Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 07:09 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
I don't see what's so Texan about Lake Charles. I think cultural influence across the Sabine flows more from east to west than in the opposite direction.

The opposite may be true in Northwest Louisiana where Shreveport is said to be an extension of East Texas, but I feel even that is overstated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 07:24 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Don't let them hear you say that. When I'd said something similar about Houston, they ate me up. lol
Me having lived in both, I honestly don’t see where you’re coming from about Houston seeming more Louisiana than texas. I can understand Beaumont, but Houston’s Louisiana culture is too dimmed and overshadowed by not only the latino population, but many other cultures that exist. Port Arthur and Beaumont I do see it, but these are also a lot more Texas than Louisiana. And there is actually a dispute going on about what is what as seen from both sides.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I don't see what's so Texan about Lake Charles. I think cultural influence across the Sabine flows more from east to west than in the opposite direction.

The opposite may be true in Northwest Louisiana where Shreveport is said to be an extension of East Texas, but I feel even that is overstated.
The thing is, Louisiana culture is the most easy to spot out of all USA cultures. Because to blunt, it’s the weirdest (the most unique). Texas culture is closer to American culture than Cajun culture is and also than Creole culture. It takes a Louisianian to know one, and in Lake Charles, the Cajun culture is a lot dimmer than for example Scott, or Lafayette. To you, it may not be much and you may not see it, but to them, it’s crystal clear that Lake Charles has a lot dimmer of Cajun culture going on. You may say, “oh but it isn’t that much less” but to them it’s A LOT less. And by the time you get to Beaumont, the Cajun culture only exists by pockets. To a Texan who hasn’t fully lived in the real Cajun country, that’s a lot. But to a Louisianian, that’s nothing. It’s the difference of the point of view that make it that way.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Me having lived in both, I honestly don’t see where you’re coming from about Houston seeming more Louisiana than texas. I can understand Beaumont, but Houston’s Louisiana culture is too dimmed and overshadowed by not only the latino population, but many other cultures that exist. Port Arthur and Beaumont I do see it, but these are also a lot more Texas than Louisiana. And there is actually a dispute going on about what is what as seen from both sides.
Practically grew up in this region and can't help but to disagree. Demographics, economy, food, weather, and terrain in the Golden Triangle all scream Southwest Louisiana. "Texas" in this part of the state amounts to Spindletop and the handful of decent Tex-Mex restaurants you can find. No one comes here for brisket barbecue.

Now that I live in San Antonio, I feel as if I'm in the heartbeat of what makes Texas Texan, and that feeling quickly fades for me the minute I'm east of downtown Houston.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Practically grew up in this region and can't help but to disagree. Demographics, economy, food, weather, and terrain in the Golden Triangle all scream Southwest Louisiana. "Texas" in this part of the state amounts to Spindletop and the handful of decent Tex-Mex restaurants you can find. No one comes here for brisket barbecue.

Now that I live in San Antonio, I feel as if I'm in the heartbeat of what makes Texas Texan, and that feeling quickly fades for me the minute I'm east of downtown Houston.
But I actually lived in Southwest Louisiana. And just like you’re saying there’s only those few Tex Mex spots, taquerias and BBQ joints, Louisiana sees those and they see a lot of Texas culture in their minds with it. In Lake Charles, currently there’s only 2 places that qualify as actual taquerias. Victoria Taqueria and Taco Mel. In Beaumont however there’s plenty. Just an example.

The same goes Vice versa, Beaumont doesn’t have the extreme amount of crawfish shacks and actual boudin being sold in markets, etc, etc etc but there are relative good amount compared to other places outside of Louisiana. To a Texan, those make it seem super Cajun and to a Louisianian, they seem nonexistent.

These examples are only nutshells and analogies by the way

Old 12-15-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
The thing is, Louisiana culture is the most easy to spot out of all USA cultures. Because to blunt, it’s the weirdest (the most unique). Texas culture is closer to American culture than Cajun culture is and also than Creole culture. It takes a Louisianian to know one, and in Lake Charles, the Cajun culture is a lot dimmer than for example Scott, or Lafayette. To you, it may not be much and you may not see it, but to them, it’s crystal clear that Lake Charles has a lot dimmer of Cajun culture going on. You may say, “oh but it isn’t that much less” but to them it’s A LOT less. And by the time you get to Beaumont, the Cajun culture only exists by pockets. To a Texan who hasn’t fully lived in the real Cajun country, that’s a lot. But to a Louisianian, that’s nothing. It’s the difference of the point of view that make it that way.
Likewise, any Louisianan that would call Lake Charles a Texan city hasn't spent enough or any time in the most unique parts of our state. And since when did Cajun become synonymous with Louisianan?

Quite frankly, the GT along with Lake Charles could be called a state all unto theirself, but the assertion that the unique elements of Texas leave a bigger cultural footprint on this area than that of Louisiana isn't well supported.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
But I actually lived in Southwest Louisiana. And just like you’re saying there’s only those few Tex Mex spots, taquerias and BBQ joints, Louisiana sees those and they see a lot of Texas culture in their minds with it. In Lake Charles, currently there’s only 2 places that qualify as actual taquerias. Victoria Taqueria and Taco Mel. In Beaumont however there’s plenty. Just an example.

The same goes Vice versa, Beaumont doesn’t have the extreme amount of crawfish shacks and actual boudin being sold in markets, etc, etc etc but there are relative good amount compared to other places outside of Louisiana. To a Texan, those make it seem super Cajun and to a Louisianian, they seem nonexistent.

These examples are only nutshells and analogies by the way
A blind one, possibly. There's no dearth of crawfish or boudin anywhere in Southeast Texas. Meanwhile, there's barely a large enough Mexican population to support a noteworthy Tex-Mex restaurant scene; maybe in Port Arthur but certainly not in Orange or any place just north of there.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:14 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
I respect your views, PS, but I think you don't want to see similarities. LOL.

To me, Houston feels less like "Texas" when compared to the rest of the cities to which I've traveled and visited in the state. Houston has that look that's very swampy and coastal, of which most of Southern Louisiana looks like. The regional and local cultures here are very tied to Louisiana and the Gulf Coast; There's Mardi Gras in Galveston and zydeco festivals held multiple times during the year. Crawfish is eaten as if it is the last supper here, and ALL races eat crawfish here.

Chambers County, itself, has a large percentage of Cajuns; Liberty County does as well.

I do agree that Houston is very diverse and has a multitude of cultures, which may dilute the Louisiana culture to some people. As mentioned, the local and regional cultures upon which Houston is built are mostly tied to Louisiana, IMO. I will say that the New Orleans culture is a little newer mostly because of Hurricane Katrina, but a lot of Houston was built by people from Southwest Louisiana who brought their culture here with them. They are the reason why zydeco was born here.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I respect your views, PS, but I think you don't want to see similarities. LOL.

To me, Houston feels less like "Texas" when compared to the rest of the cities to which I've traveled and visited in the state. Houston has that look that's very swampy and coastal, of which most of Southern Louisiana looks like. The regional and local cultures here are very tied to Louisiana and the Gulf Coast; There's Mardi Gras in Galveston and zydeco festivals held multiple times during the year. Crawfish is eaten as if it is the last supper here, and ALL races eat crawfish here.

Chambers County, itself, has a large percentage of Cajuns; Liberty County does as well.

I do agree that Houston is very diverse and has a multitude of cultures, which may dilute the Louisiana culture to some people. As mentioned, the local and regional cultures upon which Houston is built are mostly tied to Louisiana, IMO. I will say that the New Orleans culture is a little newer mostly because of Hurricane Katrina, but a lot of Houston was built by people from Southwest Louisiana who brought their culture here with them. They are the reason why zydeco was born here.
Houston feels less Texas than most of Texas but it isn’t because of the Louisiana scene. It’s because of the melting pot that exists. If in your mind, Tex-Mex is Texas, then San Antonio is what feels like Texas the most. If old school western and BBQ is what makes you feel at Texas, then you’ll feel Texas culture more in Arlington or suburban austin. Now, if diversity makes you feel in Texas, you feel it more in Houston or Dallas. Louisiana doesn’t have that and that alone kills anything making it seem like Louisiana.

Personally, I do think Beaumont is more Louisiana than Lake Charles is Texas, but I don’t blame the people of Louisiana of feeling otherwise because I’ve seen their point of view. Texas culture isn’t unique the way Louisiana culture is (and actually no American culture is unique as Louisiana) and wherever you go and spot even the smallest amount of Louisiana culture taking place, it goes unnoticed. Texas culture, while it has its unique twist, it’s a lot more similar to American culture. To people of Louisiana, Lake Charles is very dim compared to the rest of the state. If you go to Lafayette and surrounding cities (Scott, Crowley, etc), it doesn’t get more Cajun than that. Lake Charles dimmed a lot even more and by the time you’re in Beaumont, it is non existent to a true Cajun.

On geography, yes most of Houston is similar to southwest Louisiana. But I’m not arguing that. I’m arguing the cultural feel. Houston shouldn’t even be an argument. Beaumont, I can actually see it but anything farther West hell no. Not even Winnie.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Lake Charles dimmed a lot even more and by the time you’re in Beaumont, it is non existent to a true Cajun.
Are you making this statement as a true Cajun or are you merely speaking for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas