Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 01:02 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Probably ATLiens (Not all btw); they have a habit of thinking they are more progressive and city than others. I've experience this firsthand.
That habit comes from being the only progressive city in the southeast. no disrespect to the southeast but outside of Atlanta that's all the region really has going for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well, all three cities really are on the same level
What puts ATL on even par with Dallas and Houston metro is they have a plethora of colleges in the metro. They may lag behind DFW and Houston in most statistical categories but they are ahead of DFW and Houston in higher education.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
That habit comes from being the only progressive city in the southeast. no disrespect to the southeast but outside of Atlanta that's all the region really has going for it.
Charlotte and Raleigh say hello.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
As far as the Southeast is concerned the Bible Belt omitted Raleigh because its stated to be the most liberal city in the Southeast.

Notably absent from this belt are the areas of:
- St. Louis, Missouri (majority Roman Catholic and large Jewish population)
- South Florida (mostly Roman Catholic, Jewish, and secular)
- Austin, Texas (mostly a secular city; has the lowest church attendance rate in the entire South)[citation needed]
- South Texas (majority Roman Catholic)
- Houston, Texas (a religiously diverse city; most religiously diverse city in the South)
- New Orleans, Louisiana (majority Roman Catholic)
- Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina (largely liberal and low religious attendance that extends to the Outer Banks)
- Asheville, North Carolina (largely secular city)

Bible Belt: http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/bible_belt
Secondary Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

Old 12-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Charlotte is Atlanta step child. They buy right into ATL being king of the region. I use to try to defend Charlotte but if the people in Charlotte feel there city isn't on par with ATL its a loss cause.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:51 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
the southeast has plenty going for it, outside of atlanta

Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
As far as the Southeast is concerned the Bible Belt omitted Raleigh because its stated to be the most liberal city in the Southeast.

Notably absent from this belt are the areas of:
- St. Louis, Missouri (majority Roman Catholic and large Jewish population)
- South Florida (mostly Roman Catholic, Jewish, and secular)
- Austin, Texas (mostly a secular city; has the lowest church attendance rate in the entire South)[citation needed]
- South Texas (majority Roman Catholic)
- Houston, Texas (a religiously diverse city; most religiously diverse city in the South)
- New Orleans, Louisiana (majority Roman Catholic)
- Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina (largely liberal and low religious attendance that extends to the Outer Banks)
- Asheville, North Carolina (largely secular city)

Bible Belt: bible belt: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article
Secondary Source: Bible Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
eh, it is religiously diverse, but i still place it in the bible belt. right in the same group as dallas and atlanta: housing many different beliefs from all over the world, but still having that significant evangelical, protestant community

and as far as i know, south texas and south florida have never been a part of the true bible belt

Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
eh, it is religiously diverse, but i still place it in the bible belt. right in the same group as dallas and atlanta: housing many different beliefs from all over the world, but still having that significant evangelical, protestant community

and as far as i know, south texas and south florida have never been a part of the true bible belt
Actually, Atlanta isn't apart of the Bible Belt either. I agree with you on some stuff but I don't think these big cities are Bible Belt, based off feel With Houston & Atlanta, I can even cite why they aren't from other analysts, and with Dallas, its too large to be a bible thumping area. Maybe historically it was the buckle of the bible belt but I doubt it is now.

This is what they have to say about Atlanta:
- Atlanta, Georgia (massive gay population, rapidly growing Jewish and Roman Catholic)
Here: Bible Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And being a Hindu, more leaning on Atheist, I haven't ever had any complications with religion. No ones bothered me about it, no ones come to my door to tell me all about Christianity, no ones done anything about it. Been to Atlanta, no ones bugged me there before either. Joplin, Missouri & Little Rock, Arkansas, I ran into a few people who questioned me on it but thats all the Bible Belt experience I've had personally. And they didn't mean any harm either.

So nah, they aren't in the Bible Belt in any sense (Houston, Atlanta, Dallas). If they were, a lot of people knocking on my door would go back to their homes with a broken nose for meddling with religion, I never take too kindly with that. Religion is a private matter, and I believe people should keep it to themselves and not get involved in the lives of others. But that's just me though. These aren't religiously nut job cities, and I go for information cited. Anyone and everyone can say "but I feel (insert city and condition here)" and try top pass it off as a fact.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Atlanta isn't apart of the Bible Belt either.

This is what they have to say about Atlanta:
- Atlanta, Georgia (massive gay population, rapidly growing Jewish and Roman Catholic)
Here: Bible Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And being a Hindu, more leaning on Atheist, I haven't ever had any complications with religion. No ones bothered me about it, no ones come to my door to tell me all about Christianity, no ones done anything about it.

So no, they aren't in the Bible Belt. These aren't religiously nut job cities, and I go for information cited. Anyone and everyone can say "but I feel (insert city and condition here)" and try top pass it off as a fact.
When did wiki become a reliable source. Atlanta would most defintely fit the mode of a bible belt city. Plenty of gay christians in the world you know. Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta would not fit the mode of a traditional bible belt city but nonetheless they are still deeply rooted in christianity.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
When did wiki become a reliable source. Atlanta would most defintely fit the mode of a bible belt city. Plenty of gay christians in the world you know.
I never use Wikipedia as a reliable source. I used a different source in my first post as primary and just threw Wikipedia in for kicks as a secondary basis for a source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas