U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 AM

30 posts, read 82,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Actually, you are completely wrong. My brother in law attends IDEA and my daughter attended Quest (part of IDEA). My daughter got in via lottery. My brother in law got in because he enrolled the first year. The demand for IDEA is so high now, you must get on a waiting list. Hardly like ANY public school as you state.

As for folks listening to someone who lives in Houston? Simple. I lived in the Valley for 6 years. My view is much different than a native of the Valley. Especially someone who is blonde. I am going to assume your family has money as poor anglos in McAllen are pretty much non-existent. Haven't you ever thought for a moment that perhaps your perception of the Valley is quite skewed? Your viewpoint is the same as the Chamber of Commerce. Mine is reality. I didn't get my 600+ reputation by talking s--t. I got it from telling the truth.
Actually, I am completely wrong. My wife teaches as Quest, and she complains about all the work the teachers have to do. I assumed (wrongly so) that they took anyone and everyone who applied. I just called my wife to verify. I humbly apologize to you for what I said. You are correct.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 15,169 times
McAllen has grown so much these years. It is not the tipical border town anymore. Our Plaza Mall is the number one shoping center in the States. We have a brand new Convention Center with a beautiful entry. McAllen is a very safe and beautiful place to live in.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 AM

78 posts, read 200,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona1316 View Post
McAllen has grown so much these years. It is not the tipical border town anymore. Our Plaza Mall is the number one shoping center in the States. We have a brand new Convention Center with a beautiful entry. McAllen is a very safe and beautiful place to live in.
I agree 100 percent

Old 05-22-2009, 12:45 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,217,074 times
Let's just say my boyfriend's family from Monterrey were not fans. Their complaint: not much of a cultural experience for them. Positive: Generally speaking, its the nicest of the larger border cities. To each their own I suppose.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 AM

398 posts, read 1,151,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Let's just say my boyfriend's family from Monterrey were not fans. Their complaint: not much of a cultural experience for them. Positive: Generally speaking, its the nicest of the larger border cities. To each their own I suppose.

mcallen... culture. lolz.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:15 PM

30 posts, read 126,230 times
Try go for a visit http://www.picturehoster.org/storage/461.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-30-2009, 01:02 AM

5 posts, read 22,120 times
Mc Allen's Culture... Is Rich in Art, Music, and so very much more. Do not mean to advertise. Just sharing a little of what our culture truely is... And yes, it's there.

Images of McAllen | Culture | Arts, Music, Festivals and Food Part of McAllen’s Rich Culture (http://imagesmcallen.com/index.php/site/articles/culture/arts_music_festivals_and_food_part_of_mcallens_ric h_culture - broken link)

Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,333,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona1316 View Post
McAllen has grown so much these years. It is not the tipical border town anymore. Our Plaza Mall is the number one shoping center in the States.
That has nothing to do with McAllen and everything to do with Mexican nationals who come over and shop.

The RGV is the poorest region in the US, it would be hard, nay, impossible for any city in the RGV to have the best mall by sales if not for the wealthier Mexican nationals.

Last edited by lemonfresh; 05-30-2009 at 01:59 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,333,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooreslife View Post
Mc Allen's Culture... Is Rich in Art, Music, and so very much more. Do not mean to advertise. Just sharing a little of what our culture truely is... And yes, it's there.

Images of McAllen | Culture | Arts, Music, Festivals and Food Part of McAllen’s Rich Culture (http://imagesmcallen.com/index.php/site/articles/culture/arts_music_festivals_and_food_part_of_mcallens_ric h_culture - broken link)
Please don't take any of this the wrong way but that link does more to prove it doesn't have a great art scene or a big cultural presence.

I mean, where it describes the Culture:

Quote:
McAllen is an area with a burgeoning arts culture. The city is known state-wide for the quality and quantity of its artists.
It then lists the Cultural venues.

• International Museum of Art and Science
  • McAllen Convention Center
  • McAllen Public Libary

First off, McAllen really isn't known state-wide for it's quality and quantity of its artists. That's a nice made up claim but it's not true. Second, the list of venues is small, just three. And aside from a Museum the rest are city owned civic institutions. A convention center and a library. Pretty weak stuff.

You're proud of that stuff and I take nothing away from that, but sometimes its best to be more realistic with things.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 PM

108 posts, read 296,271 times
Found these pictures of McAllen on www.panoramio.com/
all copyright panoramio

Downtown McAllen

rush hour in McAllen

View from the south of McAllen

Compass Bank Tower in Uptown McAllen

Chase Tower in Downtown, Christmas season

the New McAllen Convention Center

Fountain On Bicentennial Blvd, Bensten Tower, Downtown

Sunrise Downtown McAllen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas