Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas Pass an Open Carry Law for Firearms?
Yes 62 63.92%
No 35 36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I'm sorry sweat, but I still have no real clue as to what you are saying and/or asking. At best, any of it is only vaguely discernible. Again, I am honestly not trying to be rude or anything, but I confess to a total lack of understanding of what you are driving at here...

If you can explain yourself a bit better -- perhaps one question/statement at a time -- then I am sure there are other posters who can provide input.
TexasReb I may be confused with Texas vs other states or north.

In other states or north you are not allowed to have guns any where unless you are hunting or on private property with permission from the owner or your own property .

You are saying the laws in Texas it does not better you can have guns every where private property or NOT ? Even in public ? And this all types of guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
In Texas it is legal to openly carry a loaded long gun in public - streets, parks, etc., but not handguns. Very few do because it would just invite harassment by law enforcement, particularly in a city. Handguns must be concealed and you must have a CHL. No CHL necessary to carry your handgun concealed in your vehicle.

Private property? No problem unless it's posted with an official sign, or is a restricted venue.

All the above are for law-abiding adult citizens (and foreign residents) who are not felons, adjudicated mental cases or addicts.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:38 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You get odd looks? That's interesting! But I bet it's not from longtime natives!

I'm headed home very soon, and I can't wait to get back to Texas, though it's not in your neck of the woods! I haven't been to Houston since 1988 or so.
I do, I think its because most people think of TX as having good gun laws and don't know that NM is one of the best States for it. Houston is nice, glad I made the trade-off for rural NM to here.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Several states are lots gun friendlier and more 2nd Amendment compliant than Texas. And that's a fact.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
That is true and most people think it would be the other way round.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
That is true and most people think it would be the other way round.

If you're coming from NYC anywhere else is like heaven for gun owners!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM

84 posts, read 135,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
If you're coming from NYC anywhere else is like heaven for gun owners!
Or if coming from California...

Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Several states are lots gun friendlier and more 2nd Amendment compliant than Texas. And that's a fact.
Mainly because TX doesn't have OC. Other than that, The Lone Star State ranks pretty well when it comes to the 2A!

I know some people argue "Constitutional Carry" in that there should be no licensing requirements whatsoever; but I don't subscribe to that. I have no problems with state governments regulating carrying in public, what you do on your won property is your business but elsewhere there needs to be laws and regulations to maintain good order.

If a state feels its citizens should be allowed to carry without a license, that's fine; but acting like requiring one somehow impedes on the 2A is a bit ridiculous in my book...

Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
I think open carry would be awesome, with guns in holsters clinking on people's hips. I'm not joking. If concealed carry is cool (lawful), then open carry should be too.

And if, with open carry, people are frightened by the sight of guns being openly carried by civilians in public places, then maybe we should rethink our other gun laws. Security by obscurity is never a good idea.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM

84 posts, read 135,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Mainly because TX doesn't have OC. Other than that, The Lone Star State ranks pretty well when it comes to the 2A!

I know some people argue "Constitutional Carry" in that there should be no licensing requirements whatsoever; but I don't subscribe to that. I have no problems with state governments regulating carrying in public, what you do on your won property is your business but elsewhere there needs to be laws and regulations to maintain good order.

If a state feels its citizens should be allowed to carry without a license, that's fine; but acting like requiring one somehow impedes on the 2A is a bit ridiculous in my book...
I agree. I'm one of the biggest supporters of the 2nd Amendment and I have no problem with having to be licensed to carry a gun (concealed or not) on you in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas