Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:37 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Keep in mind WT, you maybe legally able to defend yourself which I agree with but it will be a heavy burden to carry the rest of your life if you kill or permanently paralyze another human being.

That guy you shoot is the son, father or husband to someone who loves him. Make sure before you pull the trigger you are justified. Many times they break into camps to sleep or are looking for food.
And many other times they break in looking for cash, guns and people to rob and kill. Those people are also sons, fathers or husbands who are also loved and who work hard to buy or build nice things only to have them trashed and stolen by others.

Sure, killing someone would be a heavy burden to carry but most people would much rather carry that burden than to take a chance of being murdered. Any time you choose to use deadly force to defend you should be justified, that's a given that any reasonable gun owner understands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Any time you choose to use deadly force to defend you should be justified, that's a given that any reasonable gun owner understands.
As a native Texan who grew up on ranches, with guns and today carries a licensed concealed handgun, I agree 100%. If I use my tools to protect myself I want to make a reasonable decision I'm justified.

I just wanted to give WT a moment to think about how it would affect his life if he acted in haste. Sometimes in haste is all we have but from my experience most illegals break into empty cabins and normally avoid people. (But these days may be different)

But he sounds like a good common sense West TX guy and will use good judgement.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:12 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,972,549 times
thank you Rakin....I really appreciate it...I am a good-common sense West Texan and I will use good judgement....I appreciate your thoughts on this thread.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:56 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
thank you Rakin....I really appreciate it...I am a good-common sense West Texan and I will use good judgement....I appreciate your thoughts on this thread.
Common sense isn't so common anymore, especially once you leave TX.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:14 PM

haha thats very true Backspace

Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Location: Cornudas TX better known as Glory Land east of Paradise
120 posts, read 235,820 times
the way I understand the law is if you fear for your life or anyone else is in danger then you can legally shoot them. Don't quote me, but that is the way I read the law. Anyone else that knows for sure then jump in and tell us.

Bob

Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 AM

Thanks Bob.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM

433 posts, read 459,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Hi everybody, i have a question.I'm going hunting tommorow and some illegal immigrants trashed the deer camp.So I was wondering, can you legally shoot an unarmed person if they're attacking you or someone you're at the deer lease with.?Thank yall in advance.
Keeping in mind the key phrase being "attacking you or someone you're with" you're allowed to defend yourself and others with an appropriate level of force. Big guy- small unarmed attacker might be problematic. You also need to understand there will be a criminal investigation; you may be arrested until cleared of criminal wrong. You almost certainly would be able to bond out, just something to keep in mind.

As well; Never use a firearm to threaten, KNOW that you're going to kill someone when you pick up the gun- it's their choice whether you have to follow through.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM

714 posts, read 2,932,493 times
I took my CHL class a few years ago, and after hearing all the issues of when to shoot/when not to shoot, I thought "is this really worth it? It may be easier if I just let the bad guy kill me." (Just kidding) It is a life changing event for the CHL person, something that will always be with you, "I've taken someone's life," no matter if it is justified or not. Plus there is the civil liability, you may be cleared of criminal charges, but the bad guy's family can file a law suit against you.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
I took my CHL class a few years ago, and after hearing all the issues of when to shoot/when not to shoot, I thought "is this really worth it? It may be easier if I just let the bad guy kill me." (Just kidding) It is a life changing event for the CHL person, something that will always be with you, "I've taken someone's life," no matter if it is justified or not. Plus there is the civil liability, you may be cleared of criminal charges, but the bad guy's family can file a law suit against you.
You cannot be sued under the Texas Castle Doctrine as long as you were justified in the shooting....In other words you are protected under Texas law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas