It does affect americans...

Americans caught in drug-related disappearances in Mexico
By Susana Hayward
Knight Ridder Newspapers
Posted on Thu, Aug. 04, 2005

Since January, at least 107 people have been killed in a fierce war that pits rival drug gangs in an increasingly violent struggle to control this key crossing point into the United States. Bodies are found in streets showing evidence of painful deaths: tortured, bound and gagged, handcuffed, with missing limbs. Some have been burned alive.

But the deaths are only part of the story. Since last fall, 23 Americans and at least 400 Mexicans have disappeared here, and their relatives complain that little is being done to investigate the disappearances or stop the gangs who perpetrate them.

We're talking about Laredo, Texas not Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico most of the violence in Nuevo Laredo is connected to drug trafficking including most of its murders. The average Joe can go across the river into Nuevo Laredo and not get killed unless that Joe is looking into buying 20 kilos of cocaine. I've been there hundreds if not thousands of times and haven't been kidnapped or killed.

Like I said before if you want info on violence in Laredo you should do your own research and not listen to people that haven't even been here or may have but haven't lived here.

Murder Rate in Texas:
Dallas 16.4 per 100,000 people
Houston 16.3 per 100,000 people
Galveston 13.7 per 100,000 people
Fort Worth 9.8 per 100,000 people
Laredo 8.1 per 100,000 people
other border cities < 8.1 per 100,000 people
San Antonio 6.8 per 100,000 people
Boston, MA 6.6 per 100,000 people
Austin 3.8 per 100,000 people
El Paso 2.3 per 100,000 people

Sources:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html
Crime Rates for Selected Large Cities, 2003 &mdash; Infoplease.com

Good places to start:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Laredo-Texas.html
Laredo, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Official City of Laredo Homepage
Laredo Morning Times - News - Top Stories

have a nice day

btw I've never seen 10' cinder block fences around houses in Laredo, Texas

Last edited by AMAPO; 07-18-2007 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-18-2007, 01:09 PM

184 posts, read 863,158 times
AMAPO, it's understandable to feel protective of where one's hometown is. It's nice to see, actually. You gave the OP information he/she ask for and since you are from Laredo you would know such information.
However, I have been to Laredo (unlike the OP) but I am not from Laredo (like the OP) so I offered a one line observation that I truly feel about that area. It's nothing personal, I assure you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas