Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,598,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It tries so hard to shed the stereotypical Texas image that it comes off as contrived.
Then again, Houston never had the Texas image thrust upon it so hard like Dallas has. All of the sports teams in Dallas summon that image, the TV show Dallas summons that image, and it has gotten to the point (whereas DANNY pointed out at the start of this thread) that just the name Dallas summons that image. Yet, the reality of Dallas is that it isnt anything like that.

I do agree, Dallas seems to hate anything country and it seems to hate the fact that its in Texas. But if you had all of those stereotypes forced on you for years, yet you were nothing like that, wouldnt you also try really hard distance yourself from them?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:55 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,325,658 times
My last post was something completely different than your conversations. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Then again, Houston never had the Texas image thrust upon it so hard like Dallas has. All of the sports teams in Dallas summon that image, the TV show Dallas summons that image, and it has gotten to the point (whereas DANNY pointed out at the start of this thread) that just the name Dallas summons that image. Yet, the reality of Dallas is that it isnt anything like that.

I do agree, Dallas seems to hate anything country and it seems to hate the fact that its in Texas. But if you had all of those stereotypes forced on you for years, yet you were nothing like that, wouldnt you also try really hard distance yourself from them?
Is this real in bold? Is that the perception in Dallas? Seems like it is now on the level of Austin lol.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM

68 posts, read 178,746 times
I would simply just say both cities are similar, but different at the same time. From experience Houston culture & people have the more laid-back feel of the two cities. And I always said Houston has the Louisiana mix feel and Dallas the more Western or Mid-Western mix feel to it. But they both are still down home Texas!!!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Is this real in bold? Is that the perception in Dallas? Seems like it is now on the level of Austin lol.
After reading it again, I dont know if Dallas hates that its in Texas, but there is a real distaste for all things country here (in the city anyway). Of course, our neighbor to the west is country enough for everyone.

I think it has to do with what I mentioned about the stereotypes having been forced harder on Dallas than Houston.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,049,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

Houston image is just as ruined and stereotyped as Dallas. Neither are exactly perceived as what they are; however, instead of getting rid of it. I would find a way to make use of it and incorporate it into the city.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston image is just as ruined and stereotyped as Dallas.
Houston has delt with some of the same stuff in that way, but I dont think its as bad as what Dallas has had to deal with.

Without knowing anything about either city, the name "Dallas" summons up a more country and western image than the name "Houston" and it doesnt have much to do with the reality of what either city actually is.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:08 PM

68 posts, read 178,746 times
Also, I would like to add, another item that could be factored in this, "country" than the other notion.

If I recall correctly, Dallas' socio-economic demographics is more extreme, due to having a smaller middle-class, where as Houston has a bigger middle-class than Dallas. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I havn't recently researched any stats, but Dallas is like either you're well off or you're not. Not all accross the board, but percentage wise it leans that way. I feel maybe this has something to do with the "country" stuff in my opinion.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:26 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,554,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
All the YouTube rap videos are not the point on the differences between Dallas as Houston. To me, both cities can come off "country" or "southern" and also ghetto as well. Houston is a bit of a Louisiana extended and not to bring up music again, but Houston reminds of how Beyonce talks, "southern" with a country twang (She sounded like a slave in the movie "Obsessed) for better words. I met some women from Fort Worth and they do pronounce their words like those from St Louis, "hurr" and "thurr" and "gurl" its kind of cute and funny, but country, lol. But Houston people say "gal" and "naw" a lot when talking and that "nawf" side when referring to how country the people from north Houston are. But Dallas style and dress was comparable of Houston, Dallas might ahead when it comes to music (they way more and better stations and black shows than Houston) and their city seems more ahead the way its built.
Yes Houston pronounces "here" like "heya" and Dallas pronounces it "hurr". But East Texas pronounce it the same as Dallas does. But the further south you get in east texas like Nacadoghes and Lufkin you start hearing "heya". Which is funny since alot of the older black populations come from east texas and migrated to the bigger areas like DFW and Houston many generations ago.

What black shows does Dallas have? And Dallas seems more ahead then Houston?? lmao ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
"blew up mainstream", to me, is what happened to atlanta. houston has had stints of mainstream popularity, and they've definitely influenced a lot, but i still say they lacked the style and direction it takes to really blow up.

you're really just splitting hairs now, man. just like i don't know too many people outside of texas and louisiana who are familiar with houston neighborhoods. most of my cousins are from georgia and south carolina, and they wouldn't be able to tell you anything about houston

why are you so interested in taking away from dallas? i clearly stated that people who listend to dallas rap would be familiar with their neighborhoods. if someone doesn't listen to houston rap, they likely won't have a clue about any of the 'hoods.
Blew up mainstream=means they were accepted by the mainstream audience which that happened. The thing is once Houston blew up they were not consistent in mainstream and fizzled in hip-hop. They had the style but what alot of people who didn't know anything about Houston rap scene was that when Houston blew up mainstream wise. It was already going down hill and it lacked the newer generation of rappers to carry the torch. Not to mention houston was always a indy rap city so they couldn't make that proper transition from being a successful indy rap scene to commercial successful rap scene.

What Dallas rap scene tho? They couldn't even name Dallas artist let alone Dallas hoods. Dallas doesn't have a real major rap scene. They have singles and dances. People know the dances. But Dallas artist don't do a good job of promoting the city like Houston did. Name me Dallas artist who do a good job of putting it down for Dallas culture and hoods.

Quote:
Lil wayne lives in Miami. He just went to the University of Houston.

nah. Krump. As in the dance. It's pretty popular in Houston. I think it came from Los Angeles.

But it's not that Houston rappers had terrible videos (which btw, I agree with you). It's just that you couldn't party to any of it and that's what drives a good bit of music. Not to mention that other than Chamillionaire who is decent, the rest was trash lyrically. In 05, people got tired of what the Houston rappers were talking about. Mainstream quickly shut them off because all they wanted to do was talk about cars and syrup. Even I got annoyed by that. Houston was misrepresented that year.

I do believe the newer artists from Houston are nothing like that. I mean nothing.
You couldn't party to Houston music? That's your opinion. But we use to party super hard to Houston music. This was back in East Texas. Every East Texas city/town was nothing but Houston music. Even in Dallas that's all you heard was Houston music. Houston/Atlanta/ and New Orleans music. thats why Dallas music is a mixture of Houston/Atlanta/Louisiana music mixed in w/ there own style. Houston rappers like Paul Wall,Mike Jones,Flip,Cham all went platinum. Trust me I think there music w/ the exception of old Cham was horrible. But I'd be damn if I didn't frequent the clubs or parties and people weren't jamming "Still Tippin" which was played EVERYWHERE or "Back Then" or "Sitten Sideways". The newer artist from Houston are trying to sound like Dallas records. But the newer rappers have no buzz. Houston radio rarley plays there ****. Only Kirko Bangz one song. and Beat King(which sounds like a Dallas record) Dallas and Houston artist(the new generation) have no longevity partner. They just dance to it in the club not even knowing who the artist is. Don't buy the records just move on to the next gimmick. This fad is quickly dying as we speak.

Quote:
Well a couple years ago, the Dallas hip hop community didn't know if it wanted to be Houston or be Atlanta. It didn't have an identity. But over the past year, they actually found their identity. Whether that's good or bad is up to that person.
Dallas doesn't have a real hip-hop community. They have a 1 hit wonder community. Because the artist don't get past 1 hit. There actually repeating the same mistake Houston did in 05-06. Which was only give you one side of the culture. Dallas only coming out with dance records. Atleast Houston had bigger sales then Dallas rappers. Dallas rappers aren't selling any records. it's a gimmick city for the most part

Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,325,658 times
Still Tippin (especially) and Back Then are not party or dance songs. They are ridin songs and I can barely grant you sittin sidewayz. Houston isn't really the type of city that makes music for people to dance to. If Houston wanted to dance, they popped in somebody from Memphis, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, or New Orleans. If they wanted to chill and offer up a different feel than what those other cities provide, than they pop in somebody from the home team.

I also disagree that Dallas does not have a hip hop community. While you may not have heard of many acts, it still exists and trust, many people out in California know Dallas hip hop scene from the back in the day. Don't believe me, check SOHH and siccness. But there is nothing gimmicky about Dallas hip hop scene. Now today's scene does suck. Won't disagree with that.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:57 PM

103 posts, read 312,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yes Houston pronounces "here" like "heya" and Dallas pronounces it "hurr". But East Texas pronounce it the same as Dallas does. But the further south you get in east texas like Nacadoghes and Lufkin you start hearing "heya". Which is funny since alot of the older black populations come from east texas and migrated to the bigger areas like DFW and Houston many generations ago.

What black shows does Dallas have? And Dallas seems more ahead then Houston?? lmao ok

Blew up mainstream=means they were accepted by the mainstream audience which that happened. The thing is once Houston blew up they were not consistent in mainstream and fizzled in hip-hop. They had the style but what alot of people who didn't know anything about Houston rap scene was that when Houston blew up mainstream wise. It was already going down hill and it lacked the newer generation of rappers to carry the torch. Not to mention houston was always a indy rap city so they couldn't make that proper transition from being a successful indy rap scene to commercial successful rap scene.

What Dallas rap scene tho? They couldn't even name Dallas artist let alone Dallas hoods. Dallas doesn't have a real major rap scene. They have singles and dances. People know the dances. But Dallas artist don't do a good job of promoting the city like Houston did. Name me Dallas artist who do a good job of putting it down for Dallas culture and hoods.

You couldn't party to Houston music? That's your opinion. But we use to party super hard to Houston music. This was back in East Texas. Every East Texas city/town was nothing but Houston music. Even in Dallas that's all you heard was Houston music. Houston/Atlanta/ and New Orleans music. thats why Dallas music is a mixture of Houston/Atlanta/Louisiana music mixed in w/ there own style. Houston rappers like Paul Wall,Mike Jones,Flip,Cham all went platinum. Trust me I think there music w/ the exception of old Cham was horrible. But I'd be damn if I didn't frequent the clubs or parties and people weren't jamming "Still Tippin" which was played EVERYWHERE or "Back Then" or "Sitten Sideways". The newer artist from Houston are trying to sound like Dallas records. But the newer rappers have no buzz. Houston radio rarley plays there ****. Only Kirko Bangz one song. and Beat King(which sounds like a Dallas record) Dallas and Houston artist(the new generation) have no longevity partner. They just dance to it in the club not even knowing who the artist is. Don't buy the records just move on to the next gimmick. This fad is quickly dying as we speak.

Dallas doesn't have a real hip-hop community. They have a 1 hit wonder community. Because the artist don't get past 1 hit. There actually repeating the same mistake Houston did in 05-06. Which was only give you one side of the culture. Dallas only coming out with dance records. Atleast Houston had bigger sales then Dallas rappers. Dallas rappers aren't selling any records. it's a gimmick city for the most part

I am referring to the black radio shows, Like Dallas have Michael Basiden, Steve Harvey and I think Wendy Williams at one (not sure) all we have in Houston is boring "Tom Joyner", plus Dallas have more hip hops station and their music there is not edited like here in Houston. Our music is very laid back and almost conservative. Like Z-ro "These Days", so Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas